7/11 Games

NorthSideSox72

Charlotte jumps to an early 1st inning 3-1 lead against Richmond. Getz w/ a 2 run HR, scoring Bourgeois. Haeger pitching.

Carolina @ B-Ham, just about to start. Poreda starting.

W-S with an early 3-0 lead on Frederick, thanks to Shelby's 3-run HR. Long started.

Kanny beating Rome, 2-1 in the 3rd. Socolovich pitching.

Bristol @ Greeneville, scoreless in the 3rd. Martinez (1-0 with a 1.47 ERA in 4 starts so far) pitching for Bristol.

Great Falls @ Orem, 8:05 CT, no starter announced yet.

Another solid outing for Charlie Haeger...7 IP, 5 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's. Runs his record to 8-7, and ERA drops again to 4.02. After some rough outings early in the season, he has been the most consistent starter in Charlotte. Last 12 starts his numbeers are;W-L 5-3, ERA 2.62, IP 65.1, Hits 52, ER 19, BB 25, K's 46

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Charlotte jumps to an early 1st inning 3-1 lead against Richmond. Getz w/ a 2 run HR, scoring Bourgeois. Haeger pitching.

Carolina @ B-Ham, just about to start. Poreda starting.

W-S with an early 3-0 lead on Frederick, thanks to Shelby's 3-run HR. Long started.

Kanny beating Rome, 2-1 in the 3rd. Socolovich pitching.

Bristol @ Greeneville, scoreless in the 3rd. Martinez (1-0 with a 1.47 ERA in 4 starts so far) pitching for Bristol.

Great Falls @ Orem, 8:05 CT, no starter announced yet.

Oney Guillen with an RBI and a walk tonight. Based on the way he's been treated, that's grounds for promotion to Winston-Salem. As well as Wise has done in limited time with the Sox, I like Bourgeois's potential much better long term as a reserve utilityman type. He's done nothing but hit since we picked him up before last season, although I admit I don't know a lot about his defense. He might just be a jack of all trades, master of none in that regard. He also can run, although he's an abysmal 15 for 25 in steals this year after being a solid 38 for 47 last year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
martinez doesn't look like much of a prosect to me.

He's old -- 22 -- for rookie ball. only 11 Ks in 18 innings doesn't show much juice.

Most of the players the Sox drafted are around 21. Some 22, some 20. And they are playing in Bristol and GF. Therefore, 22 is not "old" for rookie ball. Guys who are 24 playing rookie ball are "old".

22 year olds playng in short season rookie ball are among the oldest players in the league.

For a pitcher who is 22 to have 11 strikeouts in 18 innings doesn't give me much reason to get excited.

it's the strikeouts per innings pitched total that make me shrug about the guy you mentioned.

24 year olds are old for High A ball. If you're really a good prospect by the time you're 24 you'd better be in AA or higher.

for the record, there are 18 pitchers on the Bristol roster.

10 are younger than Martinez, 7 are older. You can draw your own conclusions.

Edited by winninguglyin83

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
22 year olds playng in short season rookie ball are the oldest players in the league.

For a pitcher who is 22 to have 11 strikeouts in 18 innings doesn't get me much reason to get excited.

it's the strikeouts per innings pitched total that make me shrug about the guy you mentioned.

24 year olds are old for High A ball.

The strikeouts I agree on - not real overwhelming.

On that note, interestingly, he had 6 K's in 4.1 IP last night, so he now has 17 in 22.2, which is starting to get closer to 1 K/9. But in doing so, he also gave up 3 ER in those 4.1 IP, so his ERA went up.