Sox Interested in Duchscherer

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
Cough* DLS, Gio for Swish; Carter for Quentin*Cough

thats fine, but we did jack s*** to reload our farm system in teh last 3 drafts....the mets traded a better package for santana than we did for swisher, and still have enough prospects to be going after matt holliday and alot of other big names on the market..

lots of teams trade packages of prospects and still have something left on teh farm....the fact that trading 3 prospect depleted our farm of anything relevant and left us with the worst system in the majors is sad

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 30 year old who hasn't started a game in 5 years, hasn't pitched more than 100 innings in 5 years, with a history of serious durability concerns (spent 6 weeks on the DL during the '06 season with a sore elbow, had elbow tendinitis and triceps issues to start the '07 season and actually missed most of the year with a surgically repaired hip, started this year on the DL with a strained bicep . . . it goes on and on) through his first 16 starts is sporting a sub 2 ERA and sub 1 WHIP and is a free agent after the 2009 season.

I think I know why Billy Beane might be willing to part with Duch. Talk about a high risk, high reward acquisition.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
A 30 year old who hasn't started a game in 5 years, hasn't pitched more than 100 innings in 5 years, with a history of serious durability concerns (had elbow tendinitis and triceps issues to start the '07 season and actually missed most of the year with a surgically repaired hip, started this year on the DL with a strained bicep . . . it goes on and on) through his first 16 starts is sporting a sub 2 ERA and sub 1 WHIP and is a free agent after the 2009 season.

I think I know why Billy Beane might be willing to part with Duch. Talk about a high risk, high reward acquisition.

I understand it to that end. Maybe Jose would go on the DL to "get right", and would be available if Duch flames out.

The problem the White Sox have with acquiring this guy is just about every team needs pitching. This guy also doesn't make enough money to scare teams off. If Beane wants prospects, a lot of these teams can put together a more attractive package than what KW could whip together. Whether or not they want to is another matter. If Beane thought there was a reasonable chance this guy could continue to pitch how he's pitched, he wouldn't be available. He's had pretty good timing dumping pitching.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
I think your posting privileges need to be revoked after that one. Duchscherer is, right now, better than any other SP in the American League. Unless you have HUGE aspirations for Poreda, and if you do you might be as well, just plain crazy.

Poreda+Fields+whatever sounds like a plan to me. We'd have the best rotation in baseball by a mile.

This dude has 21 career major league starts and you are declaring him the best SP in the AL?

Also, why isn't anybody concerned with him tiring out like they are with Danks & Floyd? According to baseball cube, he has not thrown 150 innings since 2003

I don't want duschsherer. Obviously, hee's pitching over his head right now. Plus you would be taking him out of one of the best pitchers parks and putting him in one of the best hitters parks. Plus, he will tire in the second half.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

It would be great addition to our already solid rotation. I don't see it happening.

After reading the original post on WSI it seems like most of members there do not have too much faith in the original poster and are treating it semi-serious, more like a huge rumor, maybe it's just me tho.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
It would be great addition to our already solid rotation. I don't see it happening.

After reading the original post on WSI it seems like most of members there do not have too much faith in the original poster and are treating it semi-serious, more like a huge rumor, maybe it's just me tho.

from what it says the poster just heard that stuff on the radio...though hes a pretty credible guy...i think he has a source either in the sox or dbacks organization....he broke the carlos quentin deal like an hour before anyone else had heard about it

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
let this thread be exhibit number 1 as to why its important to invest in the draft and to have a fruitful minor league system....the cubs and brewers were able to make themselves better very easily, while we are gonna have a very difficult time getting anything of any type of substance done

The Cubs have a really weak farm system. Especially now.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I don't want duschsherer. Obviously, hee's pitching over his head right now. Plus you would be taking him out of one of the best pitchers parks and putting him in one of the best hitters parks. Plus, he will tire in the second half.

I agree with you. It wouldn't surprise me that if he were able to make the rest of his starts this season, his ERA will be a lot closer to 4 than to 2, which would mean he would be pretty mediocre the second half. I wouldn't give up your top prospects for him. If they wanted a couple of tools guys and/or a guy like Richar, I'd roll the dice.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)

I'd trust that poster. He has been pretty accurate in the past.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
As crazy as this may sound considering their seasons up until now, I'd rather KW take Blanton off Beane's hands.

Blanton is the guy I'd target. He's not an ace, but he's a solid pitcher whose value is down a bit.

I'm not really interested in him, i think this year his performance is an abberation and he'll level out after the break. I looked into his #'s a bit and found a breakdown of his season which pretty much sums up what I already thought about him

As we focus on the THT Pitching chart, we get to the good stats. The Duke’s Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) stat is 3.22 - when you compare this to his actual ERA (2.32), we can see that he has been a bit lucky in regards to balls put into play. Sure enough, his DER behind him is at a .750 rate, giving him an approximate BABIP of .250 (we’ll check Fangraphs for the exact number later). Most pitchers surrender a BABIP of .298 or so, confirming that the Duke is a bit fortunate. He has actually induced more fly balls and his Infield Fly (IF/F) percentage is low. The key stat here is the HR/F stat - or Home Runs on Fly Balls. It is a ridiculous 3.9%. HR/F is a stat that normalizes in a small range (11-12%) for most pitchers in the league, and the Duke has shown no ability to depress this rate at such a high level. Lastly, his LOB% is low, at 72.2%. When you add everything together, you can draw a very simple conclusion: The Duke is getting really lucky on balls put into play this year!

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
I like the fact the Sox are looking for an upgrade in the rotation, but I don't like that it's Duchscherer.

1.His value has never been higher. Ever. Not the most ideal time to trade for a guy.

2. I know people think Beane "gave away" Harden to the Cubs, but it was a solid package, the Cubs were just deep enough to be able to trade pieces that didn't hurt their club.

3.Duch is at 108 IP right now. The last time he threw that many innings was in AAA in 03. I don't know if I trust his arm in the 2nd half.

I agree that Beane didn't give away Harden. What he got in retgurn was solid and Harden has such an injury history I think it was a sound move by Oakland. As far as the Sox looking at the #1 starter the A's have all I have to say is wow! I really wonder how much truth there is to this though. Oakland isn't out of it in their own division yet are they?

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
I'm not really interested in him, i think this year his performance is an abberation and he'll level out after the break. I looked into his #'s a bit and found a breakdown of his season which pretty much sums up what I already thought about him

His ERA hasn't been 2.32 since June 4th. His ERA has since fallen to 1.82.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
As crazy as this may sound considering their seasons up until now, I'd rather KW take Blanton off Beane's hands.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
Blanton is the guy I'd target. He's not an ace, but he's a solid pitcher whose value is down a bit.

Yeah, considering what the price would be, I'd take Blanton as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
But, I think this would be a good move. Danks and Floyd will be going over their season best IP this year as well and I don't think that should affect them. Duchscherer might just win the Cy Young and he'd be a great addition. We'd be 5 deep with a solid guy like Vazquez at the back of the rotation.

I'm not sure what I'd give up for him. Getz, Richard, Broadway, and Crede (maybe?)...

So you called me out earlier about this deal and now think it's a good idea. :lolhitting