Sox Interested in Duchscherer

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Because the Sox upper management isn't near as high on Fields as many think.

He's not the typical high OBP player that Beane targets, plus, I'd have to think that he's one guy KW really wants to keep with Crede leaving.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harvin4Heisman @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
This is almost impossible. Do you guys remember what it took to get Swisher? MacDougal? It would take more than that COMBINED to get a Cy Young candidate mid-season!!!!!!! I'm not saying it can't happen, but sometimes we overrate our prospects, and when you have the worst farm system in all of baseball, you just can't trade everything you have left. It's like suicide for the next 5 years. JD is only under contract for a couple of years, PK is falling off the face of the earth, Crede/Thome/OC will be gone next year. And Javy and Contreras will be gone in two years. You have to think about the future also, not just the present. If we through all of our prospects into this deal, we will be lauding KW now but ripping him in the future. All I'm saying is we simply don't have the bullets to win now and not throw away our future.

:gosox3:

i agree that we often over value our prospects, but to say we will not re-sign any of those guys might be a bit much. thome will probably be here next year, assuming he turns it around, javy i think will be re-signed as well. if fields is traded you never know what the sox might do to keep crede.

Per Mark Gonzalez

Freddy was tentatively scheduled to pitch in front of scouts toward the end of the month. Given Jose Contreras' struggles, the Sox could be looking outside the organization for help. Bay Area media outlets reported that the Sox had a representative watch Oakland's Justin Duchscherer on Sunday, but I'd be surprised if the A's move him because he's effective and relatively cheap.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
i agree that we often over value our prospects, but to say we will not re-sign any of those guys might be a bit much. thome will probably be here next year, assuming he turns it around, javy i think will be re-signed as well. if fields is traded you never know what the sox might do to keep crede.

I'll tell you what the Sox might do to try and "keep" Crede. They'll open the door, VannaWhite-motion towards said door, and say "Thanks for the 6 years, please GTFO n00b."

QUOTE (maki @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
what do we think the blanton news does for dusch?

Honestly...I don't think it does anything. If Beane gets a fair, high-value offer for him, similar to what he got back for Haren, he'll move him. If he doesn't, he'll hold.

After seeing what the Phils gave up for Blanton. I am convinced the Sox will not be able to get Duchshererer (sp?). The A's wanted a at least a couple MLB-ready or ready in a year prime prospects for Blanton and Justin is better. The sox have one maybe two of those, which will probably not be enough to get a guy with a SUB 2.00 ERA IN THE AL. Beane would need to be blown away.

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
If Broadway and Getz were in the package it could happen but is this the best move we could make? I'm thinking we stay with the pitching we have and get a "Willie Tavares" type if we get any help.

Not if Contreras' farts continue to smell better than his starts. Duchscherer is making the AL look silly right now. I think it'll take too much to get him, but ChiSox West might just want all of Charlotte?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
After seeing what the Phils gave up for Blanton. I am convinced the Sox will not be able to get Duchshererer (sp?). The A's wanted a at least a couple MLB-ready or ready in a year prime prospects for Blanton and Justin is better. The sox have one maybe two of those, which will probably not be enough to get a guy with a SUB 2.00 ERA IN THE AL. Beane would need to be blown away.

Keith Law did not seem impressed at all with what the Phils gave up for Blanton. He sees an average 2B, a situational LHP, and a guy who swings and misses a ton.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Keith Law did not seem impressed at all with what the Phils gave up for Blanton. He sees an average 2B, a situational LHP, and a guy who swings and misses a ton.

Beane was clearly selling low on Blanton...the guy has an ERA right now of 4.96 after an ERA of 3.95 last year. He probably decided that he over-valued Blanton last offesason and saw that some of his other young starters (Gio) were ready to start taking their lumps in the big leagues so he made the move for whatever he could get. Duchsherer has an ERA 60% less than Blanton. He might well be on the market, but Beane doesn't have to move him unless he gets something back that will make his team better next year.

QUOTE (ChiCard @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
If Broadway and Getz were in the package it could happen but is this the best move we could make? I'm thinking we stay with the pitching we have and get a "Willie Tavares" type if we get any help.

If that's all it would take to get Duchscherer I hope we end up with him by the end of the week. 2B is a pretty easy position to fill with talent without spending a whole lot of money, and while good #4/#5 starters don't grow on trees, good #4/#5 starter prospects pretty much do. I just don't want to give up on Fields or Poreda if we can help it.

I think the best possible package for the Sox would be something like Masset + Shelby + Nevin Griffith + 1 of Broadway/McCulloch/Richard/Egbert + 2 of Kanekoa Texeira/Russell/Link/Lujan for Duke and Santiago Casilla. The A's get 2 nice prospects in Shelby and Griffith, Masset who might be able to pretty much replace Blanton all on his own, a 4th/5th starter, and a couple live arm relievers. The Sox meanwhile pick up Duke to replace Contreras, moving him to the bullpen as the longman, and Santiago Casilla to come in to replace Masset and be yet another set-up man.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
Again, Sean Gallagher is far better than most people on here realize. The guy will win more games over the next 5 years than Harden and Chacin will.

I'm not arguing it was a poor trade for Beane.

Bernstein just mentioned that various outlets are reporting that KW's talks with the A's regarding a trade for Justin Duchscherer are heating up. Fields and Poreda would likely be involved.

This makes me very nervous because I don't like Duch for the long term one bit.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Bernstein just mentioned that various outlets are reporting that KW's talks with the A's regarding a trade for Justin Duchscherer are heating up. Fields and Poreda would likely be involved.

Do you think it would take much more than that to get Burnett? I mean, if you're going to give away the rest of the farm for Duch, do you do that or try to add whatever else it may take to get AJ?

I'm no baseball expert, so I have no idea how much more it would take to get either of these two.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
Do you think it would take much more than that to get Burnett? I mean, if you're going to give away the rest of the farm for Duch, do you do that or try to add whatever else it may take to get AJ?

I'm no baseball expert, so I have no idea how much more it would take to get either of these two.

I would think that Duch would cost more than Burnett.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)

That is a lot, but if we did this trade and then signed crede long-term (assuming the back is alright) i would crap myself.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
I would think that Duch would cost more than Burnett.

It should cost much less to acquire Burnett since he has the option of opting out of his current contract at season's end so you could be looking at a 2 month rental. Duch on the other hand would be under team control through 2009 and has been arguably the best starting pitcher in baseball this season while Burnett has just been "good."

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Crede has missed the last two games with a sore back, and came out today and said he has never really expected to be back at 100%

It's not my money, but if it was, I really would want to lock it into that sort of investment.

I assume you mean wouldn't

This would be by far the dumbest move that KW could make. You trade away the only pieces of your farm system that are left for a RHP whose fastball tops out at 86 mph? I don't care what type of season he's having, but Duchscherer is not a guy you trade for. He is a fluke if there ever was one. His numbers are probably a product of the park he plays in. I have no clue why Major League hitters aren't all over this guy, but they will be soon enough. He just doesn't have the stuff to sustain long term success as a starter. He'd have to have Greg Maddux control for that to happen. I may buy that he does this year, but he won't longer than that.

If we got Duchscherer would we assume that Contreras is out of the rotation?

I'd rather we went after Lowe in a deal that would also net us LaRoche.

Any takers for Logan + Cabrera for Lowe and LaRoche?

then

Poreda + Fields for Duchscherer

then

Vazquez to Mets for prospects

then prospects to Orioles for Roberts

This is so easy :)

Buerhle

Floyd

Danks

Lowe

Duchshcerer

wow

BTW, I don't ever remember a rumored Sox deal that actually went down, so I doubt this happens.

Quentin: Under the radar

Swisher: Under the radar

Cabrera: Under the radar

Thome: Under the radar

Floyd: Under the radar

Danks/Masset: Under the radar

Thornton: Under the radar

Freddy Garcia: Under the radar

Does anyone ever remember hearing rumors about any of these? Just curious.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
If we got Duchscherer would we assume that Contreras is out of the rotation?

I'd rather we went after Lowe in a deal that would also net us LaRoche.

Any takers for Logan + Cabrera for Lowe and LaRoche?

then

Poreda + Fields for Duchscherer

then

Vazquez to Mets for prospects

then prospects to Orioles for Roberts

This is so easy :)

Buerhle

Floyd

Danks

Lowe

Duchshcerer

wow