Rumor: Sox Amongst 9 Interested in Frederico

Chisoxfn

http://mlbtr.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/8691437

At least nine teams are monitoring Freddy Garcia: the Yankees, Mets, Astros, Rangers, Royals, Red Sox, Phillies, Tigers, and White Sox. We've seen the Braves, Rays, and Cubs mentioned too. Garcia's agent isn't up for an '09 option with his client. A-Rod is said to be pushing for the Yankees to sign him.

If the Sox don't want to make a trade and are concerned with Contreras or how the young arms will hold up down the stretch, Garcia would be the best option. He's scheduled to throw off a mound towards the end of this month which means you are talking about a late August return. Again there is a lot of risk in such a signing given that you still don't know the status of his health (until he pitches, you don't know jack, imo) plus your talking about at least a month rehab.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Iam still happy we got rid of him when we did.It would be foolish to bring him back.

Why would it be foolish? Low risk, High reward. It isnt as if he is angling for a huge contract

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
Why would it be foolish? Low risk, High reward. It isnt as if he is angling for a huge contract

Its not soo much the money,its the commitment.He will never be the Garcia from 05' again and I dont want to see him in the rotation.We dodged the bullet once already with him, lets not get in front of the gun again.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)

i agree with this sentiment...nothing guaranteed....do what the bosox have done with colon

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Its not soo much the money,its the commitment.He will never be the Garcia from 05' again and I dont want to see him in the rotation.We dodged the bullet once already with him, lets not get in front of the gun again.

Why is the commitment foolish? Garcia is going to want to prove himself with a 1 year deal. If the Sox get something out of him, great, it not, he fools around in AAA for the last half of the year and he is out. The Sox arent gonna sign him and just plug him into the rotation from the getgo

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
Why is the commitment foolish? Garcia is going to want to prove himself with a 1 year deal. If the Sox get something out of him, great, it not, he fools around in AAA for the last half of the year and he is out. The Sox arent gonna sign him and just plug him into the rotation from the getgo

Problem is, he may be looking for a major league contract. He may only sign with a team that will not send him down. That is a commitment, and one I pesonally wouldn't make with Freddy at this point.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)

Bottom line is Freddy in his best case scenario wont be a better option than Count unless Count gets hurt.I guess it wouldnt be foolish if we sign him and have him down in the minors until the worst case scenario happens and we have no other option than Freddy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
He's throwing 84-87 mph, according to his agent. In agent talk, that means he threw 87 mph once on a fast gun, and he's in the 82-85 mph range.

Considering he's yet to really throw off a mound or make starts, if he's hitting 87 on occasion it wouldn't be a bad sign. There is no reason you can't see him adding another 2-5MPH on his fastball from that point as he continues to regain the strength in his arm.

It would likely lead to this weird situation where he'd be expecting to start in the playoffs, but would likely be in the pen. Could be messy.

It'll already be weird as is when Contreras is ending up in that position. Hopefully he can be comfortable trying to be the 05 Duque somehow.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)

He'd have to first prove himself in AAA. If he doesn't hit the right velocity and show good stuff in AAA you don't even bring him to the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 07:31 AM)
Problem is, he may be looking for a major league contract. He may only sign with a team that will not send him down. That is a commitment, and one I pesonally wouldn't make with Freddy at this point.

There is no way he's going to make his debut at the major league level. He'd obviously be signing a major league deal, but he'd be getting numerous rehab stints at the minor league level and you can use those stints as part of the evaluation process. If he doesn't meet your standards, have a deal with Freddy that you release him before August 31st, so that he has time to sign on with another team and potentially make there post season roster (usually you wouldn't do this, but the Sox and Garcia have a good working relationship and it would be the right thing to do).

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
I say we sign him if for no other reason than to block the Tigers from signing him.

I don't want to see the Tigers acquiring pitching that could help them in a second half run.

Freddie isn't signing somewhere that doesn't give him a chance to pitch several games before the season's up on a regular basis. Any pitching he does this year is an audition for his contract next year.

If Contreras shows signs of life again in his next 2 starts i say sign Freddy as a spot starter/ long man. (AkA El-duques role heading down the stretch and into the playoffs in '05) Loaiza is done, i'd rather give Freddy a shot over Estaban for that role. If Contreras continues to struggle, than I really hope KW attempts to get another strong arm (Blanton, Duscherer, Cabrera etc...)