Why Do You Love Baseball

Chisoxfn

I like baseball mostly because my dad likes baseball. He had me playing pickle with my little sister as the baserunner when I was 7. I'll never forget going to Sox games with him when I was little and getting early so we could watch how the good players carried themselves and how I should play the game. I never made it past small time college ball, but I'll never forget how much I enjoyed playing and how much my dad enjoyed watching me play.

That said, I've come to appreciate the discrete nature of baseball, how it lends itself so well to analysis and yet continues to amaze and surprise. It really is a beautiful game on many levels.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
Actually it's changed significantly on numerous occasions.

that maybe so but the game is still pretty much the same. Bowie Kuhn has a great quote:

"I believe in the Rip Van Winkle Theory- That a man from 1910 must be able to wake up after being asleep for seventy years, walk into a ballpark and understand baseball perfectly."

I never made it past small time college ball, but I'll never forget how much I enjoyed playing and how much my dad enjoyed watching me play.

Playing small time college ball is still going a lot farther in the sport than most of us did.

I didn't survive cuts at Brother Rice when to my chagrin they had tryouts by position.

There were about 50 guys lined up at third base on my tryout day.

I made it past one cut then in tryout number two booted a ball or two, threw one away and fouled off too many pitches instead of putting them in play. I was done.

I bet your dad loved the fact you obviously played h.s. ball through small college. Good stuff.

more artistry in baseball than any other sport (pitching and hitting in particular)

speed alone doesn't trump other athletic abilities as it does in f'ball and hoops (a major annoyance for me)

variety in parks similar to the variety of golf courses

grew up in a die hard 4 generation whitesox household in bridgeport, just part of my DNA.......

you feel so attached to your team. They are like a part of your family for 6 months out of the year.

It's something to bring together friends and family.

the fact that it seems so simple on the outside, but is so deep in strategy.