Sox interested in Street

beck72

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ml?eref=writers

If Street is on the block, it makes a lot of sense for the Sox to get him. Though the price would be high, the bullpen needs to be a strength for years down the road. Kenny got lucky with free agents Linebrink and Dotel. Many other teams have done the same thing and it hasn't worked. Getting a young, proven, reliable bullpen arm would help in 2008 and the next few years.

Street would no doubt be one of the top set up men in the bigs. And could close if need be. No doubt Kenny got a little scared when Jenks went down and Dotel was the only option as closer. The only question is--what are the A's asking for? Besides Fields, or pitching, like Clayton Richard, I don't know who else there is.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Street hasn't been very good this year. I think he has 5 blown saves and has given up plenty of runs. If something knocks Jenks out, I would prefer Dotel close. He's usually unhittable. But maybe there is something wrong with Linebrink. He hasn't pitched in quite a long time. I just saw the thread on the arm fatigue. Arm fatigue 38 innings into the season has to be a concern. Couple that with Jenks coming off an injury most likely equals KW looking for a big time reliever, and while Street has definitely struggled this year, there is no question he fits that criteria.

Edited by Dick Allen

Sox interesting in Street

I know its a mistype and all, but its still funny to read :)

Street would be a nice setup guy, and also a great fill-in if Jenks has any recurrances. However, Beane is loading up right now and I am pretty sure he is going to get what he wants in regards to prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
Someone else KW supposedly has an eye on:

Ladson also reports that the White Sox and Rays are scouting closer Jon Rauch. Rauch, you may recall, came up as a starter with the Sox and was traded to the Expos in '04. Kenny Williams made that deal with Omar Minaya.

I was thinking about him the other day, he was mentioned to be available on mlbtraderumors.com. Last I remember of him, his velocity was down around the time that he was traded due to a shoulder problem, if he is closing now he must have regained it.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
I was thinking about him the other day, he was mentioned to be available on mlbtraderumors.com. Last I remember of him, his velocity was down around the time that he was traded due to a shoulder problem, if he is closing now he must have regained it.

The problem with getting him is Bowden wants about as much for his players as Chuck LaMar used to want for his.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
I know its a mistype and all, but its still funny to read :)

Street would be a nice setup guy, and also a great fill-in if Jenks has any recurrances. However, Beane is loading up right now and I am pretty sure he is going to get what he wants in regards to prospects.

Mistype whaddya mean?! :)

Beane hasn't seemed to get as much as he should have in regards to his latest deals. Maybe he's being very selective. But the haul in terms of prospects hasn't seemed that great for what he's given up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 08:47 AM)
The problem with getting him is Bowden wants about as much for his players as Chuck LaMar used to want for his.

Chuck LaMar, I never understood what that guy ever tried to accomplish. He always asked for the moon and ended up with nothing, plus a losing team. At some point he had to realize that it wasnt working

He must be selling insurance somewhere now

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 08:47 AM)

Just offer Bowden a potential five-tool player and he'll bite. Lyndon Estill for Rauch straight up. Do ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Whatever limited trade chips we have should be going towards obtaining another starter. If we can't get a starter then Street is more appealing but the rotation is in worse shape than our bullpen.

If you're worried about Linebrink and his arm fatigue issues, then Jose Contreras should have you traumatized.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Whatever limited trade chips we have should be going towards obtaining another starter. If we can't get a starter then Street is more appealing but the rotation is in worse shape than our bullpen.

If you're worried about Linebrink and his arm fatigue issues, then Jose Contreras should have you traumatized.

+1

The Sox aren't going to dump Jenks, Linebrink, or Dotel, so why in God's name would they want Street?

At the very least, Kenny should offer Jose to a contender at half price for a pitching prospect this winter. He probably won't get another Floyd in return, but it'll be a step in the right direction.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
Considering how much the Sox hated Rauch's attitude, I would be shocked if he was back with the organization. I have a feeling the A.J. Burnett rumors will pick up.

I don't buy this Jon Rauch to the Sox talk. Nothing would shock me more. If they bring him back, they might as well bring back Paniagua (that is how disliked Rauch was by the organization and it happened long before Kenny went off on him when Rauch left the game early).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
Say no to Fuentes. Last thing Sox need is another lefty in the pen.

I've never thought that having too many lefties is a bad thing.

Especially if they can get both lefties and righties out.