The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
Another example of the personal nature of liberal politics!!!

http://centraloregoncoastnow.com/2014/07/2...ned-parenthood/

Can you even read, or do you just parrot things automatically? The second line of what I wrote and you quoted is "Unfortunately even some republicans get in on that now". No where did I say only liberals do this s***. Reading comprehension, learn it. (That personal enough for ya?)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
But dungy didn't say he wouldn't draft him because he was going to do an I'll-advised reality show that is obvious personal distraction. It was more generally his being gay that was an unacceptable distraction for him.

Plenty of players have all sorts of personal distractions, but only "being gay" is a bridge too far for some.

So what are you and Balta out there doing to advance the LGBT movement, other than call everyone bigots on a message board?

If you're not very serious activists, it certainly appears that you are bigoted cowards!

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
Except he's not getting f***ed by somebody, he's being asked to kiss somebody. It's his right to not do it, but given how small of a request it is and the iffy reasoning for feeling weird about it, it's going to be difficult to sign him up to a series in the future. Maybe movies where he can know the ins and outs of his role and not jump ship as his character develops and he starts to feel weird

typical intolerant response from people who scream for tolerance.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
So what are you and Balta out there doing to advance the LGBT movement, other than call everyone bigots on a message board?

If you're not very serious activists, it certainly appears that you are bigoted cowards!

you mean you arent an activist by just posting a marriage equality symbol on your facebook page or tweeting #bringbackourgirls?

The idea here is that on-screen sexuality is not meant to be actual sexual behavior by the actors. When Actor Y kisses Actress X, that's work. That's two people doing a job. You have every right to not want to do that. There are lots of people I wouldn't really want to kiss. The idea is that if you can participate in all this non-sexual behavior for work with women, but not with men, you're way too terrified of people wondering about whether you're gay because your character did a gay thing in a movie.

And again, you can refuse this kind of work all you want. Nobody gives a s*** when women miss out on roles for refusing to get naked and/or screwed on the big screen.

I hear this all the time from the right - if you don't like the way you're being treated at work, get a new job!

I was almost going to acknowledge that it sucks, whether because you're stuffy or not, to not know what you're getting yourself into in terms of your character. People like to curate their star persona, etc. Actors turn down roles for all kinds of nonsense. But then, maybe, he should have read the stupid f***ing books:

Most of my vampires have experimented with other sexualities. Eric, Sookie’s lover, was turned into a vampire by a male vampire who had a sexual relationship with him for many years. Pam is bisexual. Lafayette is gay.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
Except he's not getting f***ed by somebody, he's being asked to kiss somebody. It's his right to not do it, but given how small of a request it is and the iffy reasoning for feeling weird about it, it's going to be difficult to sign him up to a series in the future. Maybe movies where he can know the ins and outs of his role and not jump ship as his character develops and he starts to feel weird

What's the difference? They're both "acting." And there are limits to what people are comfortable doing. And it's BS that this guy is going to get black balled in his career for some perceived anti-gay/homophobic stance based on him not wanting to play a gay character or not feeling comfortable kissing a dude. I think it's entirely reasonable to be pro-gay but also not want to play a gay character. That, to me, can be "normal." You can't divorce yourself from things you're uncomfortable with just by saying "ah well it's acting," especially when you're talking about a physical act (even if it's totally a-sexual).

I think criticism is deserved here if he knew what he was getting into but then decided to make some political stance. But reading through the lines it seemed to me that he knew he was going to play a bisexual character, but didn't know the character would ultimately be shacking up with another guy.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
What's the difference? They're both "acting." And there are limits to what people are comfortable doing. And it's BS that this guy is going to get black balled in his career for some perceived anti-gay/homophobic stance based on him not wanting to play a gay character or not feeling comfortable kissing a dude. I think it's entirely reasonable to be pro-gay but also not want to play a gay character. That, to me, can be "normal." You can't divorce yourself from things you're uncomfortable with just by saying "ah well it's acting," especially when you're talking about a physical act (even if it's totally a-sexual).

I think criticism is deserved here if he knew what he was getting into but then decided to make some political stance. But reading through the lines it seemed to me that he knew he was going to play a bisexual character, but didn't know the character would ultimately be shacking up with another guy.

Really? So basically it really is the "he didn't ask enough questions about the role he auditioned for" setup?

Read a bloody script before you take a job.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Really? So basically it really is the "he didn't ask enough questions about the role he auditioned for" setup?

Read a bloody script before you take a job.

He signed up before last season, when his character was with a woman. This season the character's "secret" of being a gay vampire came out. So its entirely possible he didn't know.

(Sadly my wife and I still watch this awful, awful show).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
He signed up before last season, when his character was with a woman. This season the character's "secret" of being a gay vampire came out. So its entirely possible he didn't know.

(Sadly my wife and I still watch this awful, awful show).

So yeah, I'd say that holding it against him in casting is entirely fair based on what you've told me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
So yeah, I'd say that holding it against him in casting is entirely fair based on what you've told me.

How exactly? He played a straight character one season and he came back to work the next and he was suddenly gay. Pretty big change, and most likely something that wasn't told to him when he auditioned for the role.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
How exactly? He played a straight character one season and he came back to work the next and he was suddenly gay. Pretty big change, and most likely something that wasn't told to him when he auditioned for the role.

You said he was playing a bisexual character.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
How does the US let this nonsense happen? Doesn't this de-legitimize the UN?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/07...Dome-with-Hamas

They de-legitimized themselves a long time ago. it is just time to end this. Really, what good does it do? Humanitarian aid? Every time they do something all you get are stories about skimming money, corruption, rape and sop on. All they are good for is giving Muslims a stage to criticize Israel.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Israel is indubitably committing war crimes. What an awful situation over there, all perpetuated by US policy.

War is not a crime. Civilian casualties does not = war crime. Defending yourselves from rockets is not a war crime. Having a rocket defense system is NOT a war crime (there was someone in the UN suggesting that because Israel wouldn't SHARE its Iron Dome with the Palis, that they were committing war crimes). Deliberately targetting civilians IS a war crime. And that is what Hamas does all the time.

Examples of war crimes:

- murdering, mistreating, or deporting civilian residents of an occupied territory to slave labor camps

- murdering or mistreating prisoners of war or civilian internees

- forcing protected persons to serve in the forces of a hostile power

- killing hostages

- killing or punishing spies or other persons convicted of war crimes without a fair trial

- wantonly destroying cities, towns, villages, or any object not warranted by military necessity

- The use of chemical or biological weapons (which are also covered under other treaties and such as well)

The botox must have finally made its way into her brain. Pelosi goes apes*** on the floor, and then lies about it afterwards. Between her and Shelia Jackson Lee saying 'We never tried to impeach Bush' when she was the co-sponsor of a bill to do just that, it wold be a close race for the dumbest idiot on that side of the aisle.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pelosi-chas...w.google.com%2F

*UPDATE: According to Pelosi spokeswoman Evangeline George, "Leader Pelosi just wanted to remind the Congressman that House Democrats had the courage to pass the DREAM Act - and have the courage to stand up for what the American people want: bipartisan, comprehensive immigration reform."

George added that "Pelosi accepted the Congressman's apology."

But Marino's chief of staff, Bill Tighe, stressed that Marino did not apologize to Pelosi, and will not apologize.

"[Rep. Marino] did not apologize to Leader Pelosi and does not intend to do so as he has nothing to apologize for. She was entirely out of line in approaching him while he was recognized and delivering remarks on the Floor," Tighe wrote in an email. "Her staff's comment in your story about her accepting his apology in simply not true."