Brewers trade for Giants 2B Durham

Brian

Remember last year when people said the Brewers wouldn't trade Weeks straight up for Buehrle. Well, I bet you could offer two solid prospects for Weeks right now. In fact, If I were the Sox, I'd try to buy low on Weeks and put him in as one of the many guys battling it out for the 2nd base position next year (With Ramirez moving to SS).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Remember last year when people said the Brewers wouldn't trade Weeks straight up for Buehrle. Well, I bet you could offer two solid prospects for Weeks right now. In fact, If I were the Sox, I'd try to buy low on Weeks and put him in as one of the many guys battling it out for the 2nd base position next year (With Ramirez moving to SS).

Big fan of this idea, and I'm thinking we could even over-value some of our relief because they need it so bad. This would make a lot of sense for us to do.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Weeks for McDougal and Masset?

Not a chance in bloody hell. We're talking about a 25 year old former #2 overall pick who put up an .807 OPS last year, you'd figure at least one (probably two) very good prospect(s) and a VERY good bullpen arm would have to be included.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Not a chance in bloody hell. We're talking about a 25 Not a chance in bloody hell. We're talking about a 25 year old former #2 overall pick who put up an .807 OPS last year, you'd figure at least one (probably two) very good prospect(s) and a VERY good bullpen arm would have to be included.

You know that I throw out trade scenarios just to piss you off.

:lol:

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
You know that I throw out trade scenarios just to piss you off.

:lol:

Hence why I hate this time of year, any idiot thinks he formulate a realistic trade scenario but it seems no one has any clue as to the value of these players.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
Think they are looking to move Weeks for a closer/bullpen arm like Street.

I can't see Weeks being really positive about this move.

Oakland just acquired there 2B of the future so they'd have no interest in Weeks. They'd probably laugh at a Weeks for Street offer. I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about Weeks and it sounded as if they would have trouble getting anything of significant value for him. The best shot for the Brewers would be to get a solid reliever and maybe a C prospect for him.

Another option would be for them to trade him to another team who has a former highly touted prospect in need of a change of scenery. I guarantee you the Brewers would not get an actual top prospect for Weeks in a deal (unless the Brewers were giving something else up). In fact, I think you could look at this past off-season that a best case scenario type of deal for the Brewers and Weeks would be similar to what happened with Quentin (ie, they got Carter who was a good prospect with upside, but not the same caliber as the player they gave up).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Hence why I hate this time of year, any idiot thinks he formulate a realistic trade scenario but it seems no one has any clue as to the value of these players.

It won't stop me from throwing out trade scenario after trade scenario.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
Oh I know and 3/4 of them will have the Sox landing Matt Kemp.

If not more than 3/4ths. If I see the Dodgers beat reporters talking about Kemp for Wilson than I read that as meaning Kemp for OC could happen. Therefor, I will not rest until it does :lol:

I see the Sox two long-term needs, which they will not be able to fill from within, being a top notch CF (which I think is a very important position) and a front-line type starter. The Sox will be losing significant contracts and if they could get that CF now (Kemp) they could than focus there off-season on getting a front line starter to team up with Vaz/Buehrle (with Danks/Floyd being able to continue to master there craft and develop into future front line guys).

I'm very excited right now about the possibilities of putting together a young up and coming team that is already very good (which still has that right mix of vets).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
I agree with the notion of getting a top of the line CF, but in that proposed plan, does that include getting rid of one of Thome/Konerko in the off-season?

The logic is that you could get your CF in the future today if you dangle Orlando Cabrera (this than means Ken Williams would have to pull out all the stops to acquire Brian Roberts to replace Cabrera at the top of the order with Ramirez sliding over to SS defensively).

By acquiring Kemp to play CF, you now have freed up Swisher to either be (this year):

1. If you can trade Paulie today, he would be your full-time first baseman, but also able to sub in at other OF positions in the case of an injury. However, the only way you can move Konerko now is if the Dodgers are that desperate to get a SS that they would also be willing to take a chance at Paulie and take his contract.

2. Ultimate Rover - He essentially plays as a full-time player but as a fill-in at other positions (all 3 OF spots helping Kemp/Dye/Q rest) as well as 1B for Paulie (or you play him in one of those OF spots with the OF DH'ing and giving Thome a day off). Swisher is also there for depth if any starter goes down. This gives you a lot of depth down the stretch and considering Swisher would be able to play all 3 OF spots, plus 1B and DH you could essentially play him 5 days a week while resting each of those positions once a week (plus you could play him more for someone who is struggling, ie, Paulie).

In 2009, Swisher would for sure fit into #1 as the Sox would have traded Paul Konerko (ideally, if scenario 2 happened for the 08 season, Konerko would produce in the 2nd half, thus increasing his trade value and enabling the Sox to actually improve there system by getting 2 B prospects for Paulie) and hopefully have Thome back for one more season (if both Thome and Paulie are gone, you offer Dunn a 4 year 60M deal to replace the lost power). Your 09 lineup would essentially be this (I'm using the assumption that the Sox would acquire a legit leadoff hitter to replace OC and Roberts is the ideal fit and Fields and potentially more would be the cost):

Roberts

AJP

Q

Dye

Thome

Kemp

Swisher

Insert 3B (FA or Trade, Casey Blake could be a cheap fit here, regardless we are talking about the 8th spot in the lineup)

Ramirez - SS

You look at that lineup and you have 3 guys whose best years are ahead of them (Ramirez/Q/Kemp), 1 guy entering his prime (Swisher) and a few solid vets that are still productive (Roberts/Thome/AJP/Vet 3B). That isn't a bad mix of youth and veterans. If you can acquire Roberts without giving up Fields than he would be plugged in and you'd be talking about 4 guys whose best years are ahead of them.

The farm system would not have been destroyed with the moves either (as Roberts will at most cost one of Fields/Poreda plus a starting prospect and one of Richar/Getz).