Sox interested in Street

beck72

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Indeed this website doesn't make enough money to sign a major league pitcher. :lolhitting

Were you at the Sox game on Saturday in the OF bleachers? I was sitting in the same section as Mike (southsider) and than my buddy I was at the game with mentioned that the person in group in front of us mentioned the Soxtalk/WSI softball game.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Were you at the Sox game on Saturday in the OF bleachers? I was sitting in the same section as Mike (southsider) and than my buddy I was at the game with mentioned that the person in group in front of us mentioned the Soxtalk/WSI softball game.

He was literally sitting a row in front of you. I figured you guys had met each other :lolhitting. He was the guy that came up and said hey when we stopped over to say good-bye to you all.

Heath Bell would be a guy I would maybe look at, but his away splits are just brutal this season.

Matt Capps could be another option, depending on what Huntington would ask for, maybe less than what Beane would charge for Street.

I do agree that another quality righty in the pen would be an important addition. You can never have enough good arms in the pen, as we have seen lately.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
I don't buy this Jon Rauch to the Sox talk. Nothing would shock me more. If they bring him back, they might as well bring back Paniagua (that is how disliked Rauch was by the organization and it happened long before Kenny went off on him when Rauch left the game early).

Nice product placement.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
How many of those closers did they trade for during the season?

How many closers have been on the DL this year? And how many other relievers do you trust to step in and be a closer?

Im not saying we MUST trade for a closer, but I also dont think its the worst thing in the world.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
How many closers have been on the DL this year? And how many other relievers do you trust to step in and be a closer?

I actually do have faith in a few guys in house to close if necessary. I certainly won't be trading top prospects to get a closer just in case Jenks went down. The club has depth and I'm confident if Jenks was down for an extended time someone would step up (and at that point, Kenny would just have to acquire a solid guy middle reliever to fill the void for whomever the new closer is (or hope that Masset/Russel could fill that void).

If the sox traded for a guy like Street, he'd help solidify the bullpen for the next 3 years [iIRC]. We've all seen how difficult it is to build a bullpen. With the sox saving money on having Floyd and Danks in the rotation, they can afford to pay their bullpen guys more. Even to the point of having Street as set up.

It depends on who the A's asking for. Fields would be at his lowest value, due to being hurt. IMO, he should be kept and will probably be at 3B next year. Young arms are more likely, due to their inconsistency and unpredictability. The sox haven't had any arms they traded come back and haunt them.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
How many closers did the Sox use in 2005?

Takatsu was a washed-up junkball-thrower and we were lucky to get a career 3/4 year out of Hermanson before injuries sidelined him. Cotts was also a flash-in-the-pan. The '05 bullpen performed incredibly well, but the track record of the guys we currently have is MUCH better than that of our pen three years ago. That doesn't mean that Jenks/Linebrink/Dotel will perform as well as Hermanson/Politte/Cotts, but I feel a lot better about the level of bullpen talent that we have now (and for the future) than I did back in '05. Just having a healthy Jenks with a proven track record is a significant improvement.

While the pen has been pretty bad lately, their overall numbers are still very solid and Jenks/Linebrink are probably the best one-two punch in the AL. Teams go through their ups and downs over the course of the season and our pen has been struggling lately. I don't think that it's helpful to panic and bring in another closer when Jenks/Linebrink/Dotel have pitched pretty well overall this season. If anything, the Sox need another reliable starter. I have significantly less faith in Contreras' ability to stay healthy than I do in Linebrink's or Jenks'. We will also need somebody to replace Danks in the rotation in September, as there's no way that he'll be able to throw anywhere close to 200 innings this season.

Edited by WCSox

Reports out of San Fran say the Sox are one of the 4 still interested. Hell yea KW should attempt to get this guy, with the way Thorton (who i think will rebound) and Logan (i think he needs to re-do his approach down in triple-a) have been suckin Street will be that final piece to a bullpen that can be one of the best in White Sox history. Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Street. WOWZA!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Reports out of San Fran say the Sox are one of the 4 still interested. Hell yea KW should attempt to get this guy, with the way Thorton (who i think will rebound) and Logan (i think he needs to re-do his approach down in triple-a) have been suckin Street will be that final piece to a bullpen that can be one of the best in White Sox history. Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Street. WOWZA!

I read somewhere where Street's last outing raised a lot of red flags. He blew his 5th save, his velocity was down, and I guess his arm angle was lower than usual suggesting a possible injury.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 05:45 AM)
Say no to Fuentes. Last thing Sox need is another lefty in the pen.

I would agree with you, but still I am wondering about Logan. He has been faltering some lately. Ozzie is critical and although that may be a motivational tactic on OG's part, it does make you wonder.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
I read somewhere where Street's last outing raised a lot of red flags. He blew his 5th save, his velocity was down, and I guess his arm angle was lower than usual suggesting a possible injury.

I read it somewhere as well. His velocity was down to something like 89.5 mph from 90.1 mph.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
I read it somewhere as well. His velocity was down to something like 89.5 mph from 90.1 mph.

Here's what Buster Olney had to say:

Huston Street, Athletics, RHP: Rival talent evaluators are concerned about his diminished speed, arm angle and ability to cope with left-handed hitters -- lefties are batting .257 against him, but with five homers in 70 at-bats. Oakland wants a decent return for him and, unless the Athletics get it, they'll be inclined to keep him until the winter in the hope of getting better return in the offseason.

Sounds like its down a little more than you think.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
Here's what Buster Olney had to say:

Huston Street, Athletics, RHP: Rival talent evaluators are concerned about his diminished speed, arm angle and ability to cope with left-handed hitters -- lefties are batting .257 against him, but with five homers in 70 at-bats. Oakland wants a decent return for him and, unless the Athletics get it, they'll be inclined to keep him until the winter in the hope of getting better return in the offseason.

Sounds like its down a little more than you think.

this is where I saw the dip in MPH. from Tim Dierkes:

"Street is not at peak value right now, with eight hits and four runs allowed in his last three appearances. His average fastball velocity is down to 89.7 mph this year from 90.4 last year. Strikeouts are down, walks and home runs are up. He's dealt with a groin strain this season and ulnar nerve irritation last year. Street is under team control through 2010."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/dodgers-scoutin.html

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
this is where I saw the dip in MPH. from Tim Dierkes:

"Street is not at peak value right now, with eight hits and four runs allowed in his last three appearances. His average fastball velocity is down to 89.7 mph this year from 90.4 last year. Strikeouts are down, walks and home runs are up. He's dealt with a groin strain this season and ulnar nerve irritation last year. Street is under team control through 2010."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/dodgers-scoutin.html

Don't mess with anyone with ulnar nerve irritation. I'm not joking. It's not good. At all. I've had it.

This move would make no sense unless we were immediately flipping Street for a starting pitcher. We have the best bullpen in baseball and a starting staff that needs some rest, Javy appears to have a dead arm, Floyd and Danks will hit the their career highs in IP, JC is starting to slink back into 07 form. We need another starter to provide some depth and take some pressure off of the rest of the staff and allow the team to handle Danks and Floyd more cautiously. No sense in adding a piece to the strongest unit of the team at this point.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
This move would make no sense unless we were immediately flipping Street for a starting pitcher. We have the best bullpen in baseball and a starting staff that needs some rest, Javy appears to have a dead arm, Floyd and Danks will hit the their career highs in IP, JC is starting to slink back into 07 form. We need another starter to provide some depth and take some pressure off of the rest of the staff and allow the team to handle Danks and Floyd more cautiously. No sense in adding a piece to the strongest unit of the team at this point.

If adding to the bullpen is the best you can do to improve a pitching staff that may be starting to falter a bit, I'm all for it on that level. That being said, I'm not all that convinced Street is a good option at this point. In other words, while I may disagree with you reasoning ... ie, adding a piece to the strongest unit not making sense ... I don't believe the current version of Street is much of an addition.