The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
You can say "I'm not attracted to men sexually" without the description. It's really not hard. Here's an example..."I'm heterosexual. I'm attracted to women and I'm not attracted to men."

Being vulger and being hateful are two different things. The argument wite appears to be making isn't that it was vulger, it was hateful, which is ludicrous.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Why the f*** not? Seriously, is that how far we've come now? We can't even express to people what we like and don't like at the risk of offending someone? Jesus Christ.

How do you feel about what Riley Cooper said? He didn't do anything illegal, and frankly, he said a lot less, but he was still scrutinized to holy hell.

There's no need to talk about the physiological aspects of sex, nor to suggest one is superior to the other. I'm straight, I love women and vaginas and boobs and whatever, but I don't believe gay people are sinners and I don't believe they are wrong.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Being vulger and being hateful are two different things. The argument wite appears to be making isn't that it was vulger, it was hateful, which is ludicrous.

No, I think it was vulgar as hell. There's no need to talk about vaginas and anuses to the general public unless you are a gynecologist or proctologist, and I would hope that's only if you are announcing some sort of break through medicinally.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)

Having your sexual orientation once again compared to f***ing animals isn't just "vulgar." It was pretty explicitly hateful.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
If I publicly made similar comments I'd expect HR to be at my desk the next day and rightfully so.

I think it'd be pretty s***ty if your employer fired you for comments you made elsewhere that were in no way related to your job, weren't made as a representative of the company and you weren't a public face of the company/brand. But they absolutely can fire you for that or less or nothing at all in most places.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
From the accounts I've read including the one presented by him in that article, this TV show made a really big deal out of "staying out of the politics". They wanted to be able to market to as wide of an audience as possible by building a show around a conservative family in that arena, but they wanted to keep the anti-gay, quasi-racist stuff completely out of the show because otherwise they'd wind up with criticism and backlash that would completely undermine their marketing.

This interview was the exact opposite of what they wanted for the show. Even by his own account during that interview, they don't want political talk of the sort that would cause controversy.

Which is frankly a lot of bulls***. I watch the show and they've had at least one episode where they introduce Phil to a flaming homosexual pet photographer for the sole purpose of Phil's reaction. Back country, caked in mud redneck meets flamboyant, color coordinated "yuppie" from the city (yuppie being a phrase he uses all the time to describe anyone who doesn't live off the land) was the entire gag.

A&E knew what they were dealing with and knew this would eventually happen. And frankly they're making a horrendous business mistake here. These guys are going to go to another network and A&E will be back to airing biographies from the 90's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
No, I think it was vulgar as hell. There's no need to talk about vaginas and anuses to the general public unless you are a gynecologist or proctologist, and I would hope that's only if you are announcing some sort of break through medicinally.

Now we've come full circle when liberals/progressives want our speech to be curbed for the sake of what, manners? Should women start covering up too?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Having your sexual orientation once again compared to f***ing animals isn't just "vulgar." It was pretty explicitly hateful.

That wasn't wite's argument. It was saying "vagina" and "anus" because we're apparently all 12 and don't have those body parts.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
Which is frankly a lot of bulls***. I watch the show and they've had at least one episode where they introduce Phil to a flaming homosexual pet photographer for the sole purpose of Phil's reaction. Back country, caked in mud redneck meets flamboyant, color coordinated "yuppie" from the city (yuppie being a phrase he uses all the time to describe anyone who doesn't live off the land) was the entire gag.

A&E knew what they were dealing with and knew this would eventually happen. And frankly they're making a horrendous business mistake here. These guys are going to go to another network and A&E will be back to airing biographies from the 90's.

A&E can control what gets on the air for an episode (apparently Phil has complained in the past that they cut out some religious stuff). Maybe they're trying to get a redneck stereotype reaction to a gay city boy, but they can control it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Now we've come full circle when liberals/progressives want our speech to be curbed for the sake of what, manners? Should women start covering up too?

lolwut

edit: you should familiarize yourself with the perpetual outrage machine that is Twitchy before trying to say it's a "liberals/progressives" thing.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)

He of course has every right to say those things. I have zero interest in curbing his right to say those things.

He does not have a right to a TV show.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
How do you feel about what Riley Cooper said? He didn't do anything illegal, and frankly, he said a lot less, but he was still scrutinized to holy hell.

There's no need to talk about the physiological aspects of sex, nor to suggest one is superior to the other. I'm straight, I love women and vaginas and boobs and whatever, but I don't believe gay people are sinners and I don't believe they are wrong.

Well that's another conversation, as I think a lot of that was overblown too. But if Phil had started calling people f**gots I'd probably agree with you guys when you say it was all hateful speech. But he didn't. He was telling a reporter in his home that he didn't understand why a man would like another man's butt when he could have a vagina, which he likes. It's literally saying I'd like to bang that weather girl in the other thread which multiple did (btw, how horrible of all of you, you're hateful towards straight women and gay men).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
lolwut

edit: you should familiarize yourself with the perpetual outrage machine that is Twitchy before trying to say it's a "liberals/progressives" thing.

I can think of no good reason why adults can't use the worlds vagina and anus other than a fear of offending someone's sensibilities, which was a "conservative" issues for centuries that "liberals/progressives" always argued against.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
Well that's another conversation, as I think a lot of that was overblown too. But if Phil had started calling people f**gots I'd probably agree with you guys when you say it was all hateful speech. But he didn't. He was telling a reporter in his home that he didn't understand why a man would like another man's butt when he could have a vagina, which he likes.

You know what else he did? He compared it to bestiliaty.

It's literally saying I'd like to bang that weather girl in the other thread which multiple did (btw, how horrible of all of you, you're hateful towards straight women and gay men).

No, it's really not.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
I can think of no good reason why adults can't use the worlds vagina and anus other than a fear of offending someone's sensibilities, which was a "conservative" issues for centuries that "liberals/progressives" always argued against.

I don't know why you're only looking at one or two sentences of what he said. If he had only said "I prefer vaginas to anuses," it'd be weird and probably get some attention on pop media websites, but nobody would really care.

You've also evaded the point that people wanting other people fired from their jobs over something they said is hardly limited to liberals/progressives.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
You know what else he did? He compared it to bestiliaty.

No, it's really not.

By saying it was a sin, like adultery and other things, sure. Like comparing the Cubs and Yankees as baseball teams.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
I'm not going back over this with you, which is why i'm responding to wite's argument which was limited to just those words.

You're ignoring most of what he said and the context of it so that you can pretend people are upset that he said the words "vagina" and "anus."

Who are these liberals that you speak of?

I have to imagine that Im (by the historical definition) the most liberal and I dont care what this guy says.

I always attribute the quote to Voltaire (there is some historical debate), but I think he said it best:

I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
I don't know why you're only looking at one or two sentences of what he said. If he had only said "I prefer vaginas to anuses," it'd be weird and probably get some attention on pop media websites, but nobody would really care.

You've also evaded the point that people wanting other people fired from their jobs over something they said is hardly limited to liberals/progressives.

I don't know why you keep ignoring the other half of what he said which was everyone is a sinner, we don't judge, we love and respect everyone and let God judge later on.

I still want to know why the Pope is an advocate for gay people and Phil is some awful, hateful human being. They believe and say the exact same things. Neither one is the extreme anti-gay groups that tell people they'll be burning in hell.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
By saying it was a sin, like adultery and other things, sure. Like comparing the Cubs and Yankees as baseball teams.

You know, that analogy sort of proves the point. He's likening being gay to animal f***ing, and let's not all pretend there isn't a lengthy, bigoted history behind that comparison.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
You're ignoring most of what he said and the context of it so that you can pretend people are upset that he said the words "vagina" and "anus."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)