Tigers series coming up...

southsider2k5

A little perspective from the D-Town...

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2008...business_f.html

Tigers take care of business, focus on White Sox

by Steve Kornacki

Wednesday July 23, 2008, 10:00 PM

AP PhotoDetroit's Miguel Cabrera drove in 10 runs during the Tigers' three-game sweep of the Kansas City Royals.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Detroit Tigers took care of business on their road trip after the All-Star break, going 5-2 in Baltimore and Kansas City, where they completed a sweep of the Royals on Wednesday.

The next bit of business is a three-game weekend series at Comerica Park with the first-place Chicago White Sox. Detroit trails them by 5 1/2 games, and is only three games behind the second-place Minnesota Twins.

Detroit manager Jim Leyland acknowledged that this weekend's series can have an impact on the stretch run, but didn't want to make too much of it with more than two months remaining in the season.

"All I'm hoping for is to be somehow playing for something in September," Leyland said. "If we're playing for something in September, I'll be happy.

"I don't put a lot of emphasis on this series, that series, the next series."

The only major impact of the series will come from a sweep, enabling the Tigers to get on Chicago's heels or the White Sox to put them back at bay. Detroit's three-game sweep of the White Sox at Comerica, June 10-12, revived it after the 24-36 start.

"We made our bed and we have to get out of it," Leyland said. "The thing we have to do is continue playing as we have."

The Tigers are 28-13 since June 7.

The White Sox will leave Detroit for four games at Minnesota and finish a 10-game road trip with three games at Kansas City. Then they go home to host Detroit for three and Boston for four.

So, with Chicago in the nitty-gritty of its schedule, the opportunity will be there for the Tigers to make up ground.

Potential pitching help

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said his team will scout the early-August pitching showcase of free agent starter Freddy Garcia, 32, who is coming back from shoulder surgery.

"He's a guy we will go out and watch throw when he is ready to throw," Dombrowski said. "And that should probably be in the first week of August."

The big right-hander from Venezuela, a long-time friend and former teammate of Detroit third baseman Carlos Guillen, was 1-5 with a 5.90 ERA last year while pitching with a bad shoulder and making $10 million with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Garcia was 117-76 with a 4.07 ERA in nine seasons with Seattle, the Chicago White Sox and Phillies. He was 17-9 for the Sox two years ago and made the 2001 and 2002 All-Star teams.

The New York Post recently reported that the Tigers, Phillies, White Sox, Yankees, Mets, Astros, Rangers, Royals and Red Sox are interested in Garcia. He is 5-2 with a 3.11 ERA in nine postseason starts, and isn't expected to be ready to pitch in games until September.

Relying on Robertson

Nate Robertson (6-8, 5.69 ERA) starts the opener of the Chicago series Friday against Gavin Floyd (10-6, 3.52), the White Sox wins leader. Robertson gave up a 6-0 lead in his last start at Baltimore, and has lost three of his last four starts. He had one brilliant outing, allowing one run in nine innings at Seattle, but had a 12.15 ERA in the other three.

"Maintaining the rhythm he had in Seattle would be good," Leyland said. "It was: get the sign, go, boom. He's not an over-powering guy, but a good major league pitcher with plenty of equipment to get better results than he gets."

Odds & ends

The Royals went 15 consecutive innings without a run during a stretch in the final two games of the series ... Tigers shortstop Edgar Renteria had back-to-back two-hit games and appears to be coming out of his slump ... Placido Polanco his hitting .359 during his eight-game hitting streak.

After the offensive display of Tue and Wed plus the Wed game being a comeback win just might have this team propped for a great 10 game road trip. I am betting on it. I think Sunday's game is on WGN so I will be watching.

Edited by elrockinMT

Oh, I think it is quite safe to say our season balances on this road trip.

We have a chance to put our two nearest threats down a hole they can't climb out of. Four games in Minny? We only play Detroit once in August after this and Minny not until September.

These are almost playoff-caliber games. Let's hope for the best.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
We have bulletin board material when the Tigers said they weren't impressed with us last time we were there.

If the Sox need bulletin board material, assuming bulletin board material is slamming their team, they need not look further than this board. There's been enough material here since they have been in first place to last about 10 seasons of cellar dwelling.

QUOTE (spiffalicious @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
I will be at the games on Saturday & Sunday. I'll wear my lucky Quentin jersey, so that should help them win :lolhitting

The important thing will be that Quentin is wearing his jersey.

What are the pitching matchups this weekend?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)

mlb.com says

Floyd vs. Robertson

Danks vs. Zoolander

Vazquez vs. Miner

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)

I believe:

Floyd vs Robertson

Danks vs Verlander

Javy vs Miner

EDIT- Been beaten to it.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
mlb.com says

Floyd vs. Robertson

Danks vs. Zoolander

Vazquez vs. Miner

I think we'll win the first two and have a good shot at the third one.

A Sweep would be f'ing beautiful.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
If we go 2-8 or worse on this trip as Ginger Kid says, that's the season. Let's hope not.

No way. I think at worst 5-5. And I have a good feeling we are going to be more like 8-2. How ya like that for optimism?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)

I'm usually one of the most optimistic posters on the site. But I think you being overly optimistic. The Tigers are hot right now, and have been playing good ball for quite awhile and they are at home against the Sox who have less than stellar on the road. I HOPE we win 2 out of 3.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)

Your decision wouldn't have anything to do with Javy pitching the last game does it?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
I'm usually one of the most optimistic posters on the site. But I think you being overly optimistic. The Tigers are hot right now, and have been playing good ball for quite awhile and they are at home against the Sox who have less than stellar on the road. I HOPE we win 2 out of 3.

F the Tigers...they are in trouble. Time to kill.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
I agree with your sentiments.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Its not over until we says its over.

Sheffield? Dead.

Ordonez? Dead.

Verlander? Dead.

Neidermeyer? Dead.

Edited by tonyho7476