Sox Interested in Duchscherer

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
If that's the case, why are we giving them arguably our best position player prospect and arguably our best pitching prospect?

Good + inexpensive + signed to more than this year = higher trade value

combo of bad, expensive and or 1/2 season rental = lower trade value

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)
Ok so according to Cowley (he's on the Score right now) Duchscherer is NOT a priority for the Sox right now, he's plan C or D, the only reason the Sox would deal for Duch is if 1 or 2 other deals fall through.

Does that mean they will break into when he's talking to announce the deal?

It appears the White Sox want Cabrera gone. If they accomplish this while acquiring a lead off hitter fine. But if its just for Lowe, who I like, I think the team will really struggle. It will even get slower. What will be interesting reading is Cowley's write-up the day OC is gone.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Bernstein just mentioned that various outlets are reporting that KW's talks with the A's regarding a trade for Justin Duchscherer are heating up. Fields and Poreda would likely be involved.

This makes me very nervous because I don't like Duch for the long term one bit.

Do that in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
Ok so according to Cowley (he's on the Score right now) Duchscherer is NOT a priority for the Sox right now, he's plan C or D, the only reason the Sox would deal for Duch is if 1 or 2 other deals fall through.

Did he say who plan A and B is? And wouldn't they deal for Duchscherer if 1 or 2 deals DON'T fall through?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
Do that in a heartbeat.

Really? I think this is a perfect example of Billy Beane selling high on a pitcher. I think Duescherer is a good pitcher but the guy has a sub 2.00 ERA. Do you think that will last? Without going on a limb, I'm guessing he's having a career year.

That being said, I wouldn't mid having him on my team as he could start and relieve. It all depends on what Oakland wants. With Crede's back acting up, trading Fields is a gamble for a team that wants to win this year let alone having him in the future.

From this article, it sounds like Duch would be in for a big increase in salary from his $1.2 mill salary. That sounds like Beane about to trade a player before he gets expensive. The A's would likely get the most now for him. If they kept him for the rest of 2008 and he dropped off, teams would be leery of giving up a lot for him. A Fields and Poreda deal would have to be tempting to the A's.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...d=rss.athletics

My question is, can they trade/ unload Jose C? My guess is yes.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
Did he say who plan A and B is? And wouldn't they deal for Duchscherer if 1 or 2 deals DON'T fall through?

If he said who plan A and B were I would have posted it.

And no, according to Cowley Duchscherer is kind of a fall back plan, if KW can't land his #1 or #2 targets then he'll turn to the A's and Duch. So in order for Duchscherer to end up with the Sox a couple other deals would have to fall through (ie: not happen.) I assume you just misunderstood the definition of the term "fall through."

IMO, Duch should be the #1 target, if the price is right. If it's Poreda and Fields +, that would be fine w/ me. Duch is having an awesome year, has gone 8 straight starts of 7 innings, including 8 innings of 1 hit ball vs. the Red Sox, wants to sign a long term deal, and at minimum be around for 2 more years.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
From this article, it sounds like Duch would be in for a big increase in salary from his $1.2 mill salary. That sounds like Beane about to trade a player before he gets expensive. The A's would likely get the most now for him. If they kept him for the rest of 2008 and he dropped off, teams would be leery of giving up a lot for him. A Fields and Poreda deal would have to be tempting to the A's.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...d=rss.athletics

My question is, can they trade/ unload Jose C? My guess is yes.

They could move Contreras to the pen as a long reliever/spot starter.

Or, they may be able to include him in some kind of deal for another bad contract/unwanted player that ends after '09 or includes a team option after '09 that is unlikely to be picked up.

Some players who fit that description: Frank Catalanatto, Ryan Franklin, Aubrey Huff, Geoff Jenkins, Austin Kearns, Kevin Millwood, Melvin Mora, Brett Meyers (hell no to the wife beater), Vicente Padilla (f***in asshole), Dave Roberts, Jason Schmidt (done forever?), Scott Schoenweis, Gary Sheffield (highly unlikely), Jaime Walker, Jarrod Washburn, Jack Wilson, Randy Winn, Dmitri Young.

Most of these guys suck pretty hard but whatever. Maybe there could be a fit somewhere. Millwood and Winn could be good.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
IMO, Duch should be the #1 target, if the price is right. If it's Poreda and Fields +, that would be fine w/ me. Duch is having an awesome year, has gone 8 straight starts of 7 innings, including 8 innings of 1 hit ball vs. the Red Sox, wants to sign a long term deal, and at minimum be around for 2 more years.

Coming into this season Duchscherer had a service number of 4.051 which means he'll be up over 5 this year and assuming he doesn't spend up much time in the minors next year he'll be a free agent after the 2009 season. So at minimum he'd be under White Sox control for 8 months.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
Has Duke had any surgery on his shoulder/elbow in his history?

Not that I've seen. He did have reconstrucive hip surgery last season and missed some games this year with right biceps tendinitis but from what I've found he hasn't had any surgery on his arm.

Here's kind of a run through of some of his injuries:

26-Apr-08 Missed 17 games (right biceps tendinitis).

01-Oct-07 Missed the last 125 games of the regular season (right hip injury). [led to surgery]

23-Jun-06 Missed 37 games (right elbow injury).

25-May-05 Missed 12 games (back spasms).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 03:48 AM)
Coming into this season Duchscherer had a service number of 4.051 which means he'll be up over 5 this year and assuming he doesn't spend up much time in the minors next year he'll be a free agent after the 2009 season. So at minimum he'd be under White Sox control for 8 months.

From that article I linked, it sounds like Duch wants some security with a deal. He should be easy to sign if they dealt for him.

BTW, Does Jose have a no-trade for 2008? Or did that expire?