Josh Hamilton Presents the 2008 Home Run Derby

Gregory Pratt

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know who ESPN has set up as commentators? I assume its Chris Berman, but I hope its not so I can actually watch with the sound on. Him just screaming "back, back, back" and naming nearby towns and neighborhoods that the ball got hit too is so damn annoying. When the game was at Comiskey, just kept yelling, and that ball is hit to Joliet, to Aurora, to Wrigley, to the United Center. No, dumb ass, home plate faces east, so the ball couldnt go to any of the places, you idiot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
Anybody know who ESPN has set up as commentators? I assume its Chris Berman, but I hope its not so I can actually watch with the sound on. Him just screaming "back, back, back" and naming nearby towns and neighborhoods that the ball got hit too is so damn annoying. When the game was at Comiskey, just kept yelling, and that ball is hit to Joliet, to Aurora, to Wrigley, to the United Center. No, dumb ass, home plate faces east, so the ball couldnt go to any of the places, you idiot.

I haven't seen the roster, but I'm sure it's Berman. It was classic that he didn't do the Masters on ESPN and then wore a green jacket on BBTN that Sunday night. The Masters has a history of dictating the announcers (i.e. McCord can't do the CBS broadcast and Fehrety is toned down). I hope the Masters told Berman to stick it and didn't want to be associated with him.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
I haven't seen the roster, but I'm sure it's Berman. It was classic that he didn't do the Masters on ESPN and then wore a green jacket on BBTN that Sunday night. The Masters has a history of dictating the announcers (i.e. McCord can't do the CBS broadcast and Fehrety is toned down). I hope the Masters told Berman to stick it and didn't want to be associated with him.

thats exactly what happened....they didnt want the masters to have berman's goofball announcing with it...i cant stand chris berman either

the derby is just a horribly overrated event these days, juiced balls and bats, terrible announcing and its like 5 hours long with horrendous interviews with players not even participating...i havent watched in a few years and i certainly wont this year

I like Hamilton as well, but wouldn't be surprised if Utley took it. The lefties are going to have a field day with that porch in RF.

Also, it looks like they're trying to speed up the event this year. Not sure how exactly, but heard that this morning. We'll see if there's a noticeable difference this year.

This is kind of the reason I like this year's makeup of the field. No clear cut winner. I think it makes for the event to be all the more interesting and suspensful. Plus, there aren't real big dudes in this event, most of them are either short or just athletic. Morneau is a tall guy, but I wouldn't consider him "big."

EDIT: I would actually consider Hamilton big, but he is also athletic too. I guess my point is no stiffs like McGwire, Howard, Sosa...

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
You guys should check out the post in my baseball history thread.

It's a pretty cool video of Mantle and Mays.

I remember ESPN used to play these in syndication after the morning repeated Sportscenter's... of course this was well before Classic. Awesome shows... thanks for posting. There is no way in hell this would ever fly in today's game.