Schnur released...

JPN366

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:49 AM)
Son of a b****... I always liked Schnur. I had big hopes for the guy when we took him out of high school in Nevada.

Hell of a guy too. He gave me one of his fielding gloves in 2006 just because I always showed up to support the team. He's been my favorite player since, as you can see...

It does suck...I liked Schnur. It's hard to argue with the decision though...he's a 24 year old 1B/3B who hasn't hit a lick this season, and there are players below him who deserve a shot. It was a put up or shut up season for Schnur, and he was quiet all year.

Valido is 23, has drawn rave reviews from Ozzie in the past, and plays middle infield...there are differences between the two, but I'd be quite surprised if Valido is in the organization come this time next year though too.

I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up...from everything that's been mentioned of him, he seems like a hell of a guy. Hopefully someone can help him figure it out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
It does suck...I liked Schnur. It's hard to argue with the decision though...he's a 24 year old 1B/3B who hasn't hit a lick this season, and there are players below him who deserve a shot. It was a put up or shut up season for Schnur, and he was quiet all year.

Valido is 23, has drawn rave reviews from Ozzie in the past, and plays middle infield...there are differences between the two, but I'd be quite surprised if Valido is in the organization come this time next year though too.

I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up...from everything that's been mentioned of him, he seems like a hell of a guy. Hopefully someone can help him figure it out.

True, but to release him 2 days before his birthday, c'mon. In Valido's case, he can't field, throw, or hit. Plus, he has a terrible attitude.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:34 AM)

That's pretty much exactly how I feel as well. He's been in the org now for a while and hasnt produced much in th elast couple years. Also, drawing comparisons to Valido arent good b/c they play two different positions. It does kinda suck though that he was released just prior to his birthday as JPN said. Gotta wonder if this was done to promote someone possibly?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:27 AM)
True, but to release him 2 days before his birthday, c'mon. In Valido's case, he can't field, throw, or hit. Plus, he has a terrible attitude.

Sounds like the guy is just holding a space until someone like Beckham or one of the others gets to Alabama. I don't think it will be long.

Shame for Schnur, been following him quite a bit over the past 3-4 seasons.

Hopefully he catches on somewhere and starts to hit.

Didn't someone say he was a better prospect than Josh Fields back in the day? :lol:

Its too bad, I was a guy that really believed in Schnur. He had a little bit of a long swing but hit the ball hard and absolutely raked early on in his career. Very good guy too, one of the better interviews I've ever done and just an all around good guy. I wish him nothing but the very best of luck in the future.

Alos, I probably was the person who at one point in time said he had a shot at being better than Fields (although I think I also long stated Fields had more "raw" tools). But we know I've never been as high on Fields (or Anderson during his ascent through the minors) as most experts have.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 07:39 AM)
That's pretty much exactly how I feel as well. He's been in the org now for a while and hasnt produced much in th elast couple years. Also, drawing comparisons to Valido arent good b/c they play two different positions. It does kinda suck though that he was released just prior to his birthday as JPN said. Gotta wonder if this was done to promote someone possibly?

If you guys had watched them both play over the past three seasons, you'd agree with me that Valido should go before anyone else. Schnurstein led the Southern League in fielding percentage for first basemen and Valido has 20 errors. 20 boneheaded errors, and that's not being partial or spiteful. That's just the ugly truth about Valido. It just seems a little on the harsh side. I know it's a business, but you don't go that cold on a guy who grew up a diehard White Sox fan and hold onto a pitiful clown who nobody wanted in the Rule 5 draft last December. They should have just demoted him and promoted Brandon Allen or C.J. Retherford. W-S is making a playoff push in the second half and Micah could have helped down there.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
They should have just demoted him and promoted Brandon Allen or C.J. Retherford. W-S is making a playoff push in the second half and Micah could have helped down there.

Good point. That would have made alot of sense. I would have flipped places with him and Allen.

I really like CJ but I'd like to see him get a whole year in W-S before moving up.

He jumped a level to get here and his OBP is suffering for it.

I'd like to see him have a second half in W-S and then move up to Birmingham next year with a strong finish under his belt.

Brandon's BA has dropped into the .270's but his batting eye seems to have improved significantly. He's got a .370 OBP and he's right around a .900 OPS. It would be very interesting to see how he'd do if he moved up a level.

And flipping those two guys (Allen and Schnur) would have been a swap of two guys playing the same position. So why didn't it happen? Makes too much sense.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Good point.

That would have made alot of sense.

He obviously can hit in the Carolina League as we know. Anyway, according to the Barons broadcasters, significant and "exciting" roster moves are coming today. They couldn't talk about them last night.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
Anyway, according to the Barons broadcasters, significant and "exciting" roster moves are coming today. They couldn't talk about them last night.

Ohh man... Now you've got me hooked.

It's going to be interesting to see what they mean by 'significant and exciting' roster moves.

More than Loiza making a rehab start there tonight I hope. :P

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
If you guys had watched them both play over the past three seasons, you'd agree with me that Valido should go before anyone else. Schnurstein led the Southern League in fielding percentage for first basemen and Valido has 20 errors. 20 boneheaded errors, and that's not being partial or spiteful. That's just the ugly truth about Valido. It just seems a little on the harsh side. I know it's a business, but you don't go that cold on a guy who grew up a diehard White Sox fan and hold onto a pitiful clown who nobody wanted in the Rule 5 draft last December. They should have just demoted him and promoted Brandon Allen or C.J. Retherford. W-S is making a playoff push in the second half and Micah could have helped down there.

Valido should have been gone a long time ago because of his production. When you also factor in the facts that a few of us with close contacts win the org have informed us about Valido (I won't go any farther than that as I refuse to put the exact details out there, but if someone looks back at his past they can probably read between the lines).

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
He obviously can hit in the Carolina League as we know. Anyway, according to the Barons broadcasters, significant and "exciting" roster moves are coming today. They couldn't talk about them last night.

I wonder just how aggressive they get with Beckham. I can't imagine they would push sign him and send him to AA immediatel, but I can't see who from Winston Salem would be considered exciting. Unless someone from Charlotte is coming down or if the Sox are going to sign someone like Garcia and have him and Elo join the AA roster.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Brandon Allen promoted to the Barons.

Got the official word from the Barons GM on Micah. He was offered a demotion to W-S, he refused it and was released. So, at least he had a choice in the matter. Javier Colina was promoted to Charlotte, Javier Castillo and Carlos Torres were sent back to B'ham.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Anyone know what the deal is with Freddie Thon? MiLB.com lists him as on Bakersfield, but the W-S box score from tonight's game shows him playing for the Warthogs. ???

Signed him out of independent ball, The Joliet Jackhammers. He was with Bakersfield last year. Since Schnurstein refused his demotion, W-S needed another first baseman.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
Valido should have been gone a long time ago because of his production. When you also factor in the facts that a few of us with close contacts win the org have informed us about Valido (I won't go any farther than that as I refuse to put the exact details out there, but if someone looks back at his past they can probably read between the lines).

Wasnt Valido busted for PED's a few years back? Or am I thinking of someone else?

QUOTE (BamaJason @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
One day in last weeks games, I witnessed Valido overthrow from short to first and hit someone about 4 rows up. Thank goodness it was during pre-inning fielding instead of during game action. Either way, it was typical of him.

Be glad you haven't witnessed most of his errors this year. He's going to cost us a playoff game.