The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
Well are we talking about your preferred response or what's actually possible legally?

Considering we're discussing the possibility of actually non-insane gun legislation being proposed and prosecutors unable (or unwilling) to take the kinds of actions that should be appropriate responses...I think this is a quality example to bring up of how things should change.

We talk about David Gregory not being prosecuted...and I'll grant, there should have been something done against him and the network for violating local law...but compare the two situations. A guy goes on the Youtubes and says he's going to start killing people, versus a guy who shows off a high capacity magazine illegal in that city. The guy who went on the Youtubes and threatened the country if he doesn't get his way...can go off and buy a dozen of those magazines and thousands of rounds of ammunition, today if he wanted to, and he's not breaking the law until he loads the gun right before he carries out his threat.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
The issue is publicly insulting our entire justice and legislative system on national TV, not the actual crime that Gregory committed.

And I think going on youtube and threatening to kill people does the exact same thing.

And I think going on youtube and threatening to kill people does the exact same thing.

Except he's facing consequences...

And, have we settled the legality of what he said? Is it really against the law to be hyperbolic?

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
that's the appropriate response"?

of course it is. have stringent weapon registration and no conceal weapons permits solves all crime problems. just ask the Democrat party. So TN solved the problem perfectly according to Democrat philosophy.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
of course it is. have stringent weapon registration and no conceal weapons permits solves all crime problems. just ask the Democrat party. So TN solved the problem perfectly according to Democrat philosophy.

Tennessee has licensing of weapon ownership? This is news to me.

The first time Clarence Thomas speaks during oral arguments in 7 years, and they don't even know what he said:

Justice Clarence Thomas broke his nearly seven-year silence at Supreme Court oral arguments Monday. But no one is sure exactly what he said.

Thomas seemed to be making a light-hearted joke about lawyers trained at his alma mater Yale Law School, or its rival, Harvard. But several justices were speaking and laughing at the time, and the court reporter lost Thomas’s comments during the crosstalk.

FWIW I have zero problem with his stance.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/01/ch...ians-with-guns/

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

--------

f*** this city.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/01/ch...ians-with-guns/

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

--------

f*** this city.

By the time the cops get there the situation will have been resolved one way or another, so I don't think the cop is going to sneak up and surprise anyone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
It's fun watching so-called responsible gun owners angry at the people who actually have to deal with the results of their so-called responsibility.

More fun than watching the same people deal with the aftermath of cops that cannot and/or will not protect them. More angry at the closed minded elite than think only they can responsibly wield guns, or that only they need armed protection. Maybe they can just make the whole city a Gun Free Zone, that might keep people safe.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 12:17 AM)
More fun than watching the same people deal with the aftermath of cops that cannot and/or will not protect them. More angry at the closed minded elite than think only they can responsibly wield guns, or that only they need armed protection. Maybe they can just make the whole city a Gun Free Zone, that might keep people safe.

This is really a stellar metaphor for this nation's gun culture.

A guy who actually has to deal with the consequences of irresponsible gun owners and telling them they're going to get themselves killed, being lectured about how important it is that they have their guns everywhere.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 05:49 AM)
Remember when you told that story about you hiding in your basement until the cops came

No, wife and kids hid in the basement, I was upstairs with my shotgun in case they decided to come up to my house. And they guys left before the cops arrived. Also, I lived in a small town where even the farthest point is less than a 5 minute drive to the other side, especially with cop lights going. Remember the post earlier about the woman who shot the home invader in the face? The criminal even managed to crawl to his car and drive away before police arrived. Maybe she should have just waited. Or yelled out that her house was a Gun Free Zone and that he should just leave now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
This is really a stellar metaphor for this nation's gun culture.

A guy who actually has to deal with the consequences of irresponsible gun owners and telling them they're going to get themselves killed, being lectured about how important it is that they have their guns everywhere.

I would say he deals with the consequences of ILLEGAL gun owners more than anything.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
No, wife and kids hid in the basement, I was upstairs with my shotgun in case they decided to come up to my house. And they guys left before the cops arrived. Also, I lived in a small town where even the farthest point is less than a 5 minute drive to the other side, especially with cop lights going. Remember the post earlier about the woman who shot the home invader in the face? The criminal even managed to crawl to his car and drive away before police arrived. Maybe she should have just waited. Or yelled out that her house was a Gun Free Zone and that he should just leave now.

Regardless of where you were hiding, your possession of a gun made zero difference in your scenario.

I don't oppose possession of guns in the home for self-defense pursuant to certain safe-storage requirements. But I also don't accept the argument that the police are useless and that everyone without a gun is defenseless.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Ok, so how do we stop or lessen illegal gun ownership? National registry and tracking to crack down on straw purchases?

I'll agree with the second part, but there is no need for the first. A registration just makes them easier to confiscate. How about automatic long jail times for felons, who can't own guns, who are even caught possessing a gun? This way some judge can't make the jail time go away for the gun crime.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
Regardless of where you were hiding, your possession of a gun made zero difference in your scenario.

I don't oppose possession of guns in the home for self-defense pursuant to certain safe-storage requirements. But I also don't accept the argument that the police are useless and that everyone without a gun is defenseless.

Nope, sometimes they're the problem:

http://www.suntimes.com/17574642-761/city-...crime-area.html

Chicago taxpayers will spend $22.5 million to compensate a mentally-ill California woman who was arrested and held overnight, then released in a high-crime neighborhood, where she was kidnapped and sexually assaulted before falling from a seventh-floor window of a CHA high-rise.