Sox interested in Street

beck72

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
This move would make no sense unless we were immediately flipping Street for a starting pitcher. We have the best bullpen in baseball and a starting staff that needs some rest, Javy appears to have a dead arm, Floyd and Danks will hit the their career highs in IP, JC is starting to slink back into 07 form. We need another starter to provide some depth and take some pressure off of the rest of the staff and allow the team to handle Danks and Floyd more cautiously. No sense in adding a piece to the strongest unit of the team at this point.

Except that the bullpen hasn't been "the best" over the past 3-4 weeks.

You can never have enough good arms for the pen IMHO. Getting a RHP who's an upgrade over Russell, Masset, Carrasco etc. should be a priority IMHO if the price is right.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Except that the bullpen hasn't been "the best" over the past 3-4 weeks.

You can never have enough good arms for the pen IMHO. Getting a RHP who's an upgrade over Russell, Masset, Carrasco etc. should be a priority IMHO if the price is right.

Yes, but recent scouting reports indicate that Street may not be much of an upgrade. Reduced velocity and arm angle issues being mentioned.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Yes, but recent scouting reports indicate that Street may not be much of an upgrade. Reduced velocity and arm angle issues being mentioned.

The cost would be too high anyways.

We've got Linebrink and Dotel dominating in the 7th and 8th innings for the most part, so all we need is a good RHP (or even a LHP because Logan and Thornton have been struggling) who can come in a bit earlier than that.

Someone like a Heath Bell or a John Grabow for example, who would come a lot cheaper.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)

We've got Linebrink and Dotel dominating in the 7th and 8th innings for the most part, so all we need is a good RHP (or even a LHP because Logan and Thornton have been struggling) who can come in a bit earlier than that.

Someone like a Heath Bell or a John Grabow for example, who would come a lot cheaper.

Good point. One that I forgot to mention. Street's cost does not equal value right now, as Jason mentioned earlier.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)

I bet Bell would bring in more than Street. Bell is a stud and should take over for Hoffman shortly.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:32 AM)
Seems the sox are making a last pitch for Street, though it would have to be a 3 way deal. With the questions surrounding Street, I'd say he'd come cheaper than we first thought.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-ssep31.article

If he's coming cheaper than we first thought, yet the White Sox still can't get him, what does that say about our minor league system?

Street scares me some - I've heard a lot of the baseball "experts" speak on him, and most aren't really convinced with the questions on him.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
If he's coming cheaper than we first thought, yet the White Sox still can't get him, what does that say about our minor league system?

Street scares me some - I've heard a lot of the baseball "experts" speak on him, and most aren't really convinced with the questions on him.

It doesn't bode well at all. Though the A's basically have acquired most of the sox top minor league talent--Gio, DLS, Sweeney, Cunningham, Carter, etc.

I guess it comes down to health with Street. Beane won't give Street away. And he could wait until the offseason to trade him. Though if he gets hurt no one will touch him. Tough call.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:45 AM)

i honestly just hate the way the kid pitches. Nibbles the entire time, gives up runs in bunches at times.