KW not likely to make impact deals

GreatScott82

KW article on potential trades

Not sure if this was posted already but i figured i would start a thread on it. Is KW really going to sit on his hands with a .5 game lead heading into the trade deadline or is this his 'flying under the rader' type tactics? This team is desperate for another reliever AND starter. There is no way we win this division with the way our pitching has been playing as of late. I know our farm isn't too beefy with talent but something should be done.

Edited by GreatScott82

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly hope there aren't any changes. I would love to see the Sox pick up another starter but the reality is the price to get such starter is too steep. Plus I just don't see such a move making the Sox a World Series contender. I think the Sox have a playoff caliber team but given the reliance on two extremely young pitchers (who will see there numbers trend upwards as the season progresses) I just don't see them being able to beat out the Angels/BoSox.

I would only make moves if they are the type of moves that help the Sox long-term and I don't think Kenny has the guts to make those deals (as they could potentially make the club worse or even less experienced right now). The reality is the best thing this franchise could likely do is stand pat and prepare to make additional moves over the off-season (unless a good ML for ML swap opens up which helps the Sox).

Parting with Crede or OC could be both be legitimate options if it gets the Sox pieces to help the club this year and beyond, otherwise moving them is foolish given the picks we will be getting as compensation for there depatures as FA's in the off-season.

I should also point out that if Danks/Floyd don't tire than I really don't see why the club has to make another move. Bottom line tihs team has very few big holes (aside from the rotation that I see tiring out and its not as if you are going to bench Floyd/Danks). If Paulie gets going and Thome keeps producing at the clip he has the past month (and the rest of the offense stays consistent) you should see this team have at least one or two more good winning streaks in them.

2 guys I'd love to see us go out and get- Geoff Blum (not just for what he did for us in 2005, but the fact that he can play every position- 2B, SS, 3B, and OF will help us and maybe could signal the end of the Uribe regime in Chicago) and then Odalis Perez (we were close to getting him a few years back and now he has an ERA under 4 in a division with David Wright, Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Dan Uggla, and Hanley Ramirez).

Chipper Jones is in that division too

I'd be OK with Odalis so long as it didn't cost much. Geoff Blum is terrible and if you'd rather have him over Juan Uribe, I have serious questions about your baseball judgment, because Juan Uribe is a far superior player to Blum.

Regardless, there aren't many moves this team can make that will benefit them without making drastic changes to the lineup. So if by impact move you mean blockbuster move or anything close to that, no, the Sox won't be doing that, or atleast they shouldn't be doing that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
Chipper Jones is in that division too

I'd be OK with Odalis so long as it didn't cost much. Geoff Blum is terrible and if you'd rather have him over Juan Uribe, I have serious questions about your baseball judgment, because Juan Uribe is a far superior player to Blum.

Regardless, there aren't many moves this team can make that will benefit them without making drastic changes to the lineup. So if by impact move you mean blockbuster move or anything close to that, no, the Sox won't be doing that, or atleast they shouldn't be doing that.

Him, too.

Also, I apologize- I just checked Blum's stats and I had no idea he was hitting .212. I thought he'd be more near his career mark of around .260.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
I don't see what much we can improve on besides a 5th starter. We just need to hit better as a team.

Really? I don't think so at all. We can't really do much better on offense right now.

Current MLB Rankings (AL Rankings):

AVG: .265 - 10th (6th)

SLG: .442 - 3rd (3rd)

OBP: .338 - 9th (5th)

HRs: 133 - 3rd (1st)

So, we are in the top 10 for every category that matters really. The only thing we desperately need is a base stealing threat, as we are #25 in the league in those.

Basically, the offense is the last of our worries right now.

We don't need a starter, we need a #5 starter. Those should be pretty cheap and easy. If it only took a minor league prospect to get Randy Wolf, I can't imagine it would take too much to get a #5. I don't know who that would be...I'll leave that to the experts...but we don't have to go out and get the best pitcher available. Maybe Loiaza will be that guy?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:58 AM)
We don't need a starter, we need a #5 starter. Those should be pretty cheap and easy. If it only took a minor league prospect to get Randy Wolf, I can't imagine it would take too much to get a #5. I don't know who that would be...I'll leave that to the experts...but we don't have to go out and get the best pitcher available. Maybe Loiaza will be that guy?

Loaiza can't even throw over 80 mph. He's not an option.

A 6th starter and a Ryan Freel type of player for the bench down the stretch would be the only additions to this team I would make via trade. I might see a necessity to call up Russell, Fields, Owens, or Getz/Richar as well, but they're already here and they don't need to be added.

And if Richard can prove capable enough of pitching in the majors, I'd say the 6th starter is solved.

QUOTE (FranktheTank35 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 08:19 PM)
Really? I don't think so at all. We can't really do much better on offense right now.

Current MLB Rankings (AL Rankings):

AVG: .265 - 10th (6th)

SLG: .442 - 3rd (3rd)

OBP: .338 - 9th (5th)

HRs: 133 - 3rd (1st)

So, we are in the top 10 for every category that matters really. The only thing we desperately need is a base stealing threat, as we are #25 in the league in those.

Basically, the offense is the last of our worries right now.

The offense is worrisome because of it's incredible inconsistencies. No one is arguing the stats.

When is the last time KW really made a big move at the actual July trade deadline..........Never, he got Garcia in June. KW does alot of talking and gives the old well I tried speech!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 03:28 AM)
When is the last time KW really made a big move at the actual July trade deadline..........Never, he got Garcia in June. KW does alot of talking and gives the old well I tried speech!

I don't know, Everett and Alomar got plenty of people excited. And the reacquisition of Everett brought us a World Series a year later.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
I don't know, Everett and Alomar got plenty of people excited. And the reacquisition of Everett brought us a World Series a year later.

He picked up Mike MacDougal on July 24, 2006. He went on to be one of the best relievers in baseball from July 25th right on through to the end of the season.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)

I wonder how much it'd take to get Washburn from the M's- although, NYY is interested and I don't want to get into a bidding war for a medicore SP.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 05:01 AM)
I wonder how much it'd take to get Washburn from the M's- although, NYY is interested and I don't want to get into a bidding war for a medicore SP.

I would hate to see Washburn pitch in our ballpark.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
He picked up Mike MacDougal on July 24, 2006. He went on to be one of the best relievers in baseball from July 25th right on through to the end of the season.

It's just crazy how far and how fast he fell.