Josh Hamilton Presents the 2008 Home Run Derby

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
I agree it was impressive, but I hope ESPN doesn't over sensationalize this as the GREATEST THING EVER IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL!

Haha...they already said this is one of the things that people will remember about Yankee Stadium after it's torn down. Bulls***. People forget about the HR Derby around oh...Friday when actual baseball games start up again.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
I love watching him play, but I don't think it's a feel good story when he was a hardcore druggy. That's something he brought upon himself. Sorry.

I agree he brought it to himself, but I also think its very inspiring to see someone able to pick themselves up and make something out of there life after they went crashing down. Obviously its more inspiring when people redeem themselves from something that was out of there control, but you still have to tip your cap to Hamilton for fighting the addiction and making it back and inspiring many others who found themselves in a similar spot in life (this includes another former top pick, Jeff Allison).

I won't put him as high as I rank Lance Armstrong in terms of inspiration, feel good stories (and regardless of whether Lance juiced or not, still amazing to see someone battle back from cancer and dominate the sport of cycling like he did).

QUOTE (The Bones @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Haha...they already said this is one of the things that people will remember about Yankee Stadium after it's torn down. Bulls***. People forget about the HR Derby around oh...Friday when actual baseball games start up again.

They keep on mentioning Yankee stadium on every occasion possible, its quite sickening.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)

To be honest, I completely forgot Abreu's 24 HR round when they brought it up again.

As much as I hate the Yankees and the propoganda ESPN spews out from time to time, you have to tip your cap to the legend that is Yankee stadium. More historic events have occurred within that stadium than practically every other stadium in the history of baseball. Your talking about a ridiculous amount of World Series decided there, plus legend after legend that has played there. Its also an amazing stadium, just cause of the ora that exists when its there.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the old-timers at tomorrow's game and again, I will say that was the most impressive derby performance ever and I do think some will remember that about Yankee stadium, but it won't be in the top 100 things that has happened there over that stadiums legendary history.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
To be honest, I completely forgot Abreu's 24 HR round when they brought it up again.

But don't you remember the derby where Sosa went off or say McGwire (98 was an amazing season). I'd honestly say that was the single greatest season of baseball in my memor (obviously 05 was special cause of the Sox winning it all, but in terms of pure baseball, 98 was as special as it got). I remember exactly where I was when the record was broken and the fact that I was with my dad and grandpa (my grandpa, who was a Cards fan his whole life and a HUGE Big Mac fan and has since passed away) makes it even more special to me.

In fact, I think more than anythin else, what makes me love baseball is that its one of the things that has been the glue of my relationship with my old man. I remember going to game after game with him and taking road trip after road trip with him as a kid to see new stadiums and various things (going to Cooperstown was one of the most amazing things I'll ever remember). Man I love baseball (from all the joys of playing it, to all the great memories I've had watching it).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
But don't you remember the derby where Sosa went off or say McGwire (98 was an amazing season). I'd honestly say that was the single greatest season of baseball in my memor (obviously 05 was special cause of the Sox winning it all, but in terms of pure baseball, 98 was as special as it got). I remember exactly where I was when the record was broken and the fact that I was with my dad and grandpa (my grandpa, who was a Cards fan his whole life and a HUGE Big Mac fan and has since passed away) makes it even more special to me.

In fact, I think more than anythin else, what makes me love baseball is that its one of the things that has been the glue of my relationship with my old man. I remember going to game after game with him and taking road trip after road trip with him as a kid to see new stadiums and various things (going to Cooperstown was one of the most amazing things I'll ever remember). Man I love baseball (from all the joys of playing it, to all the great memories I've had watching it).

The most memorable HR derby performances in recent memory for me was Big Mac in Boston, Sosa in Atlanta/Milwaukee, and the entire HR Derby at the Cell. I think Hamilton's will be one I don't forget though.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
The most memorable HR derby performances in recent memory for me was Big Mac in Boston, Sosa in Atlanta/Milwaukee, and the entire HR Derby at the Cell. I think Hamilton's will be one I don't forget though.

Completely agree with you. I remember Mark hitting those bombs over the coke bottle. This will easily go down in the same breath as those derby's.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
I love watching him play, but I don't think it's a feel good story when he was a hardcore druggy. That's something he brought upon himself. Sorry.

And he also brought it upon himself to figure it out, quit, and make a comeback. And that he did. He's taken full responsibility by hiring Sam Narron to be his guide and to not use alcohol thus bringing his wife back.

I completely agree with you, Wilmot. It'll be good to finally see somebody other than Brett Favre get the top headline tomorrow on First Take, Outside the Lines, Rome, ATH, and PTI. I am so sick of that BS and like you said, I was honestly getting tears and chills watching this. What an incredible show.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
I'm gonna agree on the Reilly comments. Especially that over the top line at the end.

He also made a comment like "Who needs steroids?" What an a**. Did they ever show what was in the briefcase Volquez gave Hamilton?

BTW- If this one would have been at The Cell, one of those HRs by Hamilton might have went out of the stadium.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
I'm not going to lie, Wrigley could be a pretty cool place for an all star game (the HR derby could be cool, ie, would we see a rooftop shot).

There would only be 2 reasons to watch a HR Derby at Wrigley. Seeing a possibly roof shot across the street, and seeing someone hit the CF scoreboard, or possibly over it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
There would only be 2 reasons to watch a HR Derby at Wrigley. Seeing a possibly roof shot across the street, and seeing someone hit the CF scoreboard, or possibly over it.

That one 518 foot shot Hamilton hit today might have went over a rooftop.

The Cubs dealing Hamilton is not something to mock, really: they did it out of a sense of decency, if I recall correctly, because the Reds wanted him and they had Narron who had coached him when he was young and even works with the Rangers now to take care of him, and they agreed to send him to Cinci so that Josh could have a better chance at making the big leagues and staying sober. It was no more and no less than that.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
The Cubs dealing Hamilton is not something to mock, really: they did it out of a sense of decency, if I recall correctly, because the Reds wanted him and they had Narron who had coached him when he was young and even works with the Rangers now to take care of him, and they agreed to send him to Cinci so that Josh could have a better chance at making the big leagues and staying sober. It was no more and no less than that.

Yes it is.

They traded Hamilton to the Reds, HAHAHAHAHA. f***ing idiots.

I also want everyone to know I'll forget about this home run derby by 2:00 in the afternoon tomorrow, and Josh Hamilton by tomorrow night.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)

What you said is true, but that doesn't make his recovery less remarkable. What he is choosing to do now is live an exemplary life and be a good example. I'm sure every day is a struggle for him.

There's an odd thing when it comes to drugs and alcohol, and that's that you never really know how your body will react to them until you try them. I don't think most people set out to be addicts. Some people drink and get drunk often, but they aren't "addicted." They just like to party. Other people might drink the exact same amount, but they get hooked. They need to drink. They can't stop. Why?

It's the same with drugs. Some people try pot or coke or whatever else, and they don't get hooked. Josh Hamilton did get hooked, and he almost threw his career and family and God knows what else away. He's straightened out his life, and I, for one, hope is able to stay clean and sober.

Did anyone else come to appreciate Justin Morneau in all of this?

I generally have hated the guy since he's a Twin, but he handled his win with class.

I actually feel a bit bad for him b/c the ESPN guys were almost ridiculing him for winning.

I agree that Hamilton was the show/story of the night, but it's not Morneau's fault that the rules

consist of a separate and distinct final round score.

I have to hand it to the guy, he was very gracious.

Congrats to Morneau.

That said, :gosox3:

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
Rick Reilly's comment about everyone being white in this might have been one of the most awkward comments ever.

He managed to top that with his "this is a bad night to be an atheist" comment imo. What the hell are they paying this guy so much money for? He is awful.

Hamilton's performance was awesome. I was thinking about his situation when they were glorifying him and calling him a role model, though -- as a society, we seem to celebrate people who fall and pick themselves back up and reach great heights more than people who just perform from the get-go without the whole redemption storyline. Seems sort of odd to me.

Edited by StrangeSox

i know hamilton is a great story....but the record for HR hit in a round has been broken like every other year recently...tejada, abreu, now hamilton....the balls are juiced, and its obvious.....i know hamilton is strong, but he popped a few pitches up that landed like 15 rows deep...not to mention, abreu did roughly the same thing in comerica, which is far more difficult to hit it out than a lefty a yankee stadium

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 07:28 AM)
He managed to top that with his "this is a bad night to be an atheist" comment imo. What the hell are they paying this guy so much money for? He is awful.

Hamilton's performance was awesome. I was thinking about his situation when they were glorifying him and calling him a role model, though -- as a society, we seem to celebrate people who fall and pick themselves back up and reach great heights more than people who just perform from the get-go without the whole redemption storyline. Seems sort of odd to me.

I was just glad to see Hamilton's Lord and Savior allowed him to hit all those 500 foot homeruns. Praise the Lord!

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
i know hamilton is a great story....but the record for HR hit in a round has been broken like every other year recently...tejada, abreu, now hamilton....the balls are juiced, and its obvious.....i know hamilton is strong, but he popped a few pitches up that landed like 15 rows deep...not to mention, abreu did roughly the same thing in comerica, which is far more difficult to hit it out than a lefty a yankee stadium

I don't think the balls are the only things juiced. As someone stated elsewhere, Morneau was a class-act last night. My brother's friend bet a fortune on Hamilton...that's a tough betting loss.