7/14 Games

bighurt4life

Charlotte is off

Birmingham is off

W-S vs. Kinston

Bobby Jenks got the start and went 1IP with 1ER and 3H. Brandon Allen went yard for #15 on the season, Shelby is 2 for 3 with a 2b

Kannapolis vs. Rome Game 1- Shirek with the start, Escobar 2 for 3

game 2 Kannapolis vs. Rome

Bristol vs. Danville

Silverio breaks out of a slump going 2 for 4 with his 3rd HR and 4 rbi's. He also has his 10th error on the season. ouch

Great Falls vs. Ogden

Gerst with a BB and a SB already He has 4 sb with 0 cs, obp of .447 and an ops of almost 1.200 Its time to move him up to Kanny

Edited by bighurt4life

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
Escobar 2-3 in game 1. He's gotta start hitting for some power and walking. Mixed results so far in Kanny.

He's only 19 so i'm not too worried. I'm assuming he'll be in Kanny next year too so we'll see what adjustments he can make in the offseason and how much muscle he can add. I'd like to see him stealing bases though. You'd think with his frame and not much power that he'd have some speed.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
He's only 19 so i'm not too worried. I'm assuming he'll be in Kanny next year too so we'll see what adjustments he can make in the offseason and how much muscle he can add. I'd like to see him stealing bases though. You'd think with his frame and not much power that he'd have some speed.

What's interesting to me is, they moved Escobar up to Kanny, and had previously moved Miranda back down to Kanny. Miranda has been playing a little SS, but mostly 2B, 3B and DH, while Escobar is at short. I am not sure if that means that the org is higher on Escobar than Miranda, or if they just think Miranda needs to focus on hitting.

I am really interested to see what the various SS's in the system do as the year goes on, and where they start next year. Beckham, Escobar, Silverio, Miranda, Paiml... I wonder if they will all still even be in the org next year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 06:17 AM)
What's interesting to me is, they moved Escobar up to Kanny, and had previously moved Miranda back down to Kanny. Miranda has been playing a little SS, but mostly 2B, 3B and DH, while Escobar is at short. I am not sure if that means that the org is higher on Escobar than Miranda, or if they just think Miranda needs to focus on hitting.

I am really interested to see what the various SS's in the system do as the year goes on, and where they start next year. Beckham, Escobar, Silverio, Miranda, Paiml... I wonder if they will all still even be in the org next year.

The org is much much higher on Escobar than they are on Miranda. Miranda is an organizational player, imo.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Miranda needs to start hitting or else he'll become a lower level version of Robert Valido.

He's hitting .306.

The org may be not so high on Miranda, but I still think he's got the goods. His 2007 was pretty amazing, for a lower round draft pick... drafted as a 20-year old, absolutely raked in Great Falls (.464/.516/.643/1.159), then promoted to Kanny where his average went up every month (finished at .282/.384/.349/.732). He started 2008 at W-S at age 21, and struggled badly at the plate, so they demoted him back to Kanny (which made sense). Now, he's hitting over .300.

I'm not ready to call Miranda an org guy yet. His record so far just doesn't say that to me - he walks as often, or more, than he strikes out. I think he's got more potential than Paiml (W-S), who turns 23 in a few weeks and has a .616 OPS at W-S.

I do think that Beckham (obviously), Escobar and possibly Silverio are higher ceiling than Miranda. Therefore, if it were up to me, I'd be promoting Miranda to W-S as soon as Beckham signs. Valido is worthless, so Paiml can move up to AA, which is more his age level anyway.

One more interesting note on Miranda. He's been playing all over - 2B, 3B, SS, DH... so he may also be looked at as a future utility infielder. I think it has more to do with letting Escobar play and havign Sergio work on his hitting, but, we'll see.

Well, since obviously I don't make the decisions on these players, I'll also add my prediction of what the Sox are likely to do... I think you'll see Miranda starting at 2B in W-S next year, across from Beckham at SS. Paiml will start at B-Ham. As the year goes on, Beckham moves to B-Ham, Escobar to W-S, with Silverio to Kanny (having started at GF). V-Merc will be the 2B in Charlotte, with Getz and Richar gone to wherever. Paiml may also move to 2B, and stay in B-Ham, when Beckham arrives.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Well, since obviously I don't make the decisions on these players, I'll also add my prediction of what the Sox are likely to do... I think you'll see Miranda starting at 2B in W-S next year, across from Beckham at SS. Paiml will start at B-Ham. As the year goes on, Beckham moves to B-Ham, Escobar to W-S, with Silverio to Kanny (having started at GF). V-Merc will be the 2B in Charlotte, with Getz and Richar gone to wherever. Paiml may also move to 2B, and stay in B-Ham, when Beckham arrives.

Depending on how Silverio progresses, I think you'll see him start the year at Kanny. That is because the Sox are likely to fast track him and having him in Kanny means he gets a full year of experience as opposed to a short season of experience. This of course depends heavily on how he does now and how he handles summer league play (I'm sure he'll be playing somewhere).

This of course means you'll have Escobar/Beckham in tough spots. Escobar is clearly pretty highly thought of as is Beckham (most highly touted). Beckham probably starts the year in Winston Salem which means if Silverio is playing in Kanny Escobar is without a spot (however, I think they'll juggle Silverio in a sense and have him play some 3B which is where some project he'll eventually end up). So essentially I think Silverio and Escobar will both be in Kanny to open the year with Escobar going up to Winston Salem if all goes well upon Beckham's promotion to Bham.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Depending on how Silverio progresses, I think you'll see him start the year at Kanny. That is because the Sox are likely to fast track him and having him in Kanny means he gets a full year of experience as opposed to a short season of experience. This of course depends heavily on how he does now and how he handles summer league play (I'm sure he'll be playing somewhere).

This of course means you'll have Escobar/Beckham in tough spots. Escobar is clearly pretty highly thought of as is Beckham (most highly touted). Beckham probably starts the year in Winston Salem which means if Silverio is playing in Kanny Escobar is without a spot (however, I think they'll juggle Silverio in a sense and have him play some 3B which is where some project he'll eventually end up). So essentially I think Silverio and Escobar will both be in Kanny to open the year with Escobar going up to Winston Salem if all goes well upon Beckham's promotion to Bham.

Thing is though, Silverio is (supposedly) 16. Even if he does one year at each level - Bristol, GF, Kanny, W-S, B-Ham and Charlotte - he'll only be 21 at Charlotte. So he's basically fast track by nature. I get the impression that they won't rush him. Regier has been quoted as saying they don't want to rush the younger players too much (like they did with Valido).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
I should point out, odds are you are exactly correct with your assumptions. However, Silverio could change things with a strong short-season and impressive performances in winter league.

Yeah, obviously all the players we are discussing here could surprise us, good or bad. Any one of them having really bad, or really good, seasons, could change the whole stack.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
Seems unusual to be thinking "what are we going to do with all these middle infielders?", doesn't it?

I like that kind of problem. :)

Big change from a year ago. The 2007 draft, the 2008 draft, plus the latin market acquisitions of Silverio and Escobar, have changed the SS situation in the system from awful to talent-crowded. Definitely a good problem to have.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
Big change from a year ago. The 2007 draft, the 2008 draft, plus the latin market acquisitions of Silverio and Escobar, have changed the SS situation in the system from awful to talent-crowded. Definitely a good problem to have.

It should be noted, once upon a time ago (really not that long ago), the Sox had Tim Hummel/Ruddy Yan/Andy Gonzalez/Robert Valido/Pedro Lopez. Now I know none of them screamed all star potential but at one point people thought highly of these individuals for various reasons.

Yan was ridiculously fast and had the slap hitting ability of say a Luis Castillo (or at least that was his upside)

Hummel projected to be a Mark Grudz type of offensive 2Bman (not great defense, but raked for a large stint of his minor league career and was eventually traded to Cinncy)

Gonzalez was once ridiculously hyped. Great defensive tools, good raw power

Valido very hyped and had great defensive talents

Lopez was slick fielding and actually hit decently in the minors (despite not projecting to be a great hitter) and had a nice skill-set.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
It should be noted, once upon a time ago (really not that long ago), the Sox had Tim Hummel/Ruddy Yan/Andy Gonzalez/Robert Valido/Pedro Lopez. Now I know none of them screamed all star potential but at one point people thought highly of these individuals for various reasons.

Yan was ridiculously fast and had the slap hitting ability of say a Luis Castillo (or at least that was his upside)

Hummel projected to be a Mark Grudz type of offensive 2Bman (not great defense, but raked for a large stint of his minor league career and was eventually traded to Cinncy)

Gonzalez was once ridiculously hyped. Great defensive tools, good raw power

Valido very hyped and had great defensive talents

Lopez was slick fielding and actually hit decently in the minors (despite not projecting to be a great hitter) and had a nice skill-set.

That's a very good point. Of all the shortstops we are discussing - Beckham, Escobar, Silverio, Miranda, Paiml... odds are, only one or two at most will be major league talent. And the most hyped ones aren't always the ones that make it. So you never know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
That's a very good point. Of all the shortstops we are discussing - Beckham, Escobar, Silverio, Miranda, Paiml... odds are, only one or two at most will be major league talent. And the most hyped ones aren't always the ones that make it. So you never know.

Well, Beckham is already an MLB-talent, so there is one. My best guess is that Silverio or Escobar become the other one from this group, not sure which, but I am gonna guess only one. But at least with Beckham, you know you have a MLB-caliber player right now. Watch him have a very easy transition to the pro game because he was very good in the Cape Cod League last year with a wood bat. Of all the draft picks this year, he has one of the lowest floors, and a pretty good ceiling. At worst, I see him as a .270, 15 HR, 20 SB type middle infielder with the potential to be a .300, 30 HR, 30 SB guy from a middle infielder which would be simply amazing, but he has the talent, work ethic and baseball IQ to become that.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
Well, Beckham is already an MLB-talent, so there is one. My best guess is that Silverio or Escobar become the other one from this group, not sure which, but I am gonna guess only one. But at least with Beckham, you know you have a MLB-caliber player right now. Watch him have a very easy transition to the pro game because he was very good in the Cape Cod League last year with a wood bat. Of all the draft picks this year, he has one of the lowest floors, and a pretty good ceiling. At worst, I see him as a .270, 15 HR, 20 SB type middle infielder with the potential to be a .300, 30 HR, 30 SB guy from a middle infielder which would be simply amazing, but he has the talent, work ethic and baseball IQ to become that.

I tend not to see anyone in any system as 100% or 0%. I think sometimes people boil it down to that for certain players, and I think its not accurate.

Beckham is well over 90%, to be sure. But there is no such thing as a sure-bet prospect. On the other side, Paiml may be 5%, and Miranda 10%, but they aren't zero. Know what I mean?

FYI...Valido has 20 errors this year, mostly throwing. He doesn't have the arm strength for SS anymore. Schnurstein has bailed him out a few times to save an error. Plus, he doesn't dive for balls at all. He has alligator arms.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
Thing is though, Silverio is (supposedly) 16. Even if he does one year at each level - Bristol, GF, Kanny, W-S, B-Ham and Charlotte - he'll only be 21 at Charlotte. So he's basically fast track by nature. I get the impression that they won't rush him. Regier has been quoted as saying they don't want to rush the younger players too much (like they did with Valido).

He's actually 17 now so he'd be 22 at charlotte