All-Time Sox roster

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Thank you. Joe has won how many Gold Gloves? Crede is a great player, but I would not put him ahead of Robin as far as all-time 3B. I had the pleasure of seeing Ventura hit many a grand slam, clutch hits and make unbelievable plays at the hot corner and read stories of what a great teammate he was.

I am here for you, Robin. I still remember his 2 slams in one game v. TX as well as a memorable walkoff HR that hit the concrete facade down the RF line right in front of me (before they moved the fences in). Great memories.

Ventura had a great quote back when the Sox still trained in Sarasota. A reporter asked him why Bo Jackson was getting so many standing ovations during spring training games. Robin deadpanned, "Because 85% of Sarasota's population has also had hip replacement surgery."

My two cents

White Sox

C- Carlton Fisk

1B- Frank Thomas

2B- Nellie Fox

SS- Luis Aparicio

3B- Robin Ventura

OF- Shoeless Joe Jackson

OF- Magglio Ordonez

OF- Jermaine Dye

BN- Luke Appling

BN- Minnie Minoso

BN- Harold Baines

BN- Eddie Collins

BN- Paul Konerko

BN- Ray Schalk

Starting Staff:

Ed Walsh

Billy Pierce

Jack McDowell

Wilbur Wood

Mark Buehrle

CP- Goose Gossage

SU- Bobby Jenks

SU- Keith Foulke

MR- Hoyt Wilhelm

MR- Roberto Hernandez

LR- Eddie Cicotte

Manager- Ozzie Guillen

Bench Coach- Tony LaRussa

Pitching Coach- Don Cooper

1B coach- Fielder Jones

3B coach- Al Lopez

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Sosa is not a White Sox star. He was a raw talent who did not "realize" his potential until well after he left the Sox. He also never learned how to hit the cutoff man.

And was chemically enhanced.

with out a doubt....i love joe, but he is one of the most overrated players in sox history

Robin is greater than Joe, but hey, why bag on Joe with "one of the most overrated plyers in sox history" line?

The NFL Hall of Fame goes by winning. If you don't win a ring in that league your career is tarnished greatly.

I take into consideration players that got us a f***ing World Series title.

Some people that bag on Joe act like WS titles are easy to get?

We may never see another WS ring for decades or a full lifetime. If that happens, someday Crede will be a legend around here.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 07:12 AM)
Where's Ed Walsh? Ted Lyons? Jack McDowell? Joel Horlen? Rudy Law? Julio Cruz? Sammy Sosa? Harold Baines? Ray Shalk?

Harold Baines, Gary Peters, Jack McDowell, et al for sure as well as most of your group except Law and Cruz. How about Bob Locker? Why is Wilhelm and starter? He wasn't for the Sox and then again where is Robin Ventura?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
No way sosa deserves to be on the roster over dye. only played two full seasons with the sox and never had more than 70 RBI.

I brought up Sosa because he brought up Tom Seaver and Dick Allen.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
McDowell knew how to win games. People sometime dismiss the importance of the statistic for wins and I tend to agree. However, there are some guys that have an uncanny ability to win no matter what the offense gives them and not worry about the rest. McDowell was that guy. He would win 1-0 and 8-7 just as easily and you knew he would not break in either setting. He also pitched 9 innings, possibly more often than Buerhle.

Sosa is not a White Sox star. He was a raw talent who did not "realize" his potential until well after he left the Sox. He also never learned how to hit the cutoff man.

While Baines is known to many as a DH, he was a true RF whose knees broke him down into a DH. Prior to that, however, he could play well with a good arm. If anything, he should be the RF, not Sammy or JD.

I always thought Dick Allen was a 1B with the Sox. Am I mistaken? To me he should be at 1st with Frank at DH, since that is really what he played most of his career. He really was never a good first baseman.

I did not see mention of Luke Appling at SS, either. I know Aparicio was a great player, but Appling's BA was excellent and I believe he is in the HOF.

I do not know a lot about Schalk, but I did see Fisk play. Maybe I did not appreciate him enough in my youth, but I always thought he was overrated. I might actually prefer AJ over Fisk, although Fisk might be better at throwing out runners.

See Bench players.

C- Chris Widger

1B- Leo Daigle

2B- Jose Valentin

3B- Greg Norton

SS- Mike Caruso

LF- Darin Erstad

CF- Joe Borchard

RF- Tom Collaro

DH- Brian Daughbach

Util- Andy Gonzalez

SP- David Wells, Todd Richie, Danny Wright, Jon Rausch, Rocky Biddle