Trade Winds Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
the 2004 draft netted the White Sox, in part, Gavin Floyd, Jim Thome, and Nick Swisher (along with a couple other players switching jerseys along the way too). Josh Fields looks like either a good trade piece or the starting 3Bman next year, and while it's an empty ERA, Lumsden has put up a good ERA in AAA this year. 2004, the year where the Sox just so happened to have compensatory picks, is probably far and away the best draft the Sox have had in the past 10 years. Not that that should be surprising or anything.

It's also funny that you mentioned 1999 but failed to mentioned 1998...the Sox drafted Kip Wells with the 16th pick - he's still bouncing around the league and has had success at the MLB level, though appears to be washed up at this point. And then they took some dude named Aaron Rowand as a sandwich pick at 35. He's only like the second coming, according to some around here.

Getting extra draft picks is good and increases your odds of attaining supreme talent, which is one of the reasons the Brewers were just fine with letting go of LaPorta for Sabathia.

I started at 1999 b/c it was the year where the Sox had a ton of supplemental picks. And Kip Wells netted the Sox Todd Ritchie in probably Kenny Williams' worst deal.

The 2004 draft was a real exception out of the last 10 years of the Sox drafting...not a rule by any imagination. Blind squirrels and nuts and all.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 06:48 PM)
I started at 1999 b/c it was the year where the Sox had a ton of supplemental picks. And Kip Wells netted the Sox Todd Ritchie in probably Kenny Williams' worst deal.

The 2004 draft was a real exception out of the last 10 years of the Sox drafting...not a rule by any imagination. Blind squirrels and nuts and all.

Cardinals 1st round drafts:

1999 Chance Caple: Nothing

1999 Nick Stocks: Nothing

1999: Chris Duncan: M'eh

2000: Blake Williams: nothing

2000 Shaun Boyd: noothing

2001: Justin Pope

2002: No pick

2003: Daric Barton: junk

2004: Christopher Lambert: nothing

2005: Tyler Herron: nothing

2005 Mark McCormick: nothing

2005 James Green

2006: Christopher Perez

(albert Pujols 1999 13th round)

There are lots of ways of acquiring talent. To say, "bad drafting in the first round= bad team" is crazy. Its certainly not an ADVANTAGE but neither is it a hopeless obsticle. Having a sharp GM that can trade unproven talent for real talent is one way around the drafting problem. Way too much focus is given on the 1st round of MLB amateur draft.

I'll disagree with Daric Barton but agree completely with the premise that 1st round picks are not the only way to acquire talent. Carlos Quentin was acquired this offseason for a 15th rounder.

I also think this year is going to be a funny deadline for the Sox. I see KW making atleast one move, because he doesn't seem to be able to not make atleast one, but I see it as either very slow in terms of moves or the Sox being the busiest team in all of baseball and absolutely no in-between. And you won't hear any of it mentioned to the press until after it's been completed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
I'll disagree with Daric Barton but agree completely with the premise that 1st round picks are not the only way to acquire talent. Carlos Quentin was acquired this offseason for a 15th rounder.

I also think this year is going to be a funny deadline for the Sox. I see KW making atleast one move, because he doesn't seem to be able to not make atleast one, but I see it as either very slow in terms of moves or the Sox being the busiest team in all of baseball and absolutely no in-between. And you won't hear any of it mentioned to the press until after it's been completed.

OK...let's say this on Barton...too early to tell. He's really young...which is in his favor. But he's hand as much of a chance as Brian Anderson and his 08 looks a lot like BA's 06...without BA ++ defense at a key position. If I was KC or Pittsburgh I would try to get guys like Barton or Anderson who showed great promise but failed in their first 300 big league at bats. Sort of like what's happened with Gavin Floyd. Initial failure doesn't necessarily mean AAAA. As for Kenny...he is the most entertaining GM. I suspect your right...when everyone says he won't do anything will be when he packages Konerko, Dotel and OC in a blockbuster with the Dodgers or Diamondbacks.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)

Technically speaking Ron Schueler has always took the blame for the Ritchie deal. I still say that Kenny was the GM though. Man did I lamblast that deal at the time (I really liked the Kipster).

I have zero interest in acquiring Washburn. He could give you some innings, but he throws way too many pitches and never goes deep into games. I don't see him as much of an upgrade over Count. Again, I could live with it as long as the Sox don't give up anything good, but in on way would Washburn really be much, if at all of an upgrade to the rotation.

Latest from MLBTradeRumors:

* The Tigers are 5.5 games out, but are still on the fence about buying or selling.

* Carroll says there's "much more substance to rumors of the White Sox going after Justin Duchscherer" as compared to the one about the A's pursuing Jason Bay.

* The Phillies could jump back in on A.J. Burnett if the price comes down. Also - could Burnett clear waivers in August?

* The Rockies' demands for Brian Fuentes might be holding up the relief market.

* Regarding Raul Ibanez, the Mariners either want to tack Jose Vidro on in a deal or get back premium prospects.

* The White Sox have become aggressive, and apparently had failed talks about Orlando Cabrera with the Red Sox. Josh Fields is not considered untouchable.

all this is taken off of Will Carroll from Baseball Prospectus I believe.

Edited by nitetrain8601

I like Cabrera because he's a generally good hitter and is a player you really don't like seeing at the plate or on the basepaths; that said he's not a dangerous hitter by any means and he doesn't do a damn thing better than any other player in the league other than be a pain in the ass to everyone in the Sox clubhouse and everyone else's. He's generally overrated around the league, he doesn't appear to be well liked in the clubhouse, and even considering his overratedness, his value is higher than it normally would be because he's likely to net 2 first round picks (though I believe I've been over-inflating how much more valuable that really is).

The only way I think you deal him though is if you get a big upgrade at 2B; to me, that's basically Brian Roberts or Orlando Hudson or you don't deal him. Or I suppose if you could find an upgrade at SS, but that'd just be silly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 01:23 AM)
I like Cabrera because he's a generally good hitter and is a player you really don't like seeing at the plate or on the basepaths; that said he's not a dangerous hitter by any means

I'll give him this - he gets runners in from third with less than two outs. Something everyone else on the Sox seems to fail at miserably - especially JD.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
oh, and can we please 86 the term "under the radar"? I've grown so goddamn sick and tired of that word over the past 5 years, and every time I hear it, I just want to shatter a beer bottle over my head.

How in the hell do you expect KW to find more grinders if he isn't operating under the radar?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
oh, and can we please 86 the term "under the radar"? I've grown so goddamn sick and tired of that word over the past 5 years, and every time I hear it, I just want to shatter a beer bottle over my head.

Would you put it on youtube?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...f=si_topstories

Dodgers unable to pull the trigger

Story Highlights

* Front office discord isn't helping the Dodgers move forward in trade talks

* Braves can't decide to buy or sell, which affects the Teixeira sweepstakes

* Several closers are available, but the price could be steep at the deadline

Decrease font Decrease font

Enlarge font Enlarge font

Missing in action: Back problems have limited Rafael Furcal to just 32 games this season.

Missing in action: Back problems have limited Rafael Furcal to just 32 games this season.

AP

ADVERTISEMENT

The Dodgers are diving into the middle of a lot of trade talks, but skepticism remains steep about whether they'll actually pull anything off. "They're a mess,'' one NL executive says, flatly.

Several baseball people say there was a deal for the Dodgers either "in place'' for CC Sabathia -- or close to it -- when they suddenly pulled the plug, apparently at the behest of over-involved owner Frank McCourt. Big mistake, as Sabathia, 4-0 already with three consecutive complete games, appears bent on leading the Brew Crew into the playoffs for the first time in 26 years.

Word is the Dodgers, who could still steal the sad-sack NL West (at 49-52, they trail first-place Arizona by one game), are handicapped by some infighting within the front office. Logan White, who drafted much of the young Dodgers talent, is said by some to have unusual say-so for a recently-promoted assistant GM. Meanwhile, McCourt is telling confidants that he is displeased by the team's attendance and revenues, calling into question whether he'd even OK player expenditures.

Lately the Dodgers have been talking to several teams about a shortstop. The loss of Rafael Furcal has been "a killer'' for them, in the words of one AL executive, and they are seeking a veteran replacement along the lines of Jack Wilson, Orlando Cabrera or Edgar Renteria.

L.A. has been talking about bringing Cabrera back to that area, as first mentioned on Foxsports.com, and there would appear to be plenty of chance there for a deal since the White Sox are a rare team that's deep at shortstop -- if the Dodgers are capable of pulling a deal off, that is.

Cuban import Alexei Ramirez, who's showing some confused footwork at second base, is thought ready to man shortstop, giving the Sox unusual flexibility at a difficult position. It is believed the White Sox are targeting one or more of the talented Dodgers kids.

But the Dodgers, who at one time also showed interest in Sox third baseman Joe Crede, have been taking a hands-off approach on most of their prospects -- if not all of them. One executive who recently spoke to the Dodgers got the impression that not only are top young players like James Loney and Matt Kemp untouchable, but so are somewhat lesser talents such as Blake Dewitt and even Andy LaRoche, whose stock has been falling for many months in the eyes of some.

Word also has gotten around that the Dodgers have taken calls on free-agent-to-be Derek Lowe. However, a trade involving a standout pitcher like Lowe would likely leave them with a major rotation hole.

The reported talk of a trade that would bring Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano for Lowe and top young outfielder Kemp was shot down by those in the know. While some Dodgers people think Kemp still has some maturing to do, until further notice, I remain doubtful the Dodgers could execute a small deal, much less something that big.

Braves' new world: They're split on selling

There is believed to be something of a split among key Braves decision-makers about whether to buy or sell. And the big holdout in favor of going for it is -- no surprise -- manager Bobby Cox, who is likely in his penultimate season in the manager's chair.

Cox has been known to extend an argument -- no kidding, he holds the major league record for lifetime ejections -- but the guess here is that logic will eventually prevail. It is thought that legendary front-office fixture John Schuerholz and his replacement as GM Frank Wren will understand before the July 31 deadline that this just isn't the Braves' year.

Chipper Jones (hamstring) and Tim Hudson (elbow) joined an ever-expanding roster of Braves stars in sick bay. While Jones may only miss the weekend and the club is being cautiously optimistic regarding Hudson, there's still the reality that John Smoltz is out for the year, Tom Glavine is still days away from rehab and Mike Hampton is a longshot to become a contributor (they'll probably throw him into a game soon, but who can have faith at this point?).

All that being said, it would make little sense to hold onto start first baseman Mark Teixeira, or for that matter relievers Will Ohman and Mike Gonzalez.

The Braves have checked in with the Red Sox regarding Teixeira. But with David Ortiz looking great in rehab play and on the way back Friday vs. the rival Yankees, that would appear to be a long shot.

That could leave the Angels, Diamondbacks and Yankees as potential players to rent Teixeira. The Angels are playing about as well as anyone now despite having a lineup that may not produce even one 100-RBI man or 25-home run hitter, and their conservative bent may lead them to stand pat. The Yankees would prefer a right-handed hitting outfielder, and Jorge Posada's decision to forego surgery in the short-term could possibly lessen the Yankees' chances to play for Teixeira.

The D'backs, who pursued Teixeira a year ago, might actually be the favorite should he become available. Heaven knows, they could use the offense.

Rollins' head size growing

I have always been a big fan of Jimmy Rollins. But people around the Phillies sense a change in Rollins since winning the NL MVP award. Manager Charlie Manuel benched Rollins against the rival Mets for arriving too late Thursday (but before the game). Rollins disagreed with Manuel with this benching, as opposed to an earlier one for failing run out a ball. In any case, this isn't the Rollins I remember.

Scouts are following around Orioles closer George Sherrill like paparazzi follow Brangelina, a reflection of the need for relief by contenders. At least four relievers with closing capabilities -- Sherrill plus Damaso Marte, Brian Fuentes and Huston Street -- are possibly available at what is said to be steep prices.

The Brewers, who are riding an eight-game winning streak and are living up their promise to pursue trades aggressively, are believed to be looking at Sherrill. It appears that so are the Cardinals, whose bullpen was left somewhat bare by the mere fact they've ingeniously turned a few of their best relievers into effective starters.

Meanwhile, several interested teams are complaining vociferously about the asking prices for relievers. Teams generally don't want to mortgage their future by trading top prospects for relief rentals -- though not all requests are as outlandish as some.

It is believed the Mets could nab Fuentes if they were willing to part with the talented but frustrating Aaron Heilman. Says one scout, "Fuentes is throwing really great. He'd help someone, if the Rockies trade him.''

But Colorado, still only six games out in the pathetic NL West, may still decide to hold onto Fuentes, though. "If they trade him, that means they're out of it,'' the scout surmised.

Marte is an interesting case since he has a $6 million option for 2009, something the Pirates want no part of. However, there are those who think Pittsburgh may also be motivated by wanting to finish at .500 for the first time since Barry Bonds left town, and if that's true, their enthusiasm for a deal may be compromised. Marte has been lights-out lately, so he's on everyone's radar.

Street is seen as being tough and gutsy, but recent gun readings below 90 mph have discouraged a few teams. A's GM Billy Beane already has unloaded Rich Harden and Joe Blanton, so it still makes sense for Street to go even if he isn't throwing his best. The Dodgers (plus the Mets, White Sox and Brewers) have checked in on Street. But then again, we know about the Dodgers.

Several more set-up men spice up one of the more interesting relief markets in years, including possibly Ron Mahay, David Weathers, Chad Bradford, Jamie Walker, Cla Meredith, Eddie Guardado, Will Ohman, Mike Gonzalez, Scott Downs, and Arthur Rhodes.

Around the majors

• The Rays still don't like the asking price on Xavier Nady and appear to be turning toward the versatile Casey Blake.

• The D'backs and Mets are in on Raul Ibanez.

• The Yankees are the most serious player for Jarrod Washburn and would take him as a salary dump (his 2009 pay will be $10.35 million). But Seattle is asking now for Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner, a non-starter for the Yankees.

• The Yankees also are considering Cincinnati's Bronson Arroyo. But Toronto apparently has led the Yankees to believe they either won't trade A.J. Burnett, or at least won't trade him within the division.

• The Yankees discussed Bonds at their Thursday meeting in Tampa. But the possibility of signing Bonds is said to remain "highly unlikely.''

• The Reds are seeking a top prospect for Adam Dunn. But so far, no one seems to be biting at that price.

• The Cubs appear to only need relief, exacerbated by Kerry Wood returning to the disabled list Thursday.

• A new reliever name that could be in the mix is the Toronto left-hander Downs, whose interest by the Mets was mentioned by Joe DeMayo of nybaseballdigest.com.

• The Mets do not want to trade Fernando Martinez or left-handed pitcher Jon Niese, who are as close to untouchable as anyone in their system. Martinez hobbled out of a game for Doule-A Binghamton on Thursday but was said by the Mets to have only suffered a cramp in the hamstring area, not a recurrence of hamstring issues.

• A Giants person said don't bother calling about their big three. That's Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain and Jonathan Sanchez.

• The White Sox, with their plethora of shortstops, have talked to the Red Sox about sending them Juan Uribe, who's been on the trade block since winter, for Alex Cora. Cora's brother Joey is a well-respected coach with the White Sox. CBSsports.com first reported this possibility.

• The Padres started their dumping process by trading Randy Wolf to the Astros (who aren't in the race, they just think they are), and could be interested in several more deals, perhaps for Meredith, Greg Maddux (who has a no-trade clause) and Brian Giles. Some baseball people wouldn't be shocked if the Padres thought about trading shortstop Khalil Greene (down to .215 this year), as well. A couple baseball execs said they believe San Diego has soured some on Greene.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
Cardinals 1st round drafts:

1999 Chance Caple: Nothing

1999 Nick Stocks: Nothing

1999: Chris Duncan: M'eh

2000: Blake Williams: nothing

2000 Shaun Boyd: noothing

2001: Justin Pope

2002: No pick

2003: Daric Barton: junk

2004: Christopher Lambert: nothing

2005: Tyler Herron: nothing

2005 Mark McCormick: nothing

2005 James Green

2006: Christopher Perez

(albert Pujols 1999 13th round)

There are lots of ways of acquiring talent. To say, "bad drafting in the first round= bad team" is crazy. Its certainly not an ADVANTAGE but neither is it a hopeless obsticle. Having a sharp GM that can trade unproven talent for real talent is one way around the drafting problem. Way too much focus is given on the 1st round of MLB amateur draft.

Ummm....so the Cardinals' drafts are sucky as well?

How about the Twins' first round picks since 1999:

1999 - BJ Garbe (bust)

2000 - Aaron Heilman (solid swing man)

2000s - Adam Johnson (bust)

2001 - Joe Mauer - HOF potential

2002 - Denard Span - solid production thus far this season.

2003 - Matthew Moses - (bust)

2004s - Jay Rainville (HS pitcher, still an OK prospect)

2004s - Matthew Fox (bust)

2004s - Kyle Waldrop (HS pitcher, marginal prospect)

2004 - Glen Perkins - solid mid/back-end rotation starter

2004 - Trevor Plouffe - marginal prospect / bust

2005 - Matt Garza - great prospect, flipped for 1/1 pick Delmon Young.

2005s - Henry Sanchez - bust

2006 - Chris Parmalee - solid prospect / OBP star

2007 - Ben Revere - hitting .400 as 20 year old in Midwest league...33 SB

Four major league regulars + two stud prospects...pretty solid in comparison.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Ummm....so the Cardinals' drafts are sucky as well?

How about the Twins' first round picks since 1999:

1999 - BJ Garbe (bust)

2000 - Aaron Heilman (solid swing man)

2000s - Adam Johnson (bust)

2001 - Joe Mauer - HOF potential

2002 - Denard Span - solid production thus far this season.

2003 - Matthew Moses - (bust)

2004s - Jay Rainville (HS pitcher, still an OK prospect)

2004s - Matthew Fox (bust)

2004s - Kyle Waldrop (HS pitcher, marginal prospect)

2004 - Glen Perkins - solid mid/back-end rotation starter

2004 - Trevor Plouffe - marginal prospect / bust

2005 - Matt Garza - great prospect, flipped for 1/1 pick Delmon Young.

2005s - Henry Sanchez - bust

2006 - Chris Parmalee - solid prospect / OBP star

2007 - Ben Revere - hitting .400 as 20 year old in Midwest league...33 SB

Four major league regulars + two stud prospects...pretty solid in comparison.

Look at how high the Twins picks were compared to where the Sox/Cards were picking. Really aside from Mauer and Garza (still unproven), you are talking about a pretty mediorce job as well. In fact, given how good the Twins farm system has been, I think this goes to show that its not necessraily the first round that you have to hit but the overall draft.