Joe Cowley is a joke

Nokona

My take? Who cares. Cabrera is a bad guy, selfish and cares about one person, but both he and the Sox need each other for a few months longer and then can spit on one another through the media. Next!

This guy rides vendettas incredibly hard. I can not believe we have to put up with his petty bulls*** over and over again. First it was Uribe, now he takes potshots at OC. Not to mention all the badmouting he did towards AJ. This is beat journalism? Well I'm glad I switched majors. What a f***ing joke this guy is.

Cowley is there everyday in the clubhouse, unlike some of his colleagues. I'm willing to bet his vendetta, if you can call it that, is merely an observation of Cabrera's personality. Have we seen or heard anything to suggest Cabrera ISN'T selfish or an asshole?

Just what did Cabrera do wrong? Leads off the inning with a walk. Swisher flies out. Cabrera's the tying run and steals second on the first pitch to Quentin who later walks. Then he steals third while Dye swings through the second pitch. Dye had taken a called strike on the first pitch, then K'd on the third pitch --with the tying run on 3B with 1 out, nobody was dancing at 2B as Quentin was still on 1B.

On the night Dye was 0-4 with 2 K's.

And JD yells at Cabrera? For what, trying to win the game?

QUOTE (TLAK @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
Just what did Cabrera do wrong? Leads off the inning with a walk. Swisher flies out. Cabrera's the tying run and steals second on the first pitch to Quentin who later walks. Then he steals third while Dye swings through the second pitch. Dye had taken a called strike on the first pitch, then K'd on the third pitch --with the tying run on 3B with 1 out, nobody was dancing at 2B as Quentin was still on 1B.

Its considered somewhat of a faux paus to steal a base like that on your own when the batter isnt aware. That wasnt a called steal, OCab noticed that the pitcher wasnt paying attention and neither were the infielders so he took off, and Dye was distracted by OCab in his line of sight. Then to complicate matters, Dye struck out on the next pitch which wasnt even hittable. Dye hasnt gotten a hit in the series, so of course he is frustrated, and he let OCab know about it.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 06:47 AM)

If I had to guess...

JD is probably a guy who hates movement on the basepaths while he is trying to hit. Listening to broadcasters talk for years, it sounds like those kind of things are well known within the clubhouse. Thinking back to Frank, our basestealers used to be very careful when they went because it distracted the big man. (which Hawk used to mention all of the time in running counts) With Cabrera already on second and posessing great speed, he probably felt there was no need for him to run, especially because with a right-hander on the mound, the pitch is coming out of the pitchers hand with Cabrera moving in the backround right behind the flight of the ball, which distracted Dye and gave away the best pitch to hit in his AB.

Edited by southsider2k5

I always thought that was BS. So you're telling me that JD would be a career .000 hitter if the short stop was dancing around out there causing some kind of distraction when the pitch was coming home? OCab was about half way to third when the pitch was being released so I'm not buying it. If JD's a professional hitter, that shouldn't bother him much, if at all.

Id probably be upset too, even if it isnt exactly justified. Yes it was good to steal but he was dancing on second and that can be very distracting. He already had a strike on him and either he was distracted and swung at a bad pitch or he thought he had to protect the runner so it gave up another strike. And when your down 0-2, while in a slump might i add, you feel like you have no chance which he didnt. I think quiet JD jus finally let the pressure get to him and he was slumping so he said something he wouldnt have with a level head, and cabrera never being one to be the bigger man decided to yell back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 05:58 AM)
especially because with a right-hander on the mound, the pitch is coming out of the pitchers hand with Cabrera moving in the backround right behind the flight of the ball, which distracted Dye and gave away the best pitch to hit in his AB.

With his normal lead Cabrera was already out of the line of sight of the pitch, and was halfway to 3rd before the ball was released.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)

Also we could be wrong and it could be an unrelated incident.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
With his normal lead Cabrera was already out of the line of sight of the pitch, and was halfway to 3rd before the ball was released.

It doesn't matter. You still see your guy running and want to protect him. But I like Ozzie's take. Don't stew about it, just say something, get it out of the way, yell, kick, scream, make-up...done.

What happened to the OC that was the "team leader" for the Angels? Is he pissed he was traded? Weird.

If you read Cowley's game summary today, he says how Cabrera dissappeared right after the game 'as usual'. So that stuff probably makes Joe mad. Who cares...we will keep winning. We want winners...and Cabrera is a winner. As Ozzie said: Nice guys finish last.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
It doesn't matter. You still see your guy running and want to protect him. But I like Ozzie's take. Don't stew about it, just say something, get it out of the way, yell, kick, scream, make-up...done.

What happened to the OC that was the "team leader" for the Angels? Is he pissed he was traded? Weird.

It's one thing to have disagreements and say something like JD did. OC could have said something back or let it go and be done with it. But what he did spreading his arms out like he wanted to throw down and s***....is what I think is BS. Unless he was really being like...lets hug it out b****es.

Honestly, I think JD was just frustrated and probably wouldn't have said something otherwise...and I'll bet he admits such to OC and this is over with as of today.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
This guy rides vendettas incredibly hard. I can not believe we have to put up with his petty bulls*** over and over again. First it was Uribe, now he takes potshots at OC. Not to mention all the badmouting he did towards AJ. This is beat journalism? Well I'm glad I switched majors. What a f***ing joke this guy is.

Chris Deluca was on ESPN First Take this morning and said how OC still hasn't really adjusted to the clubhouse. I was surprised because OC and Swisher seem to always be joking around and I haven't seen anyone verbally upset with OC (aside from yesterday's Dye incident).

Either way, Cabrera has played tremendously and has always been regarded as a great clubhouse guy anywhere else he's been.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Chris Deluca was on ESPN First Take this morning and said how OC still hasn't really adjusted to the clubhouse. I was surprised because OC and Swisher seem to always be joking around and I haven't seen anyone verbally upset with OC (aside from yesterday's Dye incident).

Either way, Cabrera has played tremendously and has always been regarded as a great clubhouse guy anywhere else he's been.

FYI, the Trib (Gonzales) said the exact same thing about OC leaving early and not talking to the press, as per his usual. Its not just Cowley saying it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 07:39 AM)
FYI, the Trib (Gonzales) said the exact same thing about OC leaving early and not talking to the press, as per his usual. Its not just Cowley saying it.

On top of that, I want to point out that I don't necessarily thing its a bad thing that OC left the game and didn't talk to the press. I don't know if I want him going and talking to the press and airing something in public. Let OC and Dye handle the situation behind closed doors. No need to comment about it in public.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
On top of that, I want to point out that I don't necessarily thing its a bad thing that OC left the game and didn't talk to the press. I don't know if I want him going and talking to the press and airing something in public. Let OC and Dye handle the situation behind closed doors. No need to comment about it in public.

That's how I feel. I don't care if someone talks to the press or not. Heck the most beloved White Sox ever was a guy who hated the press, and did them no favors.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 02:39 AM)
Cowley is there everyday in the clubhouse, unlike some of his colleagues. I'm willing to bet his vendetta, if you can call it that, is merely an observation of Cabrera's personality. Have we seen or heard anything to suggest Cabrera ISN'T selfish or an asshole?

Cowley is a hack and isnt very believable nor reputable. The guy was banned by his own organization from voting for postseason awards because he embarrassed them. This is a guy who embarrassed himself by calling Canada a third world country and refused to stand for their national anthem. He's an unprofessional jackass who is trying to make a name for himself by being Marriotti-lite.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Cowley is a hack and isnt very believable nor reputable. The guy was banned by his own organization from voting for postseason awards because he embarrassed them. This is a guy who embarrassed himself by calling Canada a third world country and refused to stand for their national anthem. He's an unprofessional jackass who is trying to make a name for himself by being Marriotti-lite.

whoa, when did all of this stuff happen?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
On the other hand, if he Cabrera is bolting right after the game, what does that say about him in the clubhouse? It's my understanding when the team is the road, often times a bunch of them go out to the bars together, or dinner. I don't see Cabrera making those trips.

It's not a huge deal at all. I couldn't care less, as this team is on a roll, and both Cabrera and Dye are having great seasons, but I don't think there is a chance in hell Cabrera comes back.

I think it meant he bolted and didn't answer any questions. Doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't meet up with the team or a couple individuals as I assume the team all gets on the bus around the same time while on the road (unless they all have cars, which maybe is the case).

And if they do take separate cars, they obviously could all meet at the hotel. I would assume that there are probably a few different cliques in the locker-room and everyone has there comfort zone. I don't buy in for one second that OC doesn't get along with anyone or anything along those lines (he just doesn't have a history of such).