Futures Game Thread

fathom

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
Then where will Dye be?

Left Field next year. In two years he'll be the DH (if Konerko is moved this off-season, which I suspect happens, and than Thome retires or goes elsewhere after the 09 season).

Q in right field would be an unmitigated disaster, he's pretty mediocre to bad in left field. Add in Dye and his diminishing by the day range, even in left field, and our stud center fielder better be an AMAZING fielder. Dye has done his best and made some good plays on defense this year, but he looks more and more like a DH everyday.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:15 AM)
Q in right field would be an unmitigated disaster, he's pretty mediocre to bad in left field. Add in Dye and his diminishing by the day range, even in left field, and our stud center fielder better be an AMAZING fielder. Dye has done his best and made some good plays on defense this year, but he looks more and more like a DH everyday.

I don't really agree with this. This year has been the only year Quentin has looked anything like below average defensively in his career. Every report you read on him says he's at least average as a corner outfielder with the potential to be very good. I'm just looking at his rate2 from the past two years in Arizona and he's at 104 which would suggest he's been slightly above average in right. So to say he'd be an "unmitigated disaster" is just ever so slightly over the top, but then again I have come to expect that from the majority of posters on this forum.

As for Dye, his range may be down from the last two years but it's just about in line with the rest of his career (going off his range factor here) and his rate2 (my favourite of defensive statistics) is at 113, which is fantastic and is better than supposed stud right fielders such as Alexis Rios, Nick Markakis and Ichiro (when he played there).

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
I don't really agree with this. This year has been the only year Quentin has looked anything like below average defensively in his career. Every report you read on him says he's at least average as a corner outfielder with the potential to be very good. I'm just looking at his rate2 from the past two years in Arizona and he's at 104 which would suggest he's been slightly above average in right. So to say he'd be an "unmitigated disaster" is just ever so slightly over the top, but then again I have come to expect that from the majority of posters on this forum.

As for Dye, his range may be down from the last two years but it's just about in line with the rest of his career (going off his range factor here) and his rate2 (my favourite of defensive statistics) is at 113, which is fantastic and is better than supposed stud right fielders such as Alexis Rios, Nick Markakis and Ichiro (when he played there).

Well Dye has been great, realistically, outside of his range, so i'm not surprised by that. I am surprised (and relived) to hear of Quentin's defensive reputation from his Arizona days, and maybe he is just having a bad year. He certainly has a good arm by what I've seen, but he just seems very poor at getting to the ball and the angles he takes while it's in the air. And if that's the case in LF, it'd only be worse in RF.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Keep in mind this is the first time Carlos Quentin has played LF in his baseball career, before this season he's been a RF at every level including college. He's probably just adjusting to a new position, LF is a totally different angle than RF, it takes time to adjust.

When we got Carlos from Arizona he carried the reputation for being a very good (possibly elite) defensive RF. It's just a shame he had to move out of his comfort zone to the other side of the field.

I saw exactly what I thought I'd see from Richard. He's a back of the rotation guy.

I was dissapointed in how they chose the U.S. team this year, as far as the whole olympic team thing. I would have much rather saw a guy like Poreda than Richard. Plus guys from other teams like Matt Wieters.

And I know he pisses people off, but somebody should hire Davey Johnson.

I've always heard that Quentin was an above-average fielder, according to some coming into this season he was good enough to contend for our starting CF position so i'm not too worried about him. also, he's such a hard worker and a professional that if he's having any problems in the of he'll definitely put in the work to get better in the offseason