KW not likely to make impact deals

GreatScott82

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Not to hijack the thread, but from what I understand, the Twins have let Liriano go back to the same arm slot he had when he injured himself, after originally forcing him to use a new arm slot when he first started rehabbing the arm. Since he has made the switch, he has begun dominating games again, and you can see a clear distinction in his numbers. His k's went way up, and his era and hits allowed came way down. His slider, as you referred to, which was once the most devastating pitch in baseball, is still being thrown, but they are trying to get him to work more off his fastball.

Obviously this is a huge risk, both for the Twins and Liriano's career. But this is what he wants and this is what produces the dominant numbers he is capable of. It just remains to be seen whether he will blow out the arm again or not.

Well there was an easy answer. If he pitches in the old armslot, he dominates and if he pitches in the new armslot, he sucks. Easy choice. And since both armslots result in a premature ending to his career, why not go to the dominant one and hope to last long enough to pick up a big paycheck.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KW is no idiot. He's out there trying to make impact moves. Imagine if the Sox could pry Roberts away from Baltimore and then turn around and trade Cabrera to the Dodgers for whoever. By all appearances thats what he's trying to do. Pretty bold thinking nearing August changing your up the middle D completely on a 1st place team. He's also got his plans B-Z depending how things unfold before and after the trade deadline. If Richard pitches well enough to stay we'll see him getting spot starts for Danks and Floyd to keep them as fresh as possible . If he doesn't, Haeger's an option. It all depends on how big of a lead we can maintain in the division. It's possible KW's already got Paulie to waive his no trade status to certain teams. Does anyone think Swisher is untouchable ? I never see his name bounced around as trade bait but he's a pretty valuable commodity. I can see Cabrera, Crede, Fields, Konerko, Floyd , Swisher, and/or Poreda going to the Dodgers . They have Kemp, Lowe, LaRoche and any number of players that could help the Sox. If the Sox make any sort of big trade it'll probably be with the Dodgers , but by most accounts the Dodgers aren't even sure what direction they want to go. If anything happens look for it to happen late , either Wednesday or very close to the deadline expiring.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

If Richard pitches well enough to stay we'll see him getting spot starts for Danks and Floyd to keep them as fresh as possible . If he doesn't, Haeger's an option. It all depends on how big of a lead we can maintain in the division

Has Kenny said this? When in the past have we had our regular starters miss starts for rest purposes?? And as far as how big a lead we can maintain? The lead has not been big for quite some time now and I can't see it getting real big. I mean anything under 8 games is not that big. Let's say heaven forbid we lose 4 straight to Minnie and Detroit smokes Cleveland. They'd be right back within 3 games as well. Tons of season left.

Just thinking. If we do end up winning this division "as is" meaning KW will stay put with this team. What would be our starting 4 in order in the playoffs. Obviously there is 2 months of baseball left and a lot of things can happen, but as of right now who would you go with? I would have to go with Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Javy. Pretty much the order of what the rotation is. Who knows whats going to happen with Contreras. He has struggled for 5-6 starts before he was put on the DL, so whats to say he will rebound? And Javy just hasn't been consistant enough to slot him up in the top 3. I really wish KW will try and aqcuire Duchsherer. I know it jeopardizes the future as we would likely trade Fields and Poreda but can we really afford to have one or two of our starters struggling heading into the playoffs? That would seriously put ALOT of pressure on Dotel and Jenks the rest of the way. What are your thoughts? Can we win this thing with what we have or do we 'need' another SP?