Trade Winds Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
How about the Twins' first round picks since 1999:

2000 - Aaron Heilman (solid swing man)

June 3, 1997: Drafted by the New York Yankees in the 55th round of the 1997 amateur draft, but did not sign.

June 5, 2000: Drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 1st round (31st pick) of the 2000 amateur draft, but did not sign.

June 5, 2001: Drafted by the New York Mets in the 1st round (18th pick) of the 2001 amateur draft. Player signed July 17, 2001.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
Look at how high the Twins picks were compared to where the Sox/Cards were picking. Really aside from Mauer and Garza (still unproven), you are talking about a pretty mediorce job as well. In fact, given how good the Twins farm system has been, I think this goes to show that its not necessraily the first round that you have to hit but the overall draft.

That's exactly right. Or how about another team that Soxtalk seems enamored with...the Indians. Since 1999 they have had 18 first round picks...and not a single one has made an impact...vitually ANY impact in the majors. OR Kansas City who picks in the top ten every year...17 picks since 1999...and Greinke is the top pitcher and not one hitter with a career OPS over .750. The point is not that the Sox are horrible at picking in the first round...the point is the Baseball draft is far more unpredictible than football or basketball...ouside of MAYBE the top 5 picks...its a crap shoot.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07..._the_radar.html

Bay Still on Radar

The Braves scored 27 runs during this past weekend's series in Philadelphia and won just once. Things certainly might have been different had they had Chipper Jones and Jason Bay in their lineup.

Jones was sidelined by a strained left hamstring and Bay was stuck in Pittsburgh because Pirates ownership was reluctant to move him.

Before the start of Friday's game, many of the Braves players were asking about Bay. Some were under the impression that they were going to walk into the clubhouse that day and find him to be their newest teammate.

But a proposed deal, which would have brought Bay to Atlanta in exchange for four Minor Leaguers, was killed when presented to the Pirates owners for approval.

Still as the week progresses, the Braves will continue to pursue Bay, who is set to earn $7.5 million during the final year of his contract next year.

The Pirates would have a definite interest in shortstop Brent Lillibridge, who they developed before trading him to the Braves in exchange for Adam LaRoche last year.

In addition, they'd likely ask for Brandon Jones, who would be considered a Major League-ready outfielder. He hit .278 (15-for-54) with seven extra-base hits, including a homer, in 16 games with Atlanta earlier this year.

To complete the deal the Braves would likely also have to include one of their talented young pitchers from the Class A level and another marginal position player.

-- Mark Bowman

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/794075.html

Latest trade talk

A major league source said the Rangers have inquired about Royals right-hander Zack Greinke, who is 8-7 with a 3.98 ERA and would command top prospects in return.

The Rangers have also asked about two other pitchers: the Twins’ Boof Bonser and the White Sox’s Nick Masset, a former Rangers prospect, according to a source. Trading Bonser would allow the Twins to call up Francisco Liriano.

Consider Hank Blalock off the block now that he has landed on the disabled list. The Rangers had to inform two teams about the injury, and a source said one of them was the Giants.

The Giants could become another team interested in catcher Gerald Laird, but only if they trade Bengie Molina to Florida.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
Is there a chance we will wake up to a trade? What time is deadline? Does the deal have to be announced by deadline? Just trying to figure out how that works...

Deadline I believe is 3 central, I could be wrong but I thought thats what it usually is. If teams call the MLB offices they may be granted with extra time to finish all necessary needs of a close to be done trade. Will we wake up to one? Well what time do you wake up? I would say No unless you wake up after the deadline

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
Deadline I believe is 3 central, I could be wrong but I thought thats what it usually is. If teams call the MLB offices they may be granted with extra time to finish all necessary needs of a close to be done trade. Will we wake up to one? Well what time do you wake up? I would say No unless you wake up after the deadline

6AM buddy. I still don't think Kenny can pull anything off, no matter how much he wants to.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
Cubs might have guaranteed a WS appearance with the trade for Harden. He has been lights out.

He is always lights out for 5 innings, then they take him out and rely on the bullpen. Thats when it gets scary having him on the team

So where are we now....

The Griffey deal hasn't been made official yet.

The Manny deal hasn't happened yet.

Bay to the Rays is apparently a no go.

The hesitation on the Griffey deal is starting to raise a flag with me. Probably will go through, but starting to wonder what the hold up is.

It's now :30 past the deadline. Perhaps much ado about, well, a little?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
The only thing I haven't seen final is the money that is changing hands. I have seen 4 million but also 1 million.

Griff is on the White Sox roster.

I haven't seen where Selig approved the deal, yet.

Cubs might have guaranteed a WS appearance with the trade for Harden. He has been lights out.

Yes, if he stays healthy their rotation is postseason worthy. It would have been something if we coulda somehow dusted off the Twins like they did the Brewers. Would have been amazing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)

Oh, really, so Harden pitches 6 no hit innings...but he's tired and Lou doesn't want him to break a fingernail or get a fissure in his asshole or get chapped lips, so he goes to the bullpen. Who's going to get to an overused and completely tired Marmol or already-been-on-the-DL-once Wood who is fully expected to go back there again? Bobby Howry? Samardzija, who's a rookie that pans out to be a setup guy? You realize someone has to work hard enough to get to these already overworked pitchers.

Yeah, I suppose if the Cubs can find a bullpen than can work 2 innings a game for Harden while getting outs, they could be on their way, but they also, you know, have to score runs and prevent the other team from scoring the game leading run late in the game...that's why you have a decent bullpen.

FWIW, I'd put the Cubs chances of reaching the playoffs as far better than the Sox reaching the playoffs, but the Sox chances of reaching the World Series as far greater than the Cubs. Even during a period where it's struggling, the Sox bullpen is so much better and so much deeper than the Cubs that it's absolutely hilarious...Kerry Wood would be a middle reliever for the White Sox bullpen, and that's if he stayed healthy enough to do so. As is, Octavio Dotel is moving up a spot because injuries put him there...otherwise, he's pitching out of place, and he's a setup guy (or more) on probably 25 of 30 teams but a 6th/7th inning guy on the Sox - a situational/middle reliever on the White Sox, outside of Linebrink's latest injury stint. The Sox bullpen could actually be the most talented in the majors, but I don't think a veteran figure would hurt, and I think the Masset trade had something to do with that.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle writes of "rumblings that several teams had put in waiver claims on A's closer Huston Street." A's assistant GM David Forst wouldn't comment specifically, but it is believed the team is unlikely to move Street this month. The A's would have to receive prospects not on a team's 40-man roster, or else somehow convince the Royals, Indians, and Mariners not to claim their return package.

Street, 25, has a 4.20 ERA in 49.1 innings this year. His strikeout rate is down, while walks and home runs are up. Plus, his average fastball velocity has slipped below 90 mph. Street dealt with a groin strain in June.

The A's talked about an extension with Street in March, which would've covered his last two arbitration years and perhaps his first of free agency. Street will earn a raise from his current $3.3MM for his '09 salary.

Edited by EvilJester99

Wonder if the Sox would still be interested...

The Royals DFA'd Yasuhiko Yabuta. The White Sox had tried to sign the Japanese reliever last winter but were unsuccessful. Yabuta was 1-3 with a 5.46 ERA and had signed a two-year, $6MM deal with Kansas City.

Wasn't there a big fanboy collection at Soxtalk wanting that guy? Just like Wily Mo Pena and Lastings Milledge.