The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
why is he an asshole, because you dont like what he stands for? I dont remember Tebow whoring himself of a reality tv show. I dont remember Tebow saying at his combine that he wanted to only be known as a football player and then started up a website to take advantage of his sudden fame. I dont remember Tebow saying no cameras in his house for draft day and then all of a sudden having cameras in there for a staged reaction shot.

If anyone chose to be something it was Sam and he chose to be a distraction since he left the combine.

He had a commercial that one time about abortion. And he bent his knee and pointed to the sky after scoring a touchdown. Stop jamming your religion down my throat Tebow!

Look, we all know what it was - the media. The sensation that was created. And if Sam ends up being halfway decent, the same s*** will happen. And just like Tebow, it's 100% reasonable to not want to deal with that even if you think it's a great thing for the world.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
It's a good thing there were no protests or angry people when baseball had its first African American player.

So call the owners that took that on courageous. Don't call the others racist because they didn't. That's bulls*** logic.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
I love that you live in fantasyland, but come back to reality. These people are about running a business and making money. And they do it in the most secretive way possible. Drafting Sam is inviting a lot of attention. I get that you think that's great attention, but it might not be for every franchise.

And lol at you thinking there wouldn't be protests. There were f'n protests for Michael Vick. Sam plays in St. Louis, not exactly the most liberal city in America. There SHOULDN'T be a problem, and I hope there's not. But doesn't mean there won't be additional issues that are raised IF he ends up playing a lot. And I'm not saying security risks like they have to hire 40 more guards for the inevitable riot. But they will have to be prepared for something. Remember Christians are all wacko's hell-bent on violence right?

Again, my position is you can be pro-Sam and still understand the baggage that comes with it. Baggage comes with a lot of players but they're generally worth the hassle. Sam may not be. You as an owner deciding that on those basis does not make you a dumb bigot, a terrible person or a coward.

OK, I can't take you seriously if you are going to equate the torture and murder of animals to being gay.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)
So call the owners that took that on courageous. Don't call the others racist because they didn't. That's bulls*** logic.

I understand completely. No one could ever accuse the rest of the owners in a league banning black people of being racist. They just didn't want them around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
OK, I can't take you seriously if you are going to equate the torture and murder of animals to being gay.

Please, I'm not equating the two. Simply pointing out that people protested over that, why wouldn't they protest over this? I mean, I guess I forgot that discrimination/homophobia no longer exists.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
I'd have more respect for Dungy if he just admitted he has a problem with homosexuality, instead of making up these lies about distractions.

The amazing thing is I'll bet you at some point in his lifetime someone has asked him whether being a black coach would be a distraction in the locker room. And probably a lot worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
I understand completely. No one could ever accuse the rest of the owners in a league banning black people of being racist. They just didn't want them around.

Cute!

It's still bulls*** logic though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
Except its not. In Dungy's lifetime, blacks weren't playing pro sports, because they would be a distraction.

Heck, in the last decade or two blacks as either a QB or coach were still locker room distractions.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Except its not. In Dungy's lifetime, blacks weren't playing pro sports, because they would be a distraction.

Yes it is. If an owner came out and said they didn't want to deal with Tebow's media circus, on top of not thinking he's a good player, would your immediate conclusion be that the owner is anti-Christian?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
why is he an asshole, because you dont like what he stands for? I dont remember Tebow whoring himself of a reality tv show. I dont remember Tebow saying at his combine that he wanted to only be known as a football player and then started up a website to take advantage of his sudden fame. I dont remember Tebow saying no cameras in his house for draft day and then all of a sudden having cameras in there for a staged reaction shot.

If anyone chose to be something it was Sam and he chose to be a distraction since he left the combine.

He's an asshole because that's how he comes across in every medium I've ever seen. Maybe he's a great guy in person, who knows.

And I'm not a fan of Sam's decision to do the reality show and all that jazz. That's making it about more than football.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:08 PM)
He's an asshole because that's how he comes across in every medium I've ever seen. Maybe he's a great guy in person, who knows.

And I'm not a fan of Sam's decision to do the reality show and all that jazz. That's making it about more than football.

But if you're the owner of a team you better not think about that non-football stuff or you're a bigot and a coward!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
Yes it is. If an owner came out and said they didn't want to deal with Tebow's media circus, on top of not thinking he's a good player, would your immediate conclusion be that the owner is anti-Christian?

I still thought he'd have made a solid right end.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)

I suspect you might disagree with this, but my guess is that many more people are anti-gay than anti-Christian. It's just a much less likely conclusion in general.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
But if you're the owner of a team you better not think about that non-football stuff or you're a bigot and a coward!

Well this is where it gets murky. Like I said earlier, the team should just treat him for what he is -- another player trying to make the team. But by the same token, a gay player should act the same way -- as another player trying to make the team. That's why I didn't like the reality show and stuff.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
For someone who whines about others putting words in his mouth, jenks sure does love jumping straight to the worst straw man version of what other people are saying pretty quickly.

Not sure how I'm doing that based on your responses. You've had ample opportunity to explain yourself, but here are the options you put forward:

1) draft Sam, not a terrible person

2) don't draft Sam for football reasons, not a terrible person

3) distractions don't exist, they're only fabricated by bigots and cowards, so if you don't draft Sam based on his homosexuality and anything else related to that (but still non-football related), you're a bigot and terrible person.

What exactly am I missing?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
Well this is where it gets murky. Like I said earlier, the team should just treat him for what he is -- another player trying to make the team. But by the same token, a gay player should act the same way -- as another player trying to make the team. That's why I didn't like the reality show and stuff.

Team had every right to quash that legitimate distraction. It was a personal distraction that would take away from the player's ability focus on football.

Some s*** heads protesting his being gay doesn't approach that level. And if you're an nfl head coach afraid of the media second guessing you, you have zero business being that position anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
I'd have more respect for Dungy if he just admitted he has a problem with homosexuality, instead of making up these lies about distractions.

except it isnt a lie about him being a distraction. If it wasnt going to be a distraction, then the Rams wouldnt have told Sam to not do the Oprah documentary. Just like AJ McCarron running around doing a reality show with his girlfriend can be a distraction, especially for a rookie.

There are a whole bunch of positives that come along with being the team to allow the first gay player ever on their team. It is true cowardice that someone would let anticipated awkwardness with a few powerless individuals in their midst get in the way of the tremendous good that will come to the organization for being perceived as a trendsetter.

Since we've talked about Jackie Robinson a lot, does anyone not remember what team he played for? Who the GM was who signed him?

As for fans, they'll get over anything. They'll get over black players, criminals, weirdos, you name it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Not sure how I'm doing that based on your responses. You've had ample opportunity to explain yourself, but here are the options you put forward:

1) draft Sam, not a terrible person

2) don't draft Sam for football reasons, not a terrible person

3) distractions don't exist, they're only fabricated by bigots and cowards, so if you don't draft Sam based on his homosexuality and anything else related to that (but still non-football related), you're a bigot and terrible person.

What exactly am I missing?

An awful lot of your typical bulls*** e.g. weird broadly anti-Christian stuff you're assigning to me, Your whole third point. You seem to be incapable of a good faith understanding of a position you don't agree with.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Team had every right to quash that legitimate distraction. It was a personal distraction that would take away from the player's ability focus on football.

Some s*** heads protesting his being gay doesn't approach that level. And if you're an nfl head coach afraid of the media second guessing you, you have zero business being that position anyway.

And what if Sam said no, I'm doing the show?