The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

USPS has to raise all of the money for those pensions/benefits, yes? That's the whole issue with their budget - they have to have over 70 years of retirement benefits in the bank at all times.

The USPS represents, to me, the thing I hate most about today's mainstream conservatives. They want USPS run like a private business because they think that works better. We see a degradation in an essential service because of this. However, because they are a government organization and must be (nobody would serve those remote areas otherwise), they still have to take directions from Congress, who does not fund them. It's like a stupid mixture of free market conservatism and authoritarian conservatism - I want free markets and I want to tell them what to do!

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
USPS has to raise all of the money for those pensions/benefits, yes? That's the whole issue with their budget - they have to have over 70 years of retirement benefits in the bank at all times.

The USPS represents, to me, the thing I hate most about today's mainstream conservatives. They want USPS run like a private business because they think that works better. We see a degradation in an essential service because of this. However, because they are a government organization and must be (nobody would serve those remote areas otherwise), they still have to take directions from Congress, who does not fund them. It's like a stupid mixture of free market conservatism and authoritarian conservatism - I want free markets and I want to tell them what to do!

It's about crushing the sizable public union that represents postal workers first and foremost imo.

Its too bad there aren't more regulations for having adequate pension funding.

It's not just that ridiculous time period that no one, public or private, ever has to follow, it's also that Republicans mandated that the funds for the 70 years be built up over a pretty short period of time. An overwhelming majority of the USPS's budget shortfalls are due to the pension pre-funding. The rest can be attributed to the same people that forced that funding scheme also blocking the USPS from actually competing with private companies in offering new services.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
It's not just that ridiculous time period that no one, public or private, ever has to follow, it's also that Republicans mandated that the funds for the 70 years be built up over a pretty short period of time. An overwhelming majority of the USPS's budget shortfalls are due to the pension pre-funding. The rest can be attributed to the same people that forced that funding scheme also blocking the USPS from actually competing with private companies in offering new services.

No business could make money with such a 75 year pension requirement to be funded in a 10 year window. Darrell Issa thinks it is so great to make the PO do it but when ask in a hearing on it why doesn't the FBI or IRS or any other government agency have to do this he said meeting adjourned. What a asshole. Issa's wife is a lobbyist for UPS no conflict of interest here. The PO is making money IF not for this 75 year prefund requirement this is a 100% manufactured crisis.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-26...eats-again.html

Shocking? Not really. I expect nothing less from this administration. They can't lower the bar any farther.

There has to be copies to who they sent emails to. The Obooooma administration the worst I have ever seen top to bottom.

The USPS was a once useful business in which progress/technology has surpassed. That's not to say it's not still useful, but it's not needed anywhere near 6, 5 or even 4 days a week anymore.

Anyone that claims they trust the USPS to deliver their packages over UPS or FedEX is, IMO, a liar. Their service degraded because they hired a lot of really s***ty workers that didn't give a f*** about their job (and that's not to say UPS or FedEX don't have their share of such people, too.) I've had more packages lost by the USPS I can't even count, and it's safe to say their customer service is worse than Comcast's -- which is quite a feat of strength. When I see someones shipping through USPS off of Amazon (or other online retailers), I try to find a vendor that sells the same product that doesn't...for reasons. Honestly, they could take this "essential service" down to one day a week and I wouldn't care, that'd be 5 less days I have junk mail delivered to me -- because that's pretty much all the USPS delivers these days.

I do agree with your final sentence, however...but isn't that how our governments been working for decades now?

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 05:42 AM)
I remember that under Bush, no emails or tapes of torture were ever lost or intentionally destroyed.

So you are comparing the CIA to the iRS? Torturing some terrorist vs intentionally distributing citizens tax information and intentionally targeting individuals? We're the torture emails linked to the White House? Another Liberal false equivalency.... But then you liberals have his cock so far down your throat ......oh forget it....this is why nobody posts in here anymore.....because even with something this blatant you will try to defend him...and you are not even doing that...you are comparing him to something that happened 8 yrs ago...what's your explanation of the thousands of illiegals Asshole is letting into the country...how many gang members and potential terrorists are included? Keep smoking the Hopium pipe...the Republicans should come out right now and not fund the EPA, the IRS, and HHS, next year. If f*** face wants to govern by executive order fiat, try funding the government that way too. f*** him and all you turds that support him...

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
So you are comparing the CIA to the iRS? Torturing some terrorist vs intentionally distributing citizens tax information and intentionally targeting individuals? We're the torture emails linked to the White House? Another Liberal false equivalency.... But then you liberals have his cock so far down your throat ......oh forget it....this is why nobody posts in here anymore.....because even with something this blatant you will try to defend him...and you are not even doing that...you are comparing him to something that happened 8 yrs ago...what's your explanation of the thousands of illiegals Asshole is letting into the country...how many gang members and potential terrorists are included? Keep smoking the Hopium pipe...the Republicans should come out right now and not fund the EPA, the IRS, and HHS, next year. If f*** face wants to govern by executive order fiat, try funding the government that way too. f*** him and all you turds that support him...

Skipping over the approval of torture in general (...), the bolded is what bothers me. In thread after thread, people like StrangeSox say they don't exactly love Obama. But then you see one post saying "Presidents doing bad things isn't unprecedented" and all of sudden they're bowing down at the shrine. It just suits your narrative.

Y2HH, it's time for another one of your "it doesn't matter which party it is" rants.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)

U mad bro?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 05:42 AM)
I remember that under Bush, no emails or tapes of torture were ever lost or intentionally destroyed.

I have a buddy who is very high up in the MIS dept at a government agency, and he LOVES him some Obama, but he confided to me yesterday that there is no way that ALL those emails could be lost unless they were erased intentionally. At most they could be lacking 2 days of backups with the systems that are in place. He is very depressed about it because he so wanted to defend the admin but on this one thing, he said he can't. Either they are lying and they are there, or they are lying and someone erased them on purpose.

And StangeSox, even if what you say is true, how does throwing it out here make what the IRS has done any better? Is it OK because 'the republicans did it too!'? If it is wrong, it is wrong.

I was more laughing at the "I would expect nothing less from this administration" stuff, and then of course the fact that it launched him in to a rant about illegals and defunding the hhs and epa was the icing on the cake.

But so far there's not any actual evidence of an ideological or political scandal at the irs. Issa is a Scum bag who only leaks what is convenient for the story he's telling.

Nixon's secretary accidentally erased 5 minutes of a crucial tape and another 18 minutes were missing from another. Stuff like that happens all the time. It doesn't mean it was on purpose.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
Nixon's secretary accidentally erased 5 minutes of a crucial tape and another 18 minutes were missing from another. Stuff like that happens all the time. It doesn't mean it was on purpose.

5 minutes of tape vs several MONTHS of emails? not even the same league. You don't accidentally lose that much email data. It gets deleted on purpose.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)

You can't honestly be comparing 70's taping technology to what we are talking about here. These are two massively different things, and one of them has all kinds of checks and balance to NOT be erased as public record.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
The USPS was a once useful business in which progress/technology has surpassed. That's not to say it's not still useful, but it's not needed anywhere near 6, 5 or even 4 days a week anymore.

Anyone that claims they trust the USPS to deliver their packages over UPS or FedEX is, IMO, a liar.

I have also found the USPS to be the least reliable.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)

Anyone that claims they trust the USPS to deliver their packages over UPS or FedEX is, IMO, a liar. Their service degraded because they hired a lot of really s***ty workers that didn't give a f*** about their job (and that's not to say UPS or FedEX don't have their share of such people, too.) I've had more packages lost by the USPS I can't even count, and it's safe to say their customer service is worse than Comcast's -- which is quite a feat of strength. When I see someones shipping through USPS off of Amazon (or other online retailers), I try to find a vendor that sells the same product that doesn't...for reasons. Honestly, they could take this "essential service" down to one day a week and I wouldn't care, that'd be 5 less days I have junk mail delivered to me -- because that's pretty much all the USPS delivers these days.

I do agree with your final sentence, however...but isn't that how our governments been working for decades now?

FYI.............UPS and Fed EX drop off 35% of there total volume packages at post office for final delivery every day and number is climbing higher every year under the last mile program. The dirty little secret is you pay the extra money at UPS and FED EX but there is a 1 in 3 chance they do not even deliver it the USPS does. 95% of customers have no idea this is happening, so finding a vendor that ships UPS or FED EX through a online vendor guarantees you nothing on final delivery.

Edited by Soxfest