Tom Seaver

Hoyt Wilhelm

Wilbur Wood

SU- Bobby Jenks

CP- Bobby Thigpen

Manager- Ozzie Guillen

Thoughts??

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)
I'm still laughing at Crede "making the team" over Ventura. I know Brian didn't get to see Robin, and I really only was able to see the tail end of his career with the Sox, but come on.

I forgot Robin.

He didn't blossom til he went to NY, though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
Where's Ed Walsh? Ted Lyons? Jack McDowell? Joel Horlen? Rudy Law? Julio Cruz? Sammy Sosa? Harold Baines? Ray Shalk?

Ed Walsh? He pitched for 4 seasons and had an above 5 ERA.

Lyons or McDowell? Not bad, either. Except, they had 3.67 and 3.85 ERAs respectively, while none of the 5 I mentioned had anything under 3.24.

Horlen? Maybe. With a 3.11 lifetime ERA, I couldn't have gone wrong with him.

Law? Maybe, too. Although, he only played for 7 years and his BA wasn't even abobe .275. I do admitt, his SB #'s are impressive.

Sosa? I admitt, I totally forgot him. Put him there instead of Dye.

Baines? Again, some how I forgot him. Stick him in the DH role in which I forgot as well.

Schalk? Come on now. His BA was a measley .252 for his career.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
I'm still laughing at Crede "making the team" over Ventura. I know Brian didn't get to see Robin, and I really only was able to see the tail end of his career with the Sox, but come on.

What do you mean, I didn't see Robin? I was born in 1982. I know he was good. I gave the slight edge to Joe.

I know Robin's OBP was so much better and his BA was a bit better, but Crede's 100+ points better in the playoffs and his FP which is about .010 higher gave him the edge. Don't forget Crede's countless clutch hits which I don't remember Robin getting as many or even too many to notice.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

I'd also put Horlen and Gary Peters in the rotation over Seaver and Wilhelm. Seaver wasn't a White Sox long enough. Wilhelm, I'd list in the bullpen. As a great as Dick Allen was for the Sox, his days as a 3B were behind him. Ventura would be my starter.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
with out a doubt....i love joe, but he is one of the most overrated players in sox history

No disrespect from me toward Joe. Just consider it a measure of my respect for Robin.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 01:27 AM)
I forgot Robin.

He didn't blossom til he went to NY, though.

You can't be serious, can you? If anything, he was at his best before he almost tore his foot off. Overall, however, he was so smooth at 3rd base and had a nice easy swing with good power for a guy that wasn't all that built. He has decent years with the Mets, but I would not call them any better than his time with the Sox.

Also, baseball acumen changes dramatically as you get older and get a feel for the ebb and flow (and monotonous grind) of the game. If you were under 10 for most of Ventura's White Sox career, I question how you can compare him to Crede.

I know I can not opine on Melton, Zisk, LeFlor or Allen, no matter if they played in my lifetime. I was just too young to appreciate the overall players they were.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
Ed Walsh? He pitched for 4 seasons and had an above 5 ERA.

Lyons or McDowell? Not bad, either. Except, they had 3.67 and 3.85 ERAs respectively, while none of the 5 I mentioned had anything under 3.24.

Horlen? Maybe. With a 3.11 lifetime ERA, I couldn't have gone wrong with him.

Law? Maybe, too. Although, he only played for 7 years and his BA wasn't even abobe .275. I do admitt, his SB #'s are impressive.

Sosa? I admitt, I totally forgot him. Put him there instead of Dye.

Baines? Again, some how I forgot him. Stick him in the DH role in which I forgot as well.

Schalk? Come on now. His BA was a measley .252 for his career.

McDowell knew how to win games. People sometime dismiss the importance of the statistic for wins and I tend to agree. However, there are some guys that have an uncanny ability to win no matter what the offense gives them and not worry about the rest. McDowell was that guy. He would win 1-0 and 8-7 just as easily and you knew he would not break in either setting. He also pitched 9 innings, possibly more often than Buerhle.

Sosa is not a White Sox star. He was a raw talent who did not "realize" his potential until well after he left the Sox. He also never learned how to hit the cutoff man.

While Baines is known to many as a DH, he was a true RF whose knees broke him down into a DH. Prior to that, however, he could play well with a good arm. If anything, he should be the RF, not Sammy or JD.

I always thought Dick Allen was a 1B with the Sox. Am I mistaken? To me he should be at 1st with Frank at DH, since that is really what he played most of his career. He really was never a good first baseman.

I did not see mention of Luke Appling at SS, either. I know Aparicio was a great player, but Appling's BA was excellent and I believe he is in the HOF.

I do not know a lot about Schalk, but I did see Fisk play. Maybe I did not appreciate him enough in my youth, but I always thought he was overrated. I might actually prefer AJ over Fisk, although Fisk might be better at throwing out runners.

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
All-Time Sox Roster?

Are you going by what these players did in their careers or what they did in a Sox Uniform?

Thats what I want to know...I herd a mention of Sosa??? Why would he be a part of the all White Sox team

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
Goose Gossage over Jenks, and i find it hard to believe jermaine dye would ever start on any teams all time roster.

unless of course Jermaine Dye was the World Series MVP for the team in which he was named to their "all-time roster"

I'd put Dye on there far ahead of Magglio.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
You can't be serious, can you? If anything, he was at his best before he almost tore his foot off. Overall, however, he was so smooth at 3rd base and had a nice easy swing with good power for a guy that wasn't all that built. He has decent years with the Mets, but I would not call them any better than his time with the Sox.

Also, baseball acumen changes dramatically as you get older and get a feel for the ebb and flow (and monotonous grind) of the game. If you were under 10 for most of Ventura's White Sox career, I question how you can compare him to Crede.

Thank you. Joe has won how many Gold Gloves? Crede is a great player, but I would not put him ahead of Robin as far as all-time 3B. I had the pleasure of seeing Ventura hit many a grand slam, clutch hits and make unbelievable plays at the hot corner and read stories of what a great teammate he was.