The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/john...ndidates-215233

Ohio Gov. John Kasich's first real foray into attacking his Republican rivals centered on him ticking off a list of critiques he has with the 2016 Republican presidential field.

Kasich, at a rally a day before the next Republican presidential debate, lit into the field. He didn't name names but critiqued a set of policy positions championed by multiple 2016 GOP candidates.

"I've about had it with these people," Kasich said at the rally in Westerville, Ohio. "We got one candidate that says we ought to abolish Medicaid and Medicare. You ever heard of anything so crazy as that? Telling our people in this country who are seniors, who are about to be seniors that we're going to abolish Medicaid and Medicare?"

Neurosurgeon Ben Carson has acknowledged that he would like to gut Medicare.

Kasich went on, saying, "We got one person saying we ought to have a 10 percent flat tax that will drive up the deficit in this country by trillions of dollars" and there's another challenger in the field "says we ought to take 10 or 11 people and pick them up — I don't know where we're going to go, their homes, their apartments — we're going to pick them up and scream at them to get out of our country. That's crazy. That is just crazy."

Donald Trump has expressed support for deporting immigrants living in the country illegally.

"We got people proposing healthcare reform that's going to leave, I believe, millions of people without adequate health insurance," Kasich says. "What has happened to our party? What has happened the conservative movement?"

The comments by Kasich come ahead of the next Republican presidential debate in Boulder, Colorado on Wednesday night. The governor is hoping a good debate performance will reverse less than ideal fundraising numbers in the last quarter and lackluster polling, despite his campaign and a pro-Kasich super PAC investing heavily in New Hampshire.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
I lied Kasich is probably the only one that isn't a nutter. Maybe Jeb too.

Rubio. And my money is on him to win the nomination.

Christie is moderate (compared to that field) policy-wise, but he's got behavioral issues that make him come off as a little nuts at time.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
Like the stuff around Hillary? Oh wait, she is a Dem so that gets whitewashed.

Which do you mean here? What corruption? I think I've made clear I am not a Hillary fan, but I don't know of a ton of corruption stuff being around her. I might be forgetting something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Rubio. And my money is on him to win the nomination.

Christie is moderate (compared to that field) policy-wise, but he's got behavioral issues that make him come off as a little nuts at time.

Not that Christie has much of a chance at the nomination, but his position on marijuana (feds start enforcing federal law) would almost certainly swing Colorado to the Democrat nominee...

Which do you mean here? What corruption? I think I've made clear I am not a Hillary fan, but I don't know of a ton of corruption stuff being around her. I might be forgetting something.

Whitewater? More or less the same as the S&L stuff.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Not that Christie has much of a chance at the nomination, but his position on marijuana (feds start enforcing federal law) would almost certainly swing Colorado to the Democrat nominee...

I was just in Denver and the people I was talking to their absolutely deplore the law. Then again it was a conference for bankers and finance people so might have just been you had a > percentage of conservatives their given the nature of the profession. That said, the bulk of these people indicated they had originally voted for the law. I had been in downtown denver numerous times and their were a lot more vagrants and homeless this time (going purely off of my eye test).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
I was just in Denver and the people I was talking to their absolutely deplore the law. Then again it was a conference for bankers and finance people so might have just been you had a > percentage of conservatives their given the nature of the profession. That said, the bulk of these people indicated they had originally voted for the law. I had been in downtown denver numerous times and their were a lot more vagrants and homeless this time (going purely off of my eye test).

I live in Denver (and, as a disclaimer, spend my time at microbreweries, not dispensaries). Yeah, the 16th Street Mall in downtown has vagrants, but it's always had vagrants. And the commercial real estate market in Denver is absolutely being driven by the marijuana industry (per a recent report, 1 in 11 commercial buildings in Denver are used for marijuana).

The bankers have issues with it because banks have to deal with the conflict between federal and state law (lending where the collateral is being used in contravention of federal law - there are actually a lot of interesting legal cases dealing with the conflict between state and federal law).

It's a positive from a state revenue standpoint. It's a positive for jobs and the real estate market. Changing the law now would shutter lots businesses, leave tons of commercial properties empty, shut down a reliable source of state revenue - revenue that funds education keeping that burden away from property taxes - and would have a horrible economic impact on the state...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
I live in Denver (and, as a disclaimer, spend my time at microbreweries, not dispensaries). Yeah, the 16th Street Mall in downtown has vagrants, but it's always had vagrants. And the commercial real estate market in Denver is absolutely being driven by the marijuana industry (per a recent report, 1 in 11 commercial buildings in Denver are used for marijuana).

The bankers have issues with it because banks have to deal with the conflict between federal and state law (lending where the collateral is being used in contravention of federal law - there are actually a lot of interesting legal cases dealing with the conflict between state and federal law).

It's a positive from a state revenue standpoint. It's a positive for jobs and the real estate market. Changing the law now would shutter lots businesses, leave tons of commercial properties empty, shut down a reliable source of state revenue - revenue that funds education keeping that burden away from property taxes - and would have a horrible economic impact on the state...

and that will happen in more states.... as they start seeing the positiveness of this.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)

Yeah...I was aware of the banking issue and I would presume you'll have some state savings & loans pop up, but problem is you are out of luck having any form of FDIC protection, I believe. Not an expert but interesting and I presume someone is going to jump in and tackle the banking issue. The fact that 1 in 11 commercial buildings rae being used for marijuana is yet another reason I wouldn't vote. I wouldn't want 1 in 11 commercial buildings being used for booze or strip clubs either.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)

It is a known risk to build a business that is afoul of the federal law the day it opens.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Yeah...I was aware of the banking issue and I would presume you'll have some state savings & loans pop up, but problem is you are out of luck having any form of FDIC protection, I believe. Not an expert but interesting and I presume someone is going to jump in and tackle the banking issue. The fact that 1 in 11 commercial buildings rae being used for marijuana is yet another reason I wouldn't vote. I wouldn't want 1 in 11 commercial buildings being used for booze or strip clubs either.

The concentration is because its legal there and not many other places. If other states made it legal it wouldnt be as concentrated. Its the same reason there were bars/liquor stores near the Wisconsin border when WI was 18 to buy alcohol and IL was 21.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)

If you equate marijuana to booze and strip clubs, you need a reality check my friend. I'm sure a number of them are related to medical marijuana, too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)

Should have clarified that it's a lot of warehouses and grow facilities in addition to actual dispensaries.

And yeah, it's a risk to open a business that's afoul of federal law, but bringing this back to my original point, Colorado is a swing state with 9 electoral votes that could go either way (in my lifetime, only '92, '08 and '12 were democrat wins in CO). Christie and, to a lesser degree Rubio, would have a pretty hard time winning CO because of the impact federal enforcement of recreational marijuana would have on the state economy.

Edit to include the link... http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_289...estate-recovery

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
If you equate marijuana to booze and strip clubs, you need a reality check my friend. I'm sure a number of them are related to medical marijuana, too.

I'm saying I wouldn't want a bunch of them in my neighborhood. I'm not equating any of them, just saying I wouldn't want my neighborhood to have 100 bars, or a bunch of marijuana shops or a bunch of strip clubs. And I am not anti-booze, by the way. And yes, I would vote against legalizing the drug because the taxes just ensure the black market will continue to exist and to me that is the only worthwhile reason to legalize marijuana in my eyes.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
I'm saying I wouldn't want a bunch of them in my neighborhood. I'm not equating any of them, just saying I wouldn't want my neighborhood to have 100 bars, or a bunch of marijuana shops or a bunch of strip clubs. And I am not anti-booze, by the way. And yes, I would vote against legalizing the drug because the taxes just ensure the black market will continue to exist and to me that is the only worthwhile reason to legalize marijuana in my eyes.

I have to disagree with you on the black market thing. Being a recreational user living in Denver I only know of one person that grows that doesn't sell to a dispensary. Yes his prices are slightly lower than a dispensary, but to me it is worth it to go to the dispensary to have the choice of 20-30 different strains, edibles, oil for vape pen, not having to wonder if what you are buying weighs what you are being told, and knowing that I am supporting the state's economy. I don't mind paying the $5 extra when I know it is going to support public schools. From what I have seen the black market here is minuscule and most people that use marijuana go to the dispensary.

"I was just in Denver and the people I was talking to their absolutely deplore the law. Then again it was a conference for bankers and finance people so might have just been you had a > percentage of conservatives their given the nature of the profession. That said, the bulk of these people indicated they had originally voted for the law. I had been in downtown denver numerous times and their were a lot more vagrants and homeless this time (going purely off of my eye test). "

Regarding that quote, of course you are going to get a negative response about legal marijuana at a conference for bankers and finance...what would you expect? That shouldn't tell you anything about how actual residents feel about the law. It does surprise me that you are saying the bulk of these people originally voted for the law. Why would they do that and what did they expect that their feelings have changed so drastically?

I also disagree about there being more homeless and vagrants since it was legalized. I moved here in 2010 and was shocked at the number of homeless people everywhere. That is not a new thing with the change in law.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)

When you hear 1 in 11 commercial buildings I can understand how that sounds. It makes it sound like when you are walking around 1 out of every 11 buildings you see is either growing or selling marijuanna...since you spent time here recently you should know that's not how it seems or feels. The city, by no means, feels like it's being taken over by marijuana. In fact I've had family and friends come visit and they are shocked at how it's not what they thought it would be. They thought it would be in your face everywhere you go and most of them never even smelled or saw it once aside from the occasional dispensary that you pass while driving around.

Isn't Rubio tea party? Any person associated with those clowns are auto nutters.

Tea Party is too extreme to hold the presidency. They would probably have us following a Christian version of Sharia Law.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
When you hear 1 in 11 commercial buildings I can understand how that sounds. It makes it sound like when you are walking around 1 out of every 11 buildings you see is either growing or selling marijuanna...since you spent time here recently you should know that's not how it seems or feels. The city, by no means, feels like it's being taken over by marijuana. In fact I've had family and friends come visit and they are shocked at how it's not what they thought it would be. They thought it would be in your face everywhere you go and most of them never even smelled or saw it once aside from the occasional dispensary that you pass while driving around.

Oh I agree...I was just surprised in your stat and figured it was 1 shop in every 11 buildings which could be smaller. And I really didn't notice any of it and actually expected to see more of it. I did think their were more vagrants and homeless than previous years but again, that was not scientific by any means (and purely judging by my point).