Ichiro on the block?

Brian

benmaller.com

During last month's news conference announcing the firing of general manager Bill Bavasi, Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln said he was open to trading anyone on the team. If that's the case, the Mariners should deal Ichiro Suzuki by the July 31 deadline. If I'm Lincoln, I'm telling interim GM Lee Pelekoudas to gauge the interest in his All-Star right fielder to see if he can get an ace and/or prospects in return. Nothing against Ichiro, but isn't it time to blow this thing up and start over? -- Seattle P-I

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
JC and BA won't do? :) Come on...BA is a king in Seattle. All he does it hit HRs over there.

Honestly if I were the M's I'd think it was smart to ask for BA as a throw in/4th piece in that deal...but yeah, you're talking Danks + Floyd + probably Poreda/Fields + BA for someone like Ichiro, and even then if someone else really pushed hard for him it'd be hard for our offer to beat theirs.

It will almost be impossible for a team in contention to aqcuire Ichiru. The Mariners would want young big lead ready starters and we all know pitching wins. If you look at the teams in contention, not one of them can afford to give up a front end starter in their rotation. I can actually see a team like the Giants make a run at Ichiru, if not now, than in the offseason. The Giants have Lincecum and Cain, two of the youngest best pitchers in baseball, im sure they would be fine to offer one of them in a package for Ichiru. The Sox simply CANT trade Danks or Floyd let alone both. I still would love a true leadoff hitter in place of the sluggish Pauly, but im guessing (unless we aqcuire another SP, we are what we are and maybe thats a good thing)

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
It will almost be impossible for a team in contention to aqcuire Ichiru. The Mariners would want young big lead ready starters and we all know pitching wins. If you look at the teams in contention, not one of them can afford to give up a front end starter in their rotation. I can actually see a team like the Giants make a run at Ichiru, if not now, than in the offseason. The Giants have Lincecum and Cain, two of the youngest best pitchers in baseball, im sure they would be fine to offer one of them in a package for Ichiru. The Sox simply CANT trade Danks or Floyd let alone both. I still would love a true leadoff hitter in place of the sluggish Pauly, but im guessing (unless we aqcuire another SP, we are what we are and maybe thats a good thing)

The M's would probably be happy to give you back Silva in that deal :lolhitting

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
I like the fact that I am able to say this, but I think some of us underestimate the value of Danks. Could you imagine how hyped he'd be if he were on the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs?

You'd probably have heard his name more than Joba's. But Even then...you're not getting Ichiro straight up for him. If I'm the Mariners...we start talking at Joba + Hughes + someone else if we're talking to the Yankees. Ellsbury + Lester + a couple other guys if it's the Red Sox. Etc.

Remember...from the position of the franchise out there...Ichiro isn't just their best, franchise player. He's also a huge economic draw. Yes his contract is big, but even if the team sucks he puts them on the map and puts people in their seats. To trade him they need to get a deal that makes them clearly better, whoever they're talking to.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
There is NO acquisition in major league baseball more perfect for this team than Ichiro Suzuki.

i agree....unfortunately we dont have the prospects to land him or the capspace....

it would take a package as big as the biggest ones weve seen lately...like what atlanta gave texas for teixeira or what the mets gave minny...maybe even more...and outside of dealing danks + Poreda + getz + richard, we dont have the pieces

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
You'd probably have heard his name more than Joba's. But Even then...you're not getting Ichiro straight up for him. If I'm the Mariners...we start talking at Joba + Hughes + someone else if we're talking to the Yankees. Ellsbury + Lester + a couple other guys if it's the Red Sox. Etc.

Remember...from the position of the franchise out there...Ichiro isn't just their best, franchise player. He's also a huge economic draw. Yes his contract is big, but even if the team sucks he puts them on the map and puts people in their seats. To trade him they need to get a deal that makes them clearly better, whoever they're talking to.

I'm not saying we could trade for him straight up for Ichiro (although to be quite honest, I think he is worth a trade for Joba straight up - Yankees fans and the general sports media probably don't think so thanks to the Joba hype). But a trade for Ichiro would involve a package of top prospects, which we don't have.

This is nothing new. It's just idol speculation from Ben Maller, every indication coming out of Seattle is that Ichiro is the one player who's off limits. In fact I read one article that said they'd definitely be keeping Ichiro around because the Mariners front office believes it will make them the front runners for Yu Darvish when he's finally posted (possibly this offseason), dealing away probably the most popular Japanese ballplayer ever just a few months after extending his contract would not look good.

Besides, even if he was somehow made available you would have to overpay by a great margin just to acquire him. Out of all the players available at the deadline he would be by far the most expensive to acquire in terms of talent relinquished.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
There is NO acquisition in major league baseball more perfect for this team than Ichiro Suzuki.

Are we talking about any player in baseball? If you are then I can think of a few players who would fit this team better than Ichiro Suzuki.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
Are we talking about any player in baseball? If you are then I can think of a few players who would fit this team better than Ichiro Suzuki.

I meant actually realistic and that could possibly be available. Obviously I'd love to put Hamilton in CF and Pujols at DH, etc.

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, three GMs who would have interest have been told by the Mariners that Ichiro Suzuki is not available. Ichiro, who has a limited no-trade clause, is owed $82 million over the next 4 1/2 years. He might be worth it as a center fielder, but he probably isn't if he wants to play right. There's a few teams that would likely be willing to take him on regardless. The Mariners, though, may decide it's not in their best interest to further antagonize their fanbase by trading their most popular player.

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/conten...amp;line=242422

I dunno, is a 103 OPS+ really worth $100 million?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
Floyd, Egbert, Shelby, Richard, Anderson, Fields.

Doable?

So of those players who's the super stud the Mariners get back in exchange for their franchise player? If they're going to trade away Ichiro they better get back at least one incredibly exciting talent. (think Carlos Gomez and then some)

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Floyd, Egbert, Shelby, Richard, Anderson, Fields.

Doable?

If I'm the Mariners...no, I don't do that deal (unless my scouts just adore Floyd...I wouldn't be sure what I'd get if I moved him again though if I were in their front office.) If I'm talking to the White Sox, I want one of Danks or Quentin as the centerpiece and I don't need to accept anything less.