White Sox Winner!

TheBigHurt

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
I have one in a drawer back at my folks home. From back when I was about 60 pounds lighter. :crying

I did just buy this sweet vintage WU truckers hat on eBay though

1961_1.JPG

Hey, It's the 25th anniversary of one of the best summers of my life!

I think I have one as well but it was from when I was 9 years old. Might be a tad small for you.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
I have one in a drawer back at my folks home. From back when I was about 60 pounds lighter. :crying

1961_1.JPG

That team turned my interest in baseball into a love. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
Hawk said OC had nothing to apologize for because he got himself in position to score on a sac fly with one out.

Feisty said he understood why JD would be annoyed by OC jumping around out by second base.

Hawk said we needed the run and we got it.

advantage hawk

It's not even a debate. If we were down 2 or there were 2 outs, I could see why Dye would be mad, but with 1 out, an 0-1 count, and as the tying run, OC HAS to take 3rd there since it was so easy. I am baffled as to why Dye would not understand that, plus the pitch he swung at was clearly a ball.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
How did we win ugly? We came back from 5 runs down, hit a couple HR (Q), got a few clutch knocks (Lexi, Thome), and a break (the balk). The bullpen was lights out, too.

There's a big difference between an ugly win and Winning Ugly. Even though we didn't make the Promised Land, '83 was a special season. So forgive the old farts their nostalgia.

Hawk said OC had nothing to apologize for because he got himself in position to score on a sac fly with one out.

Feisty said he understood why JD would be annoyed by OC jumping around out by second base.

advantage hawk

Plus, they had been talking about JD being distracted on the SB during the top of the inning. After OC scored, it was obvious something other than celebrating was going on in the dugout and Hawk and DJ made no mention of OC being annoyed. Then, after a pitching change in the middle of the bottom half of the inning, they replay what was going on in the dugout and DJ speculates it had something to do with JD striking out and being distracted by the stolen base. Hawk was right about OC doing a good job to take the base, but he got b****y with DJ for no reason acting like he did not properly explain what happened. Hawk is a grumpy old bat.

Edited by Pants Rowland

advantage hawk

Because he wouldn't have scored from second on a single anyway? I understand trying to get to third with less than 2 outs but when you're distracting the man at the plate on a 2 strike count your actions becomes counter productive.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
That's not the first time Cabrera's done that either, he did the same thing to Quentin in Tampa.

[/b]Hitters don't like it when a runner steals 3rd with 2 strikes, a guy running around behind the pitch is distracting.[/b]

This is true, except it was an 0-1 count when OC stole 3rd.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Because he wouldn't have scored from second on a single anyway? I understand trying to get to third with less than 2 outs but when you're distracting the man at the plate on a 2 strike count your actions becomes counter productive.

It was 0-1, and the pitch was low anyways. Dye was wrong, OC was right. As much as people don't like OC because of his antics, Dye was just completely stupid in this case.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
There's a big difference between an ugly win and Winning Ugly. Even though we didn't make the Promised Land, '83 was a special season. So forgive the old farts their nostalgia.

Exactly. I believe it was the manager of the California Angels at the time (Doug Radar?) who mentioned the Sox were "winning ugly" for all the different ways they found to pull games out (they floundered until taking over first lace around the ASB and then went on a ridiculous tear to win the division by 20 games or so). It wasn't about ugly wins, it was how many ways they did it - HR, balks, stolen bases, defense, sac flies, suicide squeezes, pitching, you name it. It was a lot of fun to watch that team. Too bad Baltimore had their number all season and kept it up in the playoffs. Plus the Dibber forgot how to run the bases. :angry:

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)

1961_1.JPG

:headbang

nice cap

O.C. and Dye will kiss and make up, its all good. In fact did you see Ozzie congrat O.C. for his baserunning efforts? It was clearly JD pissed off because he was 'distracted'. Its all good, im glad we have pationate players on this team. This team shows a lot of heart, sumthing we missed ALL of last year. Lets get the sweep tommorow with Buerhles!!

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
Exactly. I believe it was the manager of the California Angels at the time (Doug Radar?) who mentioned the Sox were "winning ugly" for all the different ways they found to pull games out (they floundered until taking over first lace around the ASB and then went on a ridiculous tear to win the division by 20 games or so). It wasn't about ugly wins, it was how many ways they did it - HR, balks, stolen bases, defense, sac flies, suicide squeezes, pitching, you name it. It was a lot of fun to watch that team. Too bad Baltimore had their number all season and kept it up in the playoffs. Plus the Dibber forgot how to run the bases. :angry:

I was a little off...

The 1983 Chicago White Sox won their division, but Texas Ranger manager Doug Rader didn’t think they were all that good.

“They’re not playing that well. They’re winning ugly,” Rangers manager Doug Rader said, sometime in August 1983. The remark quickly became a slogan for the 1983 Chicago White Sox.

and...

The “Winnin’ Ugly” remark was uttered by Rader before the four game series in Texas. That series started on August 19. The Sox took 3 of 4 and left Dallas with an eight game lead over the Rangers.

and...

30 August 1983, Chicago Daily Herald, section 4, pg. 1, col. 1:

Less than two weeks ago, it was Rangers manager Doug Rader who started the whole tempest by saying the first-place White Sox were “winning ugly.” Before long, T-shirts were cropping up in Chicago with “Winning ugly is no miracle on 35th Street” emblazoned on them. The idea became a rallying point for local fans and a bit of a sore point in Texas.

It was a little bit like the comment Guillen made about the Twins being piranas, although he was complimenting them. 1983 is still one of my favorite seasons along with 2005 and the last year at old comiskey when they came up short versus the A's.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 04:26 AM)

I didn't watch the game, but wasn't it just one strike?

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)

I believe it was Radar, but he was the manager of the Rangers. I'm going off memory here, and lately when I've done that I've been wrong. So take it with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
It was 0-1, and the pitch was low anyways. Dye was wrong, OC was right. As much as people don't like OC because of his antics, Dye was just completely stupid in this case.

Low?...it was almost in the dirt. How many pitches did JD swing at that were almost in the dirt today and completely out of the zone?...and he wants to blame that AB on OC?...WEAK. Dye was completely out of line tonight.

BTW...Paulie was stellar tonight! Hope we see Wise in center tomorrow.

Dye needs to settle down. I'm not worried about this little tiff at all though. In fact, Ocab is starting to grow on me. He's 14/16 (I believe) in SB this year, and his defense has been f***ing impeccable since about 2 weeks into the season, he has made all the plays. I don't even care if he finishes 270/330/350, his defense at SS is saving runs.

Great win, and big props to Q for busting out big time and giving the team a chance to win it. If he doesn't hit those two home runs this is almost certainly a bad loss instead of a great win.

Javier on the other hand continues to suck. I've rarely seen a guy with such great stuff pitch so poorly for long stretches. He just seems to be a mental midget. I don't even believe in that s***, but for a MLB pitcher, he has no fortitude on the mound.

That was a fun game.

Two in a row in KC that have been real fun.

Can you imagine how the Royals feel blowing significant leads two nights in a row?

And losing on a balk?

OC and Alexei are quite the newcomer combo.

Congrats to you who wanted Dotel to close.

That's amazing stuff. 3 strikeouts? My god.

It'd be nice to win going away tomorrow, but Greinke is damn good.

So is Mark when he's Mark.

an o-fer with 4k's? Maybe Paulie should go back down to AAA for a bit longer until he gets his timing back

and as far as o-cab dancing around on the bases dye should be thanking him for making the pitcher have to think about something else. that's the whole idea behind having fast baserunners, they distract the pitcher so that they hopefully throw bad pitches, this actually makes it easier for the batter. I remember when Pod's would get on base the first half of '05 it gave pitchers fits and it resulted in a lot of fat pitches for the batters following him

Edited by bighurt4life