Sox Interested in Duchscherer

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
If we got Duchscherer would we assume that Contreras is out of the rotation?

I'd rather we went after Lowe in a deal that would also net us LaRoche.

Any takers for Logan + Cabrera for Lowe and LaRoche?

then

Poreda + Fields for Duchscherer

then

Vazquez to Mets for prospects

then prospects to Orioles for Roberts

This is so easy :)

Buerhle

Floyd

Danks

Lowe

Duchshcerer

wow

From now through the end of the 2009 season Javier Vazquez will be a more valuable major league starter than Justin Duchscherer. That is my bold prediction for the day.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
The crazy trade scenarios you just suggested are straight out of an Xbox

I was actually only serious about the LaRoche + Lowe for Cabrera + Logan, then I was joking. The odds of one deal are slim let along 3 huge deals.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
BTW, I don't ever remember a rumored Sox deal that actually went down, so I doubt this happens.

Quentin: Under the radar

Swisher: Under the radar

Cabrera: Under the radar

Thome: Under the radar

Floyd: Under the radar

Danks/Masset: Under the radar

Thornton: Under the radar

Freddy Garcia: Under the radar

Does anyone ever remember hearing rumors about any of these? Just curious.

Lol good point. I think in 2004 the Sox were 'one' of the many teams interested in Garcia, but everyone was shocked when it happened. Well hopefully KW shocks us again and nets us Holiday ;)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
All this talk of duscherer and were gonna end up with someone nobody thought was going to get traded from a team nobody is talking about.

book it.

lol you are probably right! but i am intrigued to hear that KW is being aggressive. Hell yea, he sees another WS chance and he is going for it. Well hopefully... i know it will be hard to part with Fields (especially with Crede's uncertainty) but we have a chance to do it now, and another top of the rotation guy can definitley help that chance.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
From now through the end of the 2009 season Javier Vazquez will be a more valuable major league starter than Justin Duchsherer. That is my bold prediction for the day.

I would take that bet any day of the week.

Duch would have to fall off considerably and Vazquez would need a stroke of good luck. Still very possible because you're talking about a guy with basically no track record as a starter versus a guy with good stuff who's always an underachiever. But Duch would have to fall very hard (his track record as a stud reliever makes me think he'll be at worst a 4 ERA guy) whereas Vazquez would pretty much need another career season.

OMG, a pitcher pitching well without a 95 mph fastball! Plus command, a plus curve, and a good cutter. Sign me up. Don't give a s*** that he can't run it up in the mid 90's. Duch wasn't a failed SP turned RP. In fact, he was damn good throughout the minors. He moved purely based on the fact Oakland's rotation was nasty and the pen wasn't. He became an all-star there, and now he's back in the rotation where he's needed. He's good. Not this good, but he's good.

I'll put Buehrle, Duch, Vazquez, and Danks up against any playoff rotation in baseball.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Can't do it. I wan to win more than anyone this season, but not for the Sox final two bullets.

Truth. The guy is going to slow down due to workload any day now and i'd hate to mortgage all we have left in the system. Poreda at worst is going to be a solid pen arm, and Fields is our starting 3B next year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Bernstein just mentioned that various outlets are reporting that KW's talks with the A's regarding a trade for Justin Duchscherer are heating up. Fields and Poreda would likely be involved.

This makes me very nervous because I don't like Duch for the long term one bit.

Will Carrol reported it this afternoon too. Said they are legit talks.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
OMG, a pitcher pitching well without a 95 mph fastball! Plus command, a plus curve, and a good cutter. Sign me up. Don't give a s*** that he can't run it up in the mid 90's. Duch wasn't a failed SP turned RP. In fact, he was damn good throughout the minors. He moved purely based on the fact Oakland's rotation was nasty and the pen wasn't. He became an all-star there, and now he's back in the rotation where he's needed. He's good. Not this good, but he's good.

I'll put Buehrle, Duch, Vazquez, and Danks up against any playoff rotation in baseball.

And he moved back to the rotation because he was falling pray to a new injury every other week and spending at least a month per season on the DL. He figured moving to the rotation and pitching every 5th day would help him avoid these injuries. So far so good but when taking into account his medical history, the fact that he hasn't made a start in 5 years prior to this season and hasn't thrown 100+ innings since 2003 what are the chances he holds up to the workload?

Well, I'm not sure if I'd be in favor of the move or not, if it happened. He's a great SP this year but like many of you have said, arm troubles due to fatigue are definitley possible. However, hopefully KW makes the right move- if he got Duchscherer, he'd show us we're going for it all this year. I say go for it and pray.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Oakland has Duchscherer slotted for saturday. Im sure if KW brings him over it would be either tonight or tommorow if its going to happen at all.

Not necessarily. Teams are always looking for pitchers. He's cheap and has been on fire this year. Beane may wait until a few minutes before the deadline to see if anyone is ridiculously desperate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
Not necessarily. Teams are always looking for pitchers. He's cheap and has been on fire this year. Beane may wait until a few minutes before the deadline to see if anyone is ridiculously desperate.

If that's the case, why are we giving them arguably our best position player prospect and arguably our best pitching prospect?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
If that's the case, why are we giving them arguably our best position player prospect and arguably our best pitching prospect?

I'm talking about his salary. Fields may be the Sox best position player prospect, but I can tell you this, if KW traded a guy having Jason D's season for a 25 year old in AAA hitting .248, not known for his glove work, striking out more than once per 3 ABs, this board would be livid. Obviously a career can be salvaged, but he's certainly not can't miss. But I also agree trading for this guy is dangerous. I don't think I'd give up Fields and Poreda for him.

Edited by Dick Allen