Hurricane Dolly Bearing Down on Me

Texsox

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
How had the turtle nesting season been going down there this year? Pretty much every nest that hadn't hatched out by now is toast.

We lost an enormous number of nests in a better than average nesting season with the 2004 and 2005 storms.

We were invited to view the secret corral where they relocate the nests. Very cool. They dug one up that was hatching. Already this year more nests hatched then last year. Over 1,000 turtles have been released, so two or three may survive and reproduce.

Holy Crap. We're about an hour or two from the really nasty stuff. Already we have sustained 40 mph winds and rain. The heavy bands are about 20 miles away and from what I'm seeing on the local news, this will be a nasty evening and night. Already we've been losing power from time to time.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
Holy Crap. We're about an hour or two from the really nasty stuff. Already we have sustained 40 mph winds and rain. The heavy bands are about 20 miles away and from what I'm seeing on the local news, this will be a nasty evening and night. Already we've been losing power from time to time.

If you can check in from time to time, please do so. Hopefully you have the batteries and the wireless card ready to go (those towers can take a beating unlike the land lines).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
If you can check in from time to time, please do so. Hopefully you have the batteries and the wireless card ready to go (those towers can take a beating unlike the land lines).

I have internet via my cell phone and use it like a modem. I can also text message you. I'm starting to realize this is serious. When TV images start to get closer and closer to where you are it becomes real. Now the areas that were hit this morning are clearing up and what they had is coming here. The weather station about 1/2 mile from me is reporting sustained 40+ mph winds. My car port is trembling like Mike Tyson in a spelling bee.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
I have internet via my cell phone and use it like a modem. I can also text message you. I'm starting to realize this is serious. When TV images start to get closer and closer to where you are it becomes real. Now the areas that were hit this morning are clearing up and what they had is coming here. The weather station about 1/2 mile from me is reporting sustained 40+ mph winds. My car port is trembling like Mike Tyson in a spelling bee.

'k. I'll be around.

I have an aircard, too. They work pretty well.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)
'k. I'll be around.

I have an aircard, too. They work pretty well.

technically it is not an aircard. My Sailing Director had the Verizon version and he was 10X faster then my cell phone using Edge technology from T-mobile. Basically I was using it along with a Java application to access my gmail account.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
technically it is not an aircard. My Sailing Director had the Verizon version and he was 10X faster then my cell phone using Edge technology from T-mobile. Basically I was using it along with a Java application to access my gmail account.

ah, ok. I have the edge tech on my blackberry too but i use verizon.

Got your text. Hope you're hanging in there.

Heard from Tex. He's been out of power at his house since 6 last night and it could be a while before he gets it back.

Said that he had the "usual storm damage" but nothing major.

And that he was heading back to Padre this afternoon to see the damage there.

Sounds like he weathered it fairly ok.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
Things could get really interesting when the remnants of the storm catch the jet stream and start north. Hopefully it avoids the areas of the midwest that were just flooded, and aims more towards the southeast that was in a severe drought.

We aren't going to get a damn thing from this. :angry:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
Things could get really interesting when the remnants of the storm catch the jet stream and start north. Hopefully it avoids the areas of the midwest that were just flooded, and aims more towards the southeast that was in a severe drought.

News here in St. Louis are saying that we will have rain/storms for the next week due to Dolly.

Wow. I was about 60 miles inland, but the eye wall passed very close by. The winds and rain were impressive. I noticed that Mother Nature finds the weak link in everything. We were without electricity for about 20 hours, other areas are still without and it may take a week to ten days to get it back. Being an avid backpacker, I had plenty of odds and ends and a couple camp stoves if necessary. I never lost water, which was very nice. My car port was half ripped out where it was attached to the house, but it remained in place.

I did reach South Padre Island. The usualy 90 minute drive to close to four hours as I negotiated around flooded roadways. Imagine the largest wooden power poles you have ever seen, and splinter them in sections like a toothpick. About 10' of beach was eroded away at my camp. Some items were destroyed, other, more fragile, remained undamaged. Fences and signs were down everywhere. My detours took me thorugh some really poor neighborhoods. Sadly, we could not tell what was normal conditions and what may have been storm damage.

Remembering what Jim went through a couple years ago and am very grateful we had it relatively easy.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
Wow. I was about 60 miles inland, but the eye wall passed very close by. The winds and rain were impressive. I noticed that Mother Nature finds the weak link in everything. We were without electricity for about 20 hours, other areas are still without and it may take a week to ten days to get it back. Being an avid backpacker, I had plenty of odds and ends and a couple camp stoves if necessary. I never lost water, which was very nice. My car port was half ripped out where it was attached to the house, but it remained in place.

I did reach South Padre Island. The usualy 90 minute drive to close to four hours as I negotiated around flooded roadways. Imagine the largest wooden power poles you have ever seen, and splinter them in sections like a toothpick. About 10' of beach was eroded away at my camp. Some items were destroyed, other, more fragile, remained undamaged. Fences and signs were down everywhere. My detours took me thorugh some really poor neighborhoods. Sadly, we could not tell what was normal conditions and what may have been storm damage.

Remembering what Jim went through a couple years ago and am very grateful we had it relatively easy.

glad to hear you're ok, Jim.

Texsox,

Glad to hear you guys down the street are "OK"...

We got plenty of rain here in Luling, about an inch and a half. Most of my family's 3 acres were flooded but those have now been absorbed in our dry soil...

San Antonio received plenty of rain, as did the Hill Country. It didn't really come down in Austin until around 1pm yesterday.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
Texsox,

Glad to hear you guys down the street are "OK"...

We got plenty of rain here in Luling, about an inch and a half. Most of my family's 3 acres were flooded but those have now been absorbed in our dry soil...

San Antonio received plenty of rain, as did the Hill Country. It didn't really come down in Austin until around 1pm yesterday.

Glad to hear that. We have plenty of fields under water, but the irrigation methods we use actually help to contain and channel the water.

I was just thinking I have been through Luling, what is the BBQ joint that is Texas Famous?