Ichiro on the block?

Brian

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
So of those players who's the super stud the Mariners get back in exchange for their franchise player? If they're going to trade away Ichiro they better get back at least one incredibly exciting talent. (think Carlos Gomez and then some)

Fields would be the main cog in the deal.

Ichiro is very good, but he's no Santana.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
If I'm the Mariners...no, I don't do that deal (unless my scouts just adore Floyd...I wouldn't be sure what I'd get if I moved him again though if I were in their front office.) If I'm talking to the White Sox, I want one of Danks or Quentin as the centerpiece and I don't need to accept anything less.

Quentin?

Be serious.

At his age, salary and with his production, he has nearly as much value as Ichiro has.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
Fields would be the main cog in the deal.

Ichiro is very good, but he's no Santana.

Fields doesn't excite anyone. And he may not be as valuable a baseball player as Santana but he's just as/if not more popular around baseball and is probably the most popular player in the world. If you trade the most popular player in the world, a player who has helped open up a pipeline between your franchise and the far East, you better damn well get an incredibly exciting young talent in return not a whole mess of "meh".

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Quentin?

Be serious.

At his age, salary and with his production, he has nearly as much value as Ichiro has.

And if you're the Mariners why wouldn't you ask for him or Danks? What other player in the Sox organization excites you? This is the same team that's demanding Max Scherzer from the Diamondbacks in exchange for Raul f***ing Ibanez.

I think we all might be looking at this the wrong way. What if Ichiro wants out of Seattle, and he is (silently) banging the drums of upper management so he can get out? Im sure ichiro wants a shot at winning a World Series sometime, and he isnt getting any younger, his window is closing. With the implosion of the Mariners this year, they have to be at least 2-3 years away from contending again. Im not going to say that the M's owe Ichiro per se, but he has certainly done a lot for the franchise, and im sure they recognize that.

who knows, crazier things have happened. And I also agree that Ichiro is pretty much the icing on the cake for the White Sox.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
I think we all might be looking at this the wrong way. What if Ichiro wants out of Seattle, and he is (silently) banging the drums of upper management so he can get out? Im sure ichiro wants a shot at winning a World Series sometime, and he isnt getting any younger, his window is closing. With the implosion of the Mariners this year, they have to be at least 2-3 years away from contending again. Im not going to say that the M's owe Ichiro per se, but he has certainly done a lot for the franchise, and im sure they recognize that.

who knows, crazier things have happened. And I also agree that Ichiro is pretty much the icing on the cake for the White Sox.

Ichiro could demand a trade from Seattle to their management and that still wouldn't mean that we wouldn't have to put together a package that can beat the offer coming from all those other teams that have money and would love to get a player of his caliber. Think the Yankees or Red Sox wouldn't want a piece of that action? And both of them have much higher value'd guys to try to sell. And beyond that then you can look at the upstart teams with all the talent who are cheap for so long (the D-Backs come to mind), I'd throw the Angels in only because it seems that the more CF's they have the happier they are...etc.

Unless Ichiro says "Trade me to the Chicago White Sox or I go public with these pictures" you do not get him without a package centered around Danks or Quentin, because those are the only bullets we have that could beat packages centered around guys like Hughes, Kennedy, Cabrera/Ellsbury, Lester, etc.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
So of those players who's the super stud the Mariners get back in exchange for their franchise player? If they're going to trade away Ichiro they better get back at least one incredibly exciting talent. (think Carlos Gomez and then some)

Floyd, Egbert, Shelby, Richard, Anderson, Fields

copied the names for reference safe

I'm gonna do the generic list and then my take from there..you guys disagree, and, at the very least, it creates discussion. Anyways....

Floyd - has the potential to be a #2 at this point..now, he's a #4. Consistency is a huge concern, especially with his breaking ball. If he can keep that with a 92 MPH 2-seamer, he's a #2...if he develops a change, you could find a new ace soon enough. Not enough value for the Sox to deal...SELLING LOW

Egbert - struggling upon finding a new level, new catcher, and completely different ballpark. He's found a groove upon finding a new level, and I view Egbert as the next Aaron Cook or whatever good but not great (read: Kevin Brown, Brandon Webb) sinkerballer to eat 220 innings in a teams rotation within the next 10 year.

Shelby - seems like a good player...ceiling is a good starter in CF, potential all-star during peak. Floor is a bust, AAAA player. People here like him though, so maybe he is a starter in CF.

Richard - back end of the rotation starter...stuff good enough to compete with Buehrle, but who doesn't? If stuff of 90-93 is for real with a good breaking ball with the "pinpoint control of Buehrle" (quoted because Buehrle does not have pinpoint control, merely he's one of the few pitchers in the entire majors that I will classify as an actual pitcher...Joe Saunders would be next, but I want to have Buehrle's babies more)

Anderson - poor man's Torii Hunter...gold glove defense in CF, poor average (at this point), solid power numbers, all at the major league level. Has proven such ability at the AAA level (2005), AAAA level (ST 2006, 2007, and 2008...only know 2007 and 2008 without a bit of internet research beyond type and find, so if anything finds something for 2006, be my guest). I like Anderson, and I think he'll be a damn good starting player in some major league team's uniform at some point within the next year and a half, and whether he's Torii Hunter or Mike Cameron (without the walks) it doesn't matter, because I truthfully believe he'll be in the league for 10+ years (as a starter or 4th OFer, I don't know, but that defense in CF is invaluable...if KW doesn't see the value in it before 2009, I see Kevin Towers, Walt Jocketty, or John Mozeliak taking him for "over" value, and then seeing him turn into a regular for 5-10 years. Trading Anderson for anything could be one of KW's greatest moves or one of his biggest blunders - even bigger than trading for Wells or even thinking about potentially signing Crede to an extension.

Fields - well can he hit the fastball or not? If he can, hello Ryan Howard. If he can't, I hope Rob Deer is suiting up a Dodgers uniform next season. How's that for you?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 06:21 AM)
I don't think even the Mariners would be that desperate to trade their super star. Their fan base is one reason and his talent the second and one doesn't necessarily take precedence over the other.

Agreed that there's a snowball's chance in hell of Ichiro being traded any time soon. Not when they just signed him to a huge contract and when he's the only one selling merchandise and putting butts in the seats. If the Mariners want to shed payroll this year, they'll deal Beltre, Washburn, or Bedard.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
Ichiro would be great. Just as a hypothetical that somebody mentioned, would they deal Ichiro for Danks, Floyd, Broadway, Paulie and Fields? I would not do that trade if I was KW, but I bet they would.

That trade would be epically brutal.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Agreed that there's a snowball's chance in hell of Ichiro being traded any time soon. Not when they just signed him to a huge contract and when he's the only one selling merchandise and putting butts in the seats. If the Mariners want to shed payroll this year, they'll deal Beltre, Washburn, or Bedard.

agreed, but nobody is going to take a chance on Bedard with his injured shoulder.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
That trade would be epically brutal.

It would be worse than the Bonser-Liriano-Nathan trade for AJ. Actually would probably be one of the worst deals in sports history, along the lines of Herschel Walker.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
Paulie, Fields and Broadway for Ichiro? Paulie is only 32.

If you were the M's GM, would you take a 32 year old who has had issues in the field and at the plate, a good prospect but strikes out a ton, and a guy who has struggled a ton in AAA? Come on.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
If you were the M's GM, would you take a 32 year old who has had issues in the field and at the plate, a good prospect but strikes out a ton, and a guy who has struggled a ton in AAA? Come on.

I think we should sign Richie Sexson and include him in the deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
I thought Fields was a top prospect. How bout Fields, Paulie, Broadway, Macdougal and Dotel for Ichiro.

So now you want them to take a a good prospect but strikes out a ton, .220 hitter who stinks in the field, a mid-4 ERA guy in AAA, 3 bottles of icey-hot, and a good RP for the most popular player in the world?

Put it this way- if we want Ichiro, we might have to include Quentin and probably Danks or Floyd, and then Fields, Getz, and Broadway.

Edited by whitesoxbrian