Trade Winds Catch All

Chisoxfn

Saw on bottom line that Barry Bonds agent indicated that the odds are slim that Bonds will play this season. It sucks cause he definitely is good enough to help numerous contending teams. I still think the Angels/Dodgers, who both could clearly use a legit power bat in there lineup, are fools for not at least considering bringing in Bonds.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus likes Brian Roberts to the White Sox.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7820

I don't like this deal unless it's accompanied by sending Orlando Cabrera out of town (Dodgers, maybe, for a prospect)

if he walks as a FA don't we get 2 draft picks?

the Sox arent gonna move Cabrera and switch Ramirez to short right now, too many things could go wrong here. Earlier in the year I was all for it, but that was before Ramirez became a regular.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
Did a lot of good to have 4 picks in the 1999 draft....

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?f...aft_type=junreg

seriously you are referencing a draft 9 years ago as a reason why the Sox shouldnt want 2 draft picks?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus likes Brian Roberts to the White Sox.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7820

I don't like this deal unless it's accompanied by sending Orlando Cabrera out of town (Dodgers, maybe, for a prospect)

Why would you want OC out right now? He's been hitting better and playing better defense. He has a ton of playoff experience at a key position. No prospect is going to do us any good this season.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
seriously you are referencing a draft 9 years ago as a reason why the Sox shouldnt want 2 draft picks?

OK, here are the Sox first round / first round supplemental picks since 1999 -

2000 - Borchard (bust, expensive at that)

2001- Honel (bust, injuries), Wyatt Allen (bust)

2002- Royce Ring (college reliever, traded for a worthless half season of Alomar)

2003- Brian Anderson (strug-gell-ling)

2004- Fields (showed promise last year, but in minors), Lumsden (bust, injuries), and Gio Gonzalez (very good, but traded away-twice)

2005- Broadway (low K/9 pitcher doing OK in AAA)

2006- McCullough (bust, not really talented)

2007- Poreda (jury still out)

The Sox's drafts since 1999 are the reason why they aren't consistently winning the AL Central, especially given their payroll.

Other than 2004, when the Sox picked Fields and Gio Gonzalez, they haven't been able to figure out who the top shelf talent is. So, no, I don't feel any great loss over a supplemental first round pick given up by trading Cabrera away mid-season.

You could make a case that the Sox could have dealt some of those guys for top notch players (Honel early on, Borchard, Anderson).

Can't say the same about McCulloch/Broadway. McCulloch was by far the worse of that group of picks. Well I guess I could make a case for Royce Ring given the fact that Blanton was on the boards (and was someone everyone wanted).

Lumsden busted but more due to injuries than lack of stuff and had very good potential and the Royals thought highly enough in him to trade for MacDougall (who at the time was pitching lights out). Whisler was a terrible selection though.

I just dont agree that you should ignore draft picks because of past failures. Isnt the scouting department in the middle of an overhaul right now? Should we hold them accountable for the past regimes failures? And as Chisoxfn pointed out, even though you can consider some of those players busts, they still netted ML talent from trades.

I wouldn't have any problem with the Sox signing Cabrera to an extension. I think it would give the team time to develop Gordon Beckham and see where he fits in before moving Ramirez to SS. It is possible Gordon goes to 2B and Alexei to SS but Gordon probably needs time to develop.

Edited by elrockinMT

Roberts doesnt make sense for us this year, but next year it does. Especially with Crede AND Cabrera being unrestricted free agents. Hopefully we can keep Crede, but i think we all know Cabrera is gone. But this year he is too valuable to our sucess to trade him. So next year is where you put Alexie at SS and make a strong push for Roberts during the offseason.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Is Alexei a great ss defensively? If so, fine, but it'd be nice to pencil him in at second for the next 10 years. He's a great hitter and appears comfy at second. Maybe he's just as good at ss, just asking.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it, but the folks in the org at least through the media say that 2nd base is his worst defensive position out of SS, CF, and 2b, and SS is his best.

Why would you want OC out right now? He's been hitting better and playing better defense. He has a ton of playoff experience at a key position. No prospect is going to do us any good this season.

He doesn't want to be here and isn't part of the Sox's plan after this season. Screw him. Ramirez is supposed to be our SS of the future.

How do you know he doesnt want to be here?

He was quoted in Anaheim after receiving his gold glove how much his missed the place. After Cowley reported he wasn't showing interest in signing an extension, Cabrera refuses to talk to him.

The writing's on the wall. He publically whines and isn't afraid to pout to anyone to get his way, and he doesn't want a contract extension. He can take his soft average and overrated and underwhelming defense elsewhere.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
He was quoted in Anaheim after receiving his gold glove how much his missed the place. After Cowley reported he wasn't showing interest in signing an extension, Cabrera refuses to talk to him.

The writing's on the wall. He publically whines and isn't afraid to pout to anyone to get his way, and he doesn't want a contract extension. He can take his soft average and overrated and underwhelming defense elsewhere.

His uppercut swing is really pissing me off.

The Sox aren't going to deal OC unless they get blown away with an offer. That would mean Kemp and a good prospect for OC and I highly doubt the Dodgers would do that.

The sad thing is they probably could trade Kemp for OC and I wouldn't have a problem with that. The issue is you'd have to find a taker for Paulie at that point (since you would have 4 OFer's).

This may sound dumb and reek of panic just cause we've lost 3 in a row, but I think this year KW should make some moves right now. The team did a good job the first half in staying in the race, but don't you all just have a gut feeling (with the staff struggling of late and the offense still Jeckyll-Hyde) that this is the year KW ought to make a splash? If Paulie was playing like the old Paulie and our bullpen as rock solid as it was the first half, I might not have written this post.

Maybe we are good enough to win it without a trade. Some of you guys/girls are pretty damn smart about baseball, and I'll respect your opinion on the matter. I just feel as of today, KW ought to do something this year. I realize only certain teams would deal with us since we are contenders. Other GMs do stuff this time of year. He's been on a roll with some great moves, shouldn't he make 2 more to help us make the playoffs??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
OK, here are the Sox first round / first round supplemental picks since 1999 -

2000 - Borchard (bust, expensive at that)

2001- Honel (bust, injuries), Wyatt Allen (bust)

2002- Royce Ring (college reliever, traded for a worthless half season of Alomar)

2003- Brian Anderson (strug-gell-ling)

2004- Fields (showed promise last year, but in minors), Lumsden (bust, injuries), and Gio Gonzalez (very good, but traded away-twice)

2005- Broadway (low K/9 pitcher doing OK in AAA)

2006- McCullough (bust, not really talented)

2007- Poreda (jury still out)

The Sox's drafts since 1999 are the reason why they aren't consistently winning the AL Central, especially given their payroll.

Other than 2004, when the Sox picked Fields and Gio Gonzalez, they haven't been able to figure out who the top shelf talent is. So, no, I don't feel any great loss over a supplemental first round pick given up by trading Cabrera away mid-season.

the 2004 draft netted the White Sox, in part, Gavin Floyd, Jim Thome, and Nick Swisher (along with a couple other players switching jerseys along the way too). Josh Fields looks like either a good trade piece or the starting 3Bman next year, and while it's an empty ERA, Lumsden has put up a good ERA in AAA this year. 2004, the year where the Sox just so happened to have compensatory picks, is probably far and away the best draft the Sox have had in the past 10 years. Not that that should be surprising or anything.

It's also funny that you mentioned 1999 but failed to mentioned 1998...the Sox drafted Kip Wells with the 16th pick - he's still bouncing around the league and has had success at the MLB level, though appears to be washed up at this point. And then they took some dude named Aaron Rowand as a sandwich pick at 35. He's only like the second coming, according to some around here.

Getting extra draft picks is good and increases your odds of attaining supreme talent, which is one of the reasons the Brewers were just fine with letting go of LaPorta for Sabathia.