Hurricane Dolly Bearing Down on Me

Texsox

So I have a potential hurricane heading my way. How s***ty will it be if I get nailed by "Dolly"? As in "Dolly" really kicked my ass, Dolly destroyed everything. Dammit, I want names like Terminator, Darth Vader, names like that. Then, maybe, people will take them seriously. I'm hearing that "Dolly" is coming our way and we may need to evacuate South Padre Island, I'm thinking, Dolly!? I may take my chances. If they say Hurricane Rex Kickass is heading my way, I'm getting the hell out now.

The last one to seriously screw with South Texas was Beuhla. I'm just guessing a barrier island sucks during a hurricane.

Strange feeling as I watched the computer models gradually tighten and form right over my coordinates. I knew around 3:30 am that I would have to close camp and evacuate everyone. As I was leaving, storm clouds and rain began. The Gulf was very strange, confused seas, times when the wurf would pull waaaay back, then come screaming in. We were considering surfing, but backoff. The tops were getting blown off and too tightly spaced for good surfing. Also strange is all the emergency equipment and media moving into the area.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
There's a joke in here somewhere... :lol:

Seriously, stay safe, get the hell off that island if you can... and let us know how you're fairing.

We took off, I just got home. I had a few friends pick up the boats and one small equipment trailer. We pulled everything down and stored it in our two storage containers. Lots of work. I had one small 19' sailboat that we had to dig a few dead men and we're hoping they hold. We also just added a special roof that fit between the two buildings. That sucker will be in the bay and we have not even paid for it yet :o They are predicting a 5-6' surge, which will push against the buildings.

I am dead tired and going to bed. I was awake since 3:00 am checking the forecasts.

Sending good thoughts your way. For as cool a natural phenomenon as they are hurricanes are a real pain in the ass when they take a bead on you.

When I saw this one was going to be named Dolly and saw it heading into the Gulf, I thought it would be heading to New Orleans just based on the Louis Armstrong name karma alone. Glad to see that is not the case, but unfortunately someone's miss is always someone else's storm path.

Take care of yourself and your staff and boys, Tex.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
We took off, I just got home. I had a few friends pick up the boats and one small equipment trailer. We pulled everything down and stored it in our two storage containers. Lots of work. I had one small 19' sailboat that we had to dig a few dead men and we're hoping they hold. We also just added a special roof that fit between the two buildings. That sucker will be in the bay and we have not even paid for it yet :o They are predicting a 5-6' surge, which will push against the buildings.

I am dead tired and going to bed. I was awake since 3:00 am checking the forecasts.

I'm glad you're out of the way... hopefully things hold down there for you.

Let us know how you're doing from time to time if you can, even inland, you can get some nasty weather it looks like.

I't seems that landfall will be about 8 miles south of the camp I run. I'm about 90 miles away and feeling pretty good. There are chances for tornadoes and lots of rain today. We're gathering the usual supplies, we will definitely not be singing "wine bottle's low . . ."*

*tip of the lyric hat for the first person to pick up that reference.

I've been using Google earth to track and right now the eye is 8 miles from camp. It's weird because I know this area so well, I'm picturing different homes and stuff and imagining what is happening. I wish I had installed a web camp at camp to monitor stuff.

The rain has been steadily increasing here at my house.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
So it made landfall pretty much right at South Padre, but it looks like it is falling apart pretty quickly.

They are not saying landfall yet. It seems to be paralleling off the coast and heading north. It may cross a unpopulated area or even Port Mansfield. From what I've seen on the local news, I have a huge mess at camp.

I'm waiting for my power to go out. It is very dark here and very windy.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
They are not saying landfall yet. It seems to be paralleling off the coast and heading north. It may cross a unpopulated area or even Port Mansfield. From what I've seen on the local news, I have a huge mess at camp.

I'm waiting for my power to go out. It is very dark here and very windy.

Do they consider the island "land"? Also is landfall when the eye touches land, or when the whole eye is over land?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Do they consider the island "land"? Also is landfall when the eye touches land, or when the whole eye is over land?

Local coverage now shows the western portion of the eye just touching the island just north of the developed part. It seems they are waiting to mark landfall when the majority of the eye crosses over land. Port Mansfield seems to be the place.

I'n certain I would be crapping my pants, but now I wish I had grabbed a room and stayed.

The eye passed over an "uninhabited by human" area of South Padre Island. They are waiting to mark land fall until it hits the mainland. Looks like Arroyo City will be smacked soon.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
The eye passed over an "uninhabited by human" area of South Padre Island. They are waiting to mark land fall until it hits the mainland. Looks like Arroyo City will be smacked soon.

How had the turtle nesting season been going down there this year? Pretty much every nest that hadn't hatched out by now is toast.

We lost an enormous number of nests in a better than average nesting season with the 2004 and 2005 storms.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
How had the turtle nesting season been going down there this year? Pretty much every nest that hadn't hatched out by now is toast.

We lost an enormous number of nests in a better than average nesting season with the 2004 and 2005 storms.

"Ever seen a turtle fly?"