Chicago Slang

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
I do the exact same thing and get made fun of for it. Crayons=Crans, Greg=Graig, Egg=Aig, Leg=Laig, Keg=Kaig, etc.

Are you guys from Wisconsin? A Wisco. friend of mine says flaig for flag and taig for tag etc.

Just whatever you do, don't say malk for milk.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:00 AM)
Are you guys from Wisconsin? A Wisco. friend of mine says flaig for flag and taig for tag etc.

Just whatever you do, don't say malk for milk.

I hate it when people say melk.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
Apparently not. I guess it's "Kehg" and "Lehg" etc.

And I say Flag and Tag the right way, it's the "eg" ones I pronounce differently.

I think people that pronounce those words differently just want to be better than us and think that they are normal. I'm gonna get a dictionary and see how it tells me to say those words.

Does anybody here call an "easy" girl (you know what I mean) a "bustdown"? (I have never heard a white person say that btw besides ones that hang around blacks/hispanics a lot and I would be surprised if someone did)

Also my wife makes fun of me for how I say "roots" and "roof." I don't pronounce the "oo" sound (as in how you'd hear it in "tools" or "boobs"), I say it almost like a "uh" sound. But for some reason it depends on the context of "roots," if I'm talking about a plant I say it that way, but I say it the other way if I'm talking about family, or the "root of the problem."

The word pop is pretty common throughout the midwest, no one around my area in Iowa calls it soda.

The biggest pet peave of mine is when someone says "warsh" instead of "wash." No offense if anyone says that but I cannot stand it. George Warshington, stuff like that bugs me.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Also my wife makes fun of me for how I say "roots" and "roof." I don't pronounce the "oo" sound (as in how you'd hear it in "tools" or "boobs"), I say it almost like a "uh" sound. But for some reason it depends on the context of "roots," if I'm talking about a plant I say it that way, but I say it the other way if I'm talking about family, or the "root of the problem."

I'm the same way as you.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Does anybody here call an "easy" girl (you know what I mean) a "bustdown"? (I have never heard a white person say that btw besides ones that hang around blacks/hispanics a lot and I would be surprised if someone did)

I've never heard anyone use 'bustdown'. I'm not even sure I get it.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 02:34 AM)
I've never heard anyone use 'bustdown'. I'm not even sure I get it.

Are you from the south side?

It might just be outdated and one of those temporary fad-type words, but it was in heavy use a couple years ago.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)

Whatdown joe?

I call them bussdowns...

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Back to Chicago, anyone use the word 'front room' to describe the living room?...and the pronunciation sounds like 'french room'?

It's more like "frunch room."

Also, I've never heard anyone say "Da" as an article in my life, unless they were just doing the skit from SNL.

How about the different ways we say 'you'.

Eat it, it's good for ya.

Let me setcha up with a couple of tickets to the game.

How about the way we try shorten 'that would be' into 'that'd be', and it ends up sounding like:

"Let me see if we can upgrade your seat. Wow, that be great, thx."

I have a million of them. People out here point things out to me all the time.