DJ Carrasco Takes Jenks' Spot

quickman

He's got major league experience (3 seasons with the Royals; 4.81 ERA in 230.1 minor league innings but has walked 106 and posted an alarming 1.55 WHIP) which is what I believe the Sox were looking for. Thanks for that info Quick. I had been waiting for practically a day now to see who the heck they would be calling up. Somewhere Wasserman has to be disappointed but he really struggled both times he came up this season.

Carrasco has posted the following numbers in AAA Charlotte:

1-1, 2.38 ERA, 7 G (1 GS), 22.2 INN, 21 H, 23 K, 7 BB

Didn't pitch this season until June 8th.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
Interesting....now i am really wondering why Pablo got DFAed

It was only a matter of time. The team values Wise more than Pablo, so it either happens now (yesterday) or when Jenks comes off the DL in a couple weeks.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
It was only a matter of time. The team values Wise more than Pablo, so it either happens now (yesterday) or when Jenks comes off the DL in a couple weeks.

Well for Jose's sake should have been when Jenks comes back...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press...sp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- Prior to tonight's game at Kansas City, the Chicago White Sox placed right-handed closer Bobby Jenks on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 30) with left scapula bursitis and purchased the contract of right-handed pitcher D.J. Carrasco from Class AAA Charlotte.

Jenks, 27, is 2-0 with a 1.95 ERA (7 ER/32.1 IP) and 18 saves in 29 games this season. He ranks eighth among American League relievers in ERA and ninth in saves. Jenks last pitched on June 29 vs. the Cubs when he recorded his 18th save to finish the White Sox three-game sweep.

Carrasco, 31, has gone 1-1 with a 2.38 ERA (6 ER/22.2 IP), one save and 23 strikeouts in seven games (one start) with Charlotte this season. He has allowed 21 hits with seven walks and has not yielded a home run.

Carrasco has appeared in 101 games (22 starts) over parts of three Major-League seasons with Kansas City from 2003-05, going 14-15 with a 4.81 ERA (123 ER/230.1 IP), two saves and 128 strikeouts. He will wear uniform No. 53.

The White Sox 40-man roster is at 40.

Gees Quick, you were certainly right there.

Nothing more than a long man for a few days.

Is Wasserman to be the next Jeff Bajenaru now though? He needs another opportunity before the end of the season I think, or his status for the future with this organization maybe in doubt a little.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm not sure why we're obsessed with having 12 pitchers on the roster.

Personally I think the sox learned alot from 2005 especially about pitching and going through arms. In the second half we will begin to protect our pitchers much more, having twelve pitchers brings added flexibilty. I do also think Adam Russell will be used much more now. Its his chance to shine, if he does he will become very valuable down the stretch. In my opinion the sox will still look for a trade to get another arm.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Carrasco won't step on that mound unless we are getting killed or killing the opposition.

Agreed. I'd love to see us smoke KC tomorrow- for one, it'd be a nice easy win, and for 2, if Danksy can only go 6 or 7, hopefully Carrasco can go the remaining 2 or 3. :headbang

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
Agreed. I'd love to see us smoke KC tomorrow- for one, it'd be a nice easy win, and for 2, if Danksy can only go 6 or 7, hopefully Carrasco can go the remaining 2 or 3. :headbang

It's gonna be tough for Danksy to go any innings since Mark is pitching.