Pizza

SoxFan1

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
Let me ask you people this. Anyone ever been to SF? (calling all you cali sox fans)

In SF all they eat is this sourdough pizza, you can get some pretty good s*** near the piers. I wish they had that here, its AMAZING.

Been to SF, but never though about having pizza there. I was too full of clam chowder.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a place called louisa's at like 143rd and cicero, I think the owner used to work for Malnatti's and branched off....its not quite as "deep" are giordanos but i think its the best deep dish ive had

i used to really like giordanos as a kid, but ive grown to like louisa's, malnattis, and gino's better...something about that cornmeal crust i guess, though i havent had girodanos deep dish in like 7 years, if i had it now im sure id still love it

but as i said earlier...palermos on 95th just west of cicero...for thin crust, nothing is better, especially if you like your sauce sweet

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
but as i said earlier...palermos on 95th just west of cicero...for thin crust, nothing is better, especially if you like your sauce sweet

They are good. Baracco's (sp?) on 95th also does a decent thin pie. Not my favorite, but certainly serviceable and I'd eat a whole one by myself right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
You have to try Barnaby's. Best pizza ever, IMO. Its a crappy little restaurant, there are 3 or 4 of them, around the north and northwest side and suburbs. Dark, dingy, poorly decorated, and you have to pick up your pizza at the counter (they scream numbers over a PA system). But the pie is just amazing.

Amen. I love Barnaby's. I go to the one off Skokie Highway and it is amazing. Sometimes I think I love the crust more than the pizza, but really its all yummy. Can't go wrong with the pepperoni.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
IIRC, there was a Falco's in Hinsdale off of South Kingery Hwy....is that still there too?

Yes but it moved from that dingy shack that was hard to get into, about 50 feet to the left where a dunkin donuts used to be. How can only one person have mentioned rosatis best thin crust in town. The old man and i can put away a family size sausage by ourselves its so good

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
There are really 3 primary types of "Chicago" pizza. The famous deep dish pie of course... the south side, buttery thin crust... and the cracker crust Chicago thin. For those three, the best, IMO:

Deep Dish: Lou Malnati's (Due's and Girodano's get silver and bronze)

South Side: Home Run Inn (nothing else I've had comes close - and don't tell me Connie's)

Cracker: Barnaby's (Jake's gets a silver)

I can't argue with your list. I'd add Rosati's for a thin crust bacon. Devil's Revenge at Pat's Pizza in Grayslake because I ate so much of it when I worked for him in college like almost 30 years ago.

I have skipped over DaPizza Joint on South Padre Island for years. I just never placed the beach and pizza in the same breath. Last night a co-worker asked if I wanted to have dinner with her. I wasn't hungry and agreed to have a beer while she ate. Bottom line, she learned that for a Chicago guy, if you put pizza in front of us, and it's good to very good, hungery or not, it will be eaten. Think northwoods of Wisconsin, meets Barnaby's piano playing, with a pretty damn good pie.

So I now have two pretty damn good pizza places here in South Texas. I can be happy.

Now if I found a gyro place . . .

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 05:49 AM)
I hope you either own a franchise or that was supposed to be in green.

I thought their bacon pizza (not Canadian) was very good. But that was 15 years ago and in Schaumburg. Things change.

Ended up having Deep Dish Pizza at Lou's yesterday.

It looked small when we had it (only got the individual pizza), but it really filled you up. The sauce was really good, and I'll definitely go back there again.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Ended up having Deep Dish Pizza at Lou's yesterday.

It looked small when we had it (only got the individual pizza), but it really filled you up. The sauce was really good, and I'll definitely go back there again.

I hate you. lol, there are so many times I am dyiung for a Lou's sausage pizza. It is always on my to do list when I get back to Chicago.

I've had Giordano's a few times and had both Giordano's and Lou's this weekend and I want to say that without a doubt, Lou's was better. It wasn't even close. Lou's was the best deep dish I've ever had.

I still don't think it beats Lombardi's New York pizza but its easily in my top 4 or 5.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 07:21 AM)
I thought their bacon pizza (not Canadian) was very good. But that was 15 years ago and in Schaumburg. Things change.

Depends on who is running your franchise. The one by me used to be just O.K.. Now there is a new owner of the franchise and the pizza on a few of the recent trips has been VERY good.