Joke of the Day: Carlos Marmol an NL All-Star

WSoxMatt

Congrats to Carlos Marmol and his 4.13 ERA...he replaces Kerry Wood in the All-Star Game...I guess they ran out of pitchers and chose Marmol's name out of a hat...

Marmol since 5/31...

1-2 9.35 ERA 17.1 IP 18 ER 15 H 13 BB 4 HBP

Yes siree, those numbers scream ALL STAR in the NL!!!

Crede was a players choice though, not an after selection after someone got hurt by a big bad blister!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/ne...tory?id=3484802

Marmol (2-3, 4.13 ERA, 3 saves) was picked because he was the relief pitcher with the highest vote on the player ballot. He is the only pitcher in the game who isn't a starter or a closer. He became the eighth Cubs player on the NL All-Star team

You going to change your tune now?

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
NO, Crede was the players chooice, Marmol was NOT...Marmol was taken by the manager even when the manager knows he has gotten his ass rocked lately...

Marmol was almost voted in in the FIRST PLACE. That's a scary ass thought. But Hurdle had nothing to do with this.

If I was a Cubs fan I would be very worried about Marmol, you need a solid BP in the playoffs (unless you're the Sox in the '05 ALCS) and Marmol was a major part of their very early success. Harden is a good pitcher, but I don't believe he is known for going deep into games

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
This isn't the first or last all-star game to have players on it that don't deserve it. They need a new system of voting and selection.

As someone pointed out on this board last year, it's called the "ALL STAR" game. Nowhere in that title does it imply that the best or most deserving players will be chosen. Whatever criteria is being used by the fans in the voting to determine what ALL STAR means is valid.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
As someone pointed out on this board last year, it's called the "ALL STAR" game. Nowhere in that title does it imply that the best or most deserving players will be chosen. Whatever criteria is being used by the fans in the voting to determine what ALL STAR means is valid.

Which brings us right back to what a f***ing crock it is that the winner gets homefield advantage. If there's no set criteria for choosing the players (ie: any f***ing loser can participate) then it should have absolutely no effect on the regular or post season what so ever.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Which brings us right back to what a f***ing crock it is that the winner gets homefield advantage. If there's no set criteria for choosing the players (ie: any f***ing loser can participate) then it should have absolutely no effect on the regular or post season what so ever.

I agree. How do you propose home field advantage for the WS should be determined??

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Better record in interleague play? Although that'd suck if you have a wide disparity in the strength of divisions.

Honestly that seems to be the best way to do it besides better record between the teams

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
The team with the better record of the 2 gets home field advantage?

Which would likely give an unfair advantage to the weaker league, in this era that of course being the NL. Makes no sense. I think League inter-league record would be next in line. If they refined the All Star selection system, I would love to keep it how it is, even if it's not the best system.

1.) Rotate it. In 2008 the AL team gets home field, 2009 goes to the NL team, 2010 goes back to the AL and so on and so on.

2.) If that won't work for whatever reason then the league with the better record in interleague play should be awarded homefield advantage in the World Series.

That's it, those are the only 2 acceptable options IMO.

You can't place great value on a game who's participants are selected via voting by f***ing dolts.