The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
I agree with you, but the problem is people like SS and organizations like GLAAD b**** and whine and call people pretty awful things and then eventually get them fired or in trouble for it. All in the name of tolerance and acceptance mind you.

LOL, keep pretending that s*** like Twitchy doesn't exist and that conservatives don't b**** and whine and try to get people fired for saying things. Damn liberals!!!

eta: also I could have sworn I've said multiple times that I don't necessarily agree with his suspension.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Not sure if it's a choice. I tend to think it's not. That's why I don't judge people or treat them differently for it. It's up to God to do that eventually, if he chooses to.

I hope that all of life is a choice. I like brunettes better than blondes, i feel some sort of inherent draw to dark haired girls with lighter skin. Is that a choice or is that something thats hardwired into my dna for whatever scientific reason.

Who knows, and more importantly, who cares.

Is it a choice to marry a white or black girl? Should it be illegal just because its a choice?

Saying I dont judge people would be the biggest lie. I judge people on their wife, I judge people on their boyfriend, I judge them on a million things. You could be gay and a horrific person, you could be gay and the best person. The reality is it wasnt you being gay, it was something else that made me judge you.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I can't help it if you don't read what I posted with regard to the Pope. The Pope and Church still consider homosexuality a sin and yet he's being praised for his "modern" view of "acceptance" instead of condemnation.

You're quibbling over the fact that Robertson gave examples of certain sins in discussing sinful behavior (of which you keep keying in on bestiality despite the fact he gave several other examples). What difference does it make if the Pope says homosexuality is a sin or that homosexuality is a sin just like X, Y and Z? There is none.

At the end of the day they're both saying homosexuality is a sin but we should still love sinners, teach them about Jesus and let God judge them later. It's not "our" job to do that.

The Pope is getting lauded by some for changing the church's direction and message. It was a notable change, and people generally like to encourage positive movement even if it's not the full measure they want. That said, not everyone in the LGBT community or people who support LGBT rights is embracing the Pope.

Phil Robertson didn't do anything like that. He followed the long line of explicit, anti-gay bigotry of lumping it in with bestiality. That's not quibbling, that's just recognizing very common anti-gay bigotry. Pope Francis would not have been lauded by The Advocate had he mentioned bestiality along with homosexuality. At the end of the day, the words people actually use and the history behind them actually matter.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
The Pope is getting lauded by some for changing the church's direction and message. It was a notable change, and people generally like to encourage positive movement even if it's not the full measure they want. That said, not everyone in the LGBT community or people who support LGBT rights is embracing the Pope.

Phil Robertson didn't do anything like that. He followed the long line of explicit, anti-gay bigotry of lumping it in with bestiality. That's not quibbling, that's just recognizing very common anti-gay bigotry. Pope Francis would not have been lauded by The Advocate had he mentioned bestiality along with homosexuality. At the end of the day, the words people actually use and the history behind them actually matter.

And all the b****ing/moaning does more to undo all of the hard work people like me have put in to get gay people treated equally.

But c'est la vie, I can only begrudgingly drag people along, I cant force them to be clever.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
LOL, keep pretending that s*** like Twitchy doesn't exist and that conservatives don't b**** and whine and try to get people fired for saying things. Damn liberals!!!

eta: also I could have sworn I've said multiple times that I don't necessarily agree with his suspension.

I honestly had never heard of Twitchy before your post earlier today, but remind me of a time when a celebrity or TV personality has been suspended/fired from a show for making a remark that can be considered negative towards a conservative or conservative minded person.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:21 PM)
LOL. Wouldn't be surprised...

via

Keynote of what? AMC's greatest hits?

If by 2016 the Republican party hasnt accepted gay rights, they are doa. They need to accept that, because otherwise democrats are going to go out of control and there wont be a balance.

For the sake of the US, please get it together, please remember that you are the party of "SMALL GOVT" and small govt includes not regulating who I have sex with or what drugs I take.

Yes, "by some" you mean the oldest gay magazine in existence. And Time magazine. You know, that barely known publication.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
Keynote of what? AMC's greatest hits?

If by 2016 the Republican party hasnt accepted gay rights, they are doa. They need to accept that, because otherwise democrats are going to go out of control and there wont be a balance.

For the sake of the US, please get it together, please remember that you are the party of "SMALL GOVT" and small govt includes not regulating who I have sex with or what drugs I take.

They're probably DOA anyway. I'd imagine they'll accept gay marriage. But you'll still have to play the "I think it's a sin based on my religious beliefs but no one should be denied rights" card like Obama.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Why do I care?

Time called Hitler the man of the year, and Stalin too.

Why do you keep saying that? I don't care if you care. I don't care if you don't care that I care. That's not adding anything to this discussion. Obviously people DO care, so that's what we're debating.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
They're probably DOA anyway. I'd imagine they'll accept gay marriage. But you'll still have to play the "I think it's a sin based on my religious beliefs but no one should be denied rights" card like Obama.

Why even get into the latter?

Why not just say: Republicans are small govt and we want to treat everyone equal and we want to restrict govt intrusion into peoples lives.

And when they ask about gay marriage/sex, why not just answer: Thats not my concern.

Because really its not.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Why do you keep saying that? I don't care if you care. I don't care if you don't care that I care. That's not adding anything to this discussion. Obviously people DO care, so that's what we're debating.

And what Im debating is why do you care? Why do you care if time says something and some stupid magazine says something, and whatever else? They are just publications to make money, thats all they are about. They arent about the truth, they arent about helping people, they are to sell magazines and make money for a group of rich people that are completely disconnected from real life.

So the point is, maybe instead of fixating on that s***, maybe we can get past it. But we never will if half of the arguments are:

Republicans did something bad.

Democrats did something bad.

Yours was worse

Nuh huh yours was worse.

Well look no one said anything bad about yours.

yes they did.

Well not as bad.

---------

Its just circular bulls*** nonsense to waste our time. Why not get to the bottom of all of this.

If the law gave gay people equal rights, it wouldnt matter what people say. So lets all get together and give them equal rights, and then we can talk s*** about them just like everyone else.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Why even get into the latter?

Why not just say: Republicans are small govt and we want to treat everyone equal and we want to restrict govt intrusion into peoples lives.

And when they ask about gay marriage/sex, why not just answer: Thats not my concern.

Because really its not.

Because 60-70% of the party is religious and they vote based on that? No one is going to win the ticket on a "let everyone do whatever they want so long as they don't hurt anyone" platform.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
Because 60-70% of the party is religious and they vote based on that? No one is going to win the ticket on a "let everyone do whatever they want so long as they don't hurt anyone" platform.

Then the Republican party is dead and someone should come up with a new party.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
Then the Republican party is dead and someone should come up with a new party.

*raises hand*

I've been saying this for more than a few years now. The current party is horses***; it's being drug down by the fringe that requires the extreme right candidate out of the primaries.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Well that's a whole other animal. Why do people get pissy about what Christians believe when they don't care to be Christian? That's why I don't understand why I'm a bigot and hateful person for believing homosexuals are sinners (just like me for the various sins i've committed) according to MY RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, but don't think they should be treated as second class citizens, denied rights, etc.?

Most folks like to govern by their religious beliefs. It's basically the reason we have the many protections that we do -- people like rights, but they often fail to see/care when their desires infringe upon the rights of others. So we call out bigots in hopes that they will lose in the marketplace of ideas and we don't need to exercise legal protections for groups like LGBT people.

What the Pope has done is in stark contrast to what [we think] Phil Robertson has done in his interview. I say we think since we are presented with a certain impression of the sequence and intent of the interview and Robertson doesn't seem to be raising any issues with it.

When you ask Phil Robertson what's wrong with the world, he says it is all the gay stuff going on. To him, it epitomizes ungodliness.

The Pope's biggest message is that this s*** isn't the most important thing for the Church. He sees it becoming oversensationalized and being used as an outlet for hatred more than anything else. He rightly sees more fundamental theological issues as troubling (hey, how about all that murder out there?) as well as the immense economic inequality of the world. You can tell he recognizes how troubling it is to expect people to believe in God when he gives his infallible servant oodles of riches and much of the world gets nothing. The Pope seems to think that not only is spreading worldly comforts to everyone the right thing to do, it will bring people into the faith.

I'm not going to pretend I like the Pope because I don't believe in god(s). However, since I accept that a Pope will probably exist so long as I'm alive, he's a bit of a breath of fresh air and at least doesn't seem to contradict the doctrine which he is charged with upholding.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Why do I care?

Time called Hitler the man of the year, and Stalin too.

Person of the Year is not to be confused with Best Person of the Year. It is "for better or for worse, the person who has done the most to influence the events of the year." To not pick a guy like Hitler would have been ludicrous.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:21 PM)
I honestly had never heard of Twitchy before your post earlier today, but remind me of a time when a celebrity or TV personality has been suspended/fired from a show for making a remark that can be considered negative towards a conservative or conservative minded person.

A school in San Francisco received death threats over a fake story about an atheist teacher suspending a student for saying merry Christmas. Erik Loomis and a professor at Kansas university faced serious pressure and the UK professor might be fired for his comments about the nra. That guy on msnbc was just fired for saying offensive things about Palin.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
A school in San Francisco received death threats over a fake story about an atheist teacher suspending a student for saying merry Christmas. Erik Loomis and a professor at Kansas university faced serious pressure and the UK professor might be fired for his comments about the nra. That guy on msnbc was just fired for saying offensive things about Palin.

Bashir resigned, after being suspended. Sure, we all know he was told to, but he still did it. And Phil's comments were made in a print interview. Bashir's were made on TV, where the decency standards are supposed to be a bit higher. I have no idea what you are referring to in the other two, will look them up later.

Bashir is a piece of s*** and I don't think I'd say what he said, but it wasn't absolutely crazy. More vulgar, weird, and indecent than anything else. That is, unless I'm not remembering correctly. I think he just said somebody should s*** in her mouth.

On one hand, I want to say that Bashir's comments wouldn't have cost a better journalist his or her job. On the other, a better journalist never would have f***ing said that.

Regardless it's ridiculous to pretend that conservatives never try to get people fired or send death threats because of what they said.

Eta not sure why it took me this long to remember the Dixie chicks fiasco. Also the boycotts of businesses that say happy holidays, all of that ridiculous anti-French stuff, etc.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:21 PM)

I just checked out Twitchy and all I can see is them making fun of the stupid tweets people make and point of craziness. Sample 'posts', or whatever you call them: Rut-roh! New individual mandate delay spells trouble for Pajama Boy [Photoshop], Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen calls out Mariah Carey over gig for Angolan president, Quack-up: How CNN website originally quoted Obama saying ‘we screwed it up’, Place your bets! Will someone ask Obama about ‘Duck Dynasty’ at today’s presser?, Barney Frank joins CNBC as contributor, hilarity guaranteed to ensue, MSNBC ‘reporter’: Criticism of OFA #PajamaBoy is cyberbullying; Mockery dons a onesie, TMZ’s Harvey Levin calls A&E’s suspension of Phil Robertson ‘outrageous’ and so on.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
Regardless it's ridiculous to pretend that conservatives never try to get people fired or send death threats because of what they said.

Eta not sure why it took me this long to remember the Dixie chicks fiasco. Also the boycotts of businesses that say happy holidays, all of that ridiculous anti-French stuff, etc.

They just seem to be following the rules that liberals set up.