Favorite Moments of First Half

fathom

In honor DAllen's great post about how most of the threads make it seem like the Sox are on pace to lose 100 games, I thought we could have a thread discussing the best moments of the season so far. Here are my top 5:

5. Joe Crede's home opener grand slam

4. Gavin's no hitter into the 9th vs the Twins.

3. CQ's walkoff on Sunday Night Baseball

2. Jenks retiring Edmonds with the tying runner on 3rd base

1. OC's walkoff single against the Indians.

1. CQ's walkoff win against Angels (I was there so that helps)

2. Anderson's HR against the Cubs in the Sunday night game, gave me confidence we were gonna sweep

3. Alexei HR against the Tribe that barely sqeeks over

4. Crede Grand Slam against the Twins in early April, made us 5-2 and finally thought this might be a good year (plus I think Danman and I were watching it when it happened in a small editing class, which made it all the better)

5. PK's homer against Minnesota in the 7th inning to take the 7-5 lead in the Monday makeup game. I thought to myself "holy hell, we have a 5.5 game lead")

PS great idea for a thread, I feel better already and I just realized all my moments are HRs.

Edited by maggsmaggs

1. Gavin almost pitching a no hitter vs. the Twins... I thought he was going to get it. (Great game to be at)

2 BA walk-off. I was there as well, and I honestly felt proud because when everyone wanted BA gone, I always wanted him to get another chance, and for him to come up with the big hit was awesome!

3. CQ walk-off vs. the Angels

4. Every 5th day, John Danks, nuff said

5. Final out to sweep the Cubs.

This really isn't a "moment", but after all the b****ing everyone here has done, myself included, here we sit on July 14th, at the all-star break, in first place!!! I'll take it!

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Not sure which game(s) in detroit at the start of the year but CQ hit a bomb and pegged someone out who was lazy getting back to 1st after a pop out. The man crush had already begun but it was a major moment of reassurance.

CQ guns down Renteria, not to mention the hearts of South Siders.

I'll add the double play ball by Grudz to OC to put a shocking end to that wild 13 inning game in KC.

I add it cause I was there standing up like the other 8,000 fans still there and amazed we were gonna win the game as the ball rolled right to OC.

It's not as good as yours, but it made me happy.

The sweep at The Cell vs. the Cubs was really great.

I thought the team showed a lot of balls being able to win all 3 after losing all 3 in Wrigley.

I felt the Cubs would win on Sunday and we'd be 2-4 against 'em.

I thought it was a great series even though Flub fans claim we beat their s***tier pitchers.

There are games that come up, such as the 4 game crushing of the Twins, the 3-game home sweep of the Cubs. Especially, game 1 when Swish hit the bomb.

But did we all think when the season started that Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Ramirez would be huge parts to the team? It was great to see them perform like that.

And how about that lockdown bullpen?

All those factors are huge reasons why we sit here at the All-Star Break, in 1st place.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
My favorite was the Alexei/DWise/OC 2-out rally in the 10th against JoBo & the Indians...

That was my favorite too...but at the game I attended, it happened in the 9th. Great night.

5. The 13-2 win on Sunday Night Baseball and National TV at Detroit that completed a sweep and a 4-2 trip to Cleveland and Detroit to start the season.

4. Brian Anderson's work to secure a series win at Seattle. He made what may have been the best defensive play by a White Sox all year on Richie Sexson as he crashed into the wall on Friday, and then blasted a 415 foot three run homer to center field as part of a six run inning the next night that blew the game open.

3. Watching our surprise players perform. Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, and basically the entire bullpen have been amazing, and although some people thought some of them would be good, nobody thought all of these people would be great, which has pretty much been the case all year.

2. A tie between a pair of walk off home runs: Q's against Anaheim and Paulie's in the 15th inning against Kansas City. Yeah I am biased because I was at the games, but it still was great.

1. The entire home schedule thus far. This team is a machine at U.S. Cellular Field, and to watch them play at home is amazing. They blow people out, they come from behind, they win close games, it's outstanding.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Oh, how bout my trip back home to Chicago, and the game I went to on the 3rd where right before the game started I was talking all kinds of s*** about how Wise blows and I was pissed Ozzie had him lead off to start the game, then he hits a home run in the first at-bat about 5 seconds after I stopped talking. :lolhitting: