Contreras Placed on the DL

Dick Allen

I hope that there is an actual reason for his loss and this isn't just them calling it a tired arm or something. Maybe some sort of minor back issue or something along those lines?

I guess elbow tenditis could be what has effected him or it could be a BS injury. With Carrasco coming up, who will making the starts or does the schedule line up to work out that they really don't need a fifth for the first turn or two in the 2nd half of the season?

I certainly hope Carrasco isn't going to start and Masset isn't stretched out enough to start. In fact, with Floyd/Danks I think they should be interested in getting those guys rest so I see no reason anyone but Egbert/Broadway/Haeger isn't up (Richard would have been a suggestion but he's on the olympic squad and I doubt the Sox will pull him away from that, plus I don't even know how that would work).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
In the past couple of weeks KW went from a guy who if he did nothing by the deadline people would have understood, but now has several questions to ponder. I just hope he doesn't call for a meeting with Konerko and Thome.

Great point, especially considering we're one game away from not being able to use the excuse that why should a first place team make changes?

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
so who is the fifth starter?

Masset?

that's a scary, scary thought.

Carrasco should be able to handle a couple of innings of middle relief per week.

i don't see why masset as a stopgap starter would be scary.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
Masset has been awful lately, outside of his game at Texas.

i'm aware of his recent struggles.

he's struggled before then stepped in and made strong spot starts, no?

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)

Considering this spot in the rotation gets the Rangers, Tigers, and Twins in the next 3 games, it's important that KW finds a suitable replacement.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)

During his major league career he's started 2 games. There's the start he made last year at Wrigley in 40 degree weather with the wind blowing straight in where he went 5.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K and the spot start he made earlier this year in Minnesota where he went 4 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, HBP (9 baserunners in 4 inning of work.) Lets not act like he's made 5 or 6 starts, he's made 2 and 1 was good the other was mediocre.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
During his major league career he's started 2 games. There's the start he made last year at Wrigley in 40 degree weather with the wind blowing straight in where he went 5.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K and the spot start he made earlier this year in Minnesota where he went 4 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, HBP (9 baserunners in 4 inning of work.) Lets not act like he's made 5 or 6 starts, he's made 2 and 1 was good the other was mediocre.

i didn't act like anything. in his spots starts he's been fine, probably better than jose's been lately.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Mora said the Sox are leaning towards spot starting Carrasco? On short rest? He'd only have 3 days off, and Masset would only have two days off.

That's pretty dumb when you have a knuckleballer available in AAA who has put up some very good numbers over the past three months.