7/23 Games

maggsmaggs

Charlotte Box Score: Knights Lose 3-1

Bourgeois, Richar and Getz all 1-4.

Whisler: 5 inn, 5 hits, 1 ER, 3 BBs and 3 Ks.

Russell: Picks up the loss, 2 inn, 2 hits, 2 ER, 3 BBs and 2 Ks.

Wasserman: shutout inning in relief.

Birmingham Double-Header:

B-Ham Box Score: Barons Lose Game One 6-4

Gatrell and Hudson two hits a piece

McCulloch: 5.2 inn, 5 hits, 3 R (1 ER), 3 BBs and 3 Ks

Link: Blown save, 1.1 inn, 1 hit, 1 run.

B-Ham Box Score: Brons Game Two 6-5

All Aboard the Brandon Allen Train (game in the 7th): 3-3, 2 runs, 2b, 3b, HR. Wowsers!

Day: sucked

Loiaza: 2 inn, 1 hit, 0 runs, but i am sure nothing in terms of velocity.

Winston-Salem Box Score: WS wins 2-1

Long: 5 inn, 2 hits, 1 BB, 7 Ks

Brooks: 3 inn, 3 K's (perfect 3 innings, old for A-ball, but terrific K/BB ratio)

Thon with 2 hits (never heard of him before today) and not much offense

Kanny Double-Header: Postponed due to Rain

Bristol Box Score: Bristol loses 4-2

Short: 3-4

Greene: 2-3, 2 runs and added his 17th stolen base (and only 4 CSs)

Nothing of note pitching wise

Great Falls: No game today

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Russell following Wassermann's busted confidence trend. Hopefully he gets it together quickly, he definitely can have a Major League career.

More like MacDougal's trend. Wassermann was nails as soon as he was sent down, his ERA was below 1 up until a bad outing recently.

That said, I agree, I think Russell has a good shot at a solid major league career. I think the same applies to Wassermann as well, though Wass is still more of a setup guy or a ROOGY. Russell has potential to do more.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
More like MacDougal's trend. Wassermann was nails as soon as he was sent down, his ERA was below 1 up until a bad outing recently.

That said, I agree, I think Russell has a good shot at a solid major league career. I think the same applies to Wassermann as well, though Wass is still more of a setup guy or a ROOGY. Russell has potential to do more.

Wassermann's last 10 games: 11 IP, 5 ER, 6 K, 3 BB, 13 hits. Far from great. Granted, the one outing does ruin his stats.

Gartrell hit HRs in both games for the Barons today, worth noting.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:18 PM)
Wassermann's last 10 games: 11 IP, 5 ER, 6 K, 3 BB, 13 hits. Far from great. Granted, the one outing does ruin his stats.

Gartrell hit HRs in both games for the Barons today, worth noting.

He's a stone cold pimp hitting machine. One was to dead center. Didn't even look like it was going out, his homeruns tend to find some extra air and get out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
Gartrell is a legit prospect. It must be true if Heads and I agree.

I would call him a prospect, but not legit IMO. The word legit to me means that this player will likely play in the majors, and to me Gartrell is a journeyman at best. He doesn't have one plus tool and you really can't make the majors like that, especially as a corner outfielder who doesn't hit for a high average, have a ton of power or offer small ball and steal bases. Seems more like a DeWayne Wise type that will float around the minors and maybe one day see time as a fourth outfielder.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
I would call him a prospect, but not legit IMO. The word legit to me means that this player will likely play in the majors, and to me Gartrell is a journeyman at best. He doesn't have one plus tool and you really can't make the majors like that, especially as a corner outfielder who doesn't hit for a high average, have a ton of power or offer small ball and steal bases. Seems more like a DeWayne Wise type that will float around the minors and maybe one day see time as a fourth outfielder.

Gartrell has above above average speed, a plus arm, and average power. In general he was thought of as a very raw collegiate senior. The obvious concerns are his age and I'm not saying he's going to be a major leaguer, but he has the potential skill-set of a major leaguer (which is something you can't say about a lot of prospects).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Gartrell has above above average speed, a plus arm, and average power. In general he was thought of as a very raw collegiate senior. The obvious concerns are his age and I'm not saying he's going to be a major leaguer, but he has the potential skill-set of a major leaguer (which is something you can't say about a lot of prospects).

And very few Sox prospects. I get your point, he does have a nice skill set, so he may be one of those late bloomers. I hope so or at least get his trade value up to be shipped out.

Have to keep in mind with Gartrell that he basically skipped a level this year too.

He was tearing up Kannapolis last year. Then he got about a half cup of coffee at W-S late in the season.

So, basically he made a two step jump from low A-ball to AA in '08.

I think the second half of this season will tell us alot more about him than the first half did.