Sox prospect selected for US Olympic Team

scenario

Took them a while to finally announce the roster. I know it was decided the night of the Futures Game. The fact that Richard is included means that the White Sox didn't protect him under the assumption that they would have some thought of using him on the major league roster anytime soon.

Some pretty rock solid guys on the roster, which is nice to see

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
The Olympics are from the 8th through the 24th of August.

I doubt the Sox have plans for any of our minor league players that would get screwed up by being gone for 16 days in August.

Well, you might not plan for it...but you don't want to have your first backup option gone the day before someone does get hurt. Right now, Getz is a pretty likely callup candidate if anything happens to any of our middle infielders.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
I would think Richar instead of Getz, no matter what his numbers are in Charlotte. He's already been here, and his performance was acceptable.

I would disagree. Getz plays close to gold-glove caliber at second base, but as well can play SS, OF and even third in a pinch not great but at an okay level. Getz is much more versatile than Richar and playing much better with better walk numbers. Because of his versatility, I believe Getz goes ahead of Richar especially because Richar may not be 100% recovered from his injury.

I would imagine that if the Sox needed a short-term middle infielder or if Uribe went down with any injury, Getz would get the callup...if it were a long-term thing to either Alexei or Cabrera, Richar would be called up. Maybe that's wrong though.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
Just on Getz vs. Richar, if there was an opening at 2nd base next season, who would you rather start b/w these 2?

This isn't to slight Richar, but at a middle infield spot, i would prefer the guy with substance over style. Getz is not flashy at all, but he makes all the plays in the field, has speed and always runs hard (watch future's game). He is a smart guy who is just a baseball rat. For all the talent we have had in a White Sox uniform, I can only think of a couple true "baseball rats" we've had: Rowand and Gload (and that may be a stretch). I think Richar has got the world of potential, but I don't think he'll ever reach it. meanwhile Getz is gonna be a solid regular for years to come, a great teammates and you would hope his teammates would feed off his hard-working style.

My decision would be to turn it over to Richar.

I just get the feeling with Getz, he may end up being nothing more than an "Aaron Miles" type of player, or even a poor man's David Eckstein who plays at 2B.

To me, he'll be a fine utlity man for this team in years to come, and he'll take over the Ozuna / Uribe role from next season, but that Richar has the potential to produce 15-20HR's and get to around an .800 OPS if he was given the opportunity. That maybe way too optimistic of me, but I'd like to see him be given the chance to do so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
I would imagine that if the Sox needed a short-term middle infielder or if Uribe went down with any injury, Getz would get the callup...if it were a long-term thing to either Alexei or Cabrera, Richar would be called up. Maybe that's wrong though.

Ya, I feel the same way.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
Just on Getz vs. Richar, if there was an opening at 2nd base next season, who would you rather start b/w these 2?

If Danny stays healthy and keeps hitting like he has been for the last month or so, then Richar.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)

Jason Bourgeois has re-emerged on the utility-man screen too.

He's up over .300 on the year now and has been absolutely unconscious in the last 6 or so weeks. (Batted .393 in June; batting .348 so far in July.)

Nice thing about that is that it gives us some choices and depth in case of injury... something we didn't have last year.

Edited by scenario

the other thing with Getz is that it just seems as though he's an Aaron Miles clone...not that there's anything wrong with Aaron Miles, it's just that he's better suited to be a backup player than a starter at 2B next year. Richar has the potential to atleast be about a league average 2Bman.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
the other thing with Getz is that it just seems as though he's an Aaron Miles clone.

Sort of... only with better speed (Getz is fast) and a higher OBP (on his career, Getz has more walks than strikeouts).

Speed, OBP, and his ability to play CF as well as 3 infield positions... I think those three factors could be the keys to his success at the next level.

That doesn't guarantee he'll have success as a starter, but he's got skills that should keep him around in the majors.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
the other thing with Getz is that it just seems as though he's an Aaron Miles clone...not that there's anything wrong with Aaron Miles, it's just that he's better suited to be a backup player than a starter at 2B next year. Richar has the potential to atleast be about a league average 2Bman.

I don't think you can compare the two. Getz can actually play SS and 3B (not the greatest arm, but it is strong enough to backup at both of those spots) plus he can play the OF. He is also a lot faster and has more pop (not a lot more) but bottom line he has a better skill-set than that of Aaron Miles.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
I don't think you can compare the two. Getz can actually play SS and 3B (not the greatest arm, but it is strong enough to backup at both of those spots) plus he can play the OF. He is also a lot faster and has more pop (not a lot more) but bottom line he has a better skill-set than that of Aaron Miles.

Miles can play SS and 2B...95 career games and and about 700 innings at SS at the major league level. He's not a starter there, but neither is Getz. Miles can also play an emergency 3B, having played 14 games/95 innings there are the MLB level, though he's much more of a utility middle infielder. I also haven't seen anything in the numbers that suggest Getz is that much faster, but the numbers deceive the eye a lot of times when it comes to that.

It's nothing against Getz or Miles, as both are serviceable MLB players and Getz seems like a potential starting player some day if everything pans out...but all the numbers and measurables compare favorably to Aaron Miles. He's doing it at a younger age and he has a noteworthy height advantage on Miles (Miles at 5'7, Getz at 6'0), but I'd either like to see Getz in person, do it at the major league level, or go back to AAA next year and improve upon his numbers.