Chandra Levy murder

southsider2k5

I don't know if anyone else has been reading this or not, but it is really interesting. The Washington Post has been running a 13 part series on the Chandra Levy murders and investigation. There is a lot of interesting info in here that I had never heard before. 12 of the parts are up, the last part goes up tomorrow.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro...ndra/index.html

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Very good read. Anyone know what happened with Natalee Hollaway's case?

No body, no witnesses, no case.

The dutch kid knew what he was doing. And now he is in college studying to become a judge

To be fair to the police, the story only highlights all the unproductive leads they did chase down. While it may have taken 3 weeks for this or a week for that, they may have pursued 100 other leads.

I started the story thinking Condit was involved, slam dunk, and got away with murder. (Hey, he's from California)

I came away from the story thinking he didn't do it and the police were kind of in a bad place. If they looked elsewhere, it would seem like political pressure, even if there were other, credible suspects.

Thanks SS for posting the link. Great read and I would have missed it.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:19 PM)
To be fair to the police, the story only highlights all the unproductive leads they did chase down. While it may have taken 3 weeks for this or a week for that, they may have pursued 100 other leads.

I started the story thinking Condit was involved, slam dunk, and got away with murder. (Hey, he's from California)

I came away from the story thinking he didn't do it and the police were kind of in a bad place. If they looked elsewhere, it would seem like political pressure, even if there were other, credible suspects.

Thanks SS for posting the link. Great read and I would have missed it.

Well I'm referring to that one guy tampering with Chandra's laptop when he wasn't a computer guy at all.

Or bones being moved around in the park and the cops not finding it.

Or the police interrogator who talked to the Hispanic man and even asked if he knew or saw Chandra Levy. The guy said he had seen her, but they went no further in questioning the man and the interogator never said a thing to other police officials. Seems like the screwups were big.

I did go walking away thinking Condit might have had nothing to do with it and it was just a random homicide. I think the reason why he never reported Chandra missing because of the affair he was having. It would ruin his life.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
All those things were mistakes, no doubt. Sad how close they probably were to nailing the guy.

Often times in cases like this, they know who did it but they screw up so bad they can't prosecute.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
Often times in cases like this, they know who did it but they screw up so bad they can't prosecute.

This case would be a perfect example. If they tried to prosecute the guy from the park, Condit would be their reasonable doubt. It wouldn't even be close with a jury. Unless the guy confessed, he would get off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 07:36 AM)
This case would be a perfect example. If they tried to prosecute the guy from the park, Condit would be their reasonable doubt. It wouldn't even be close with a jury. Unless the guy confessed, he would get off.

And it shows how the media controls cases. If Condit was the guy, the media would be heroes for keeping the pressure on the police on behave of the family and Levy. If he's not, they are goats for distracting the police and forcing them to check false leads and theories.

• 6 months later...

Bump

-- Police are close to making an arrest in the Chandra Levy murder case, according to CNN affiliate KGO.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9022100486.html

Reports: Arrest Close in Slaying of Chandra Levy

Multiple news outlets in Washington, D.C., California say an arrest may be near in the slaying of the former federal intern who disappered in May 2001. Sources say D.C. police are close to issuing an arrest warrant.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
And it shows how the media controls cases. If Condit was the guy, the media would be heroes for keeping the pressure on the police on behave of the family and Levy. If he's not, they are goats for distracting the police and forcing them to check false leads and theories.

I'll defend the media a little bit. If there are goats here, its the police for allowing the case to be controlled by the press and themselves to be distracted to that degree. Condit did have an affair with her and then initially lied about it. That was a factual story for the media to pursue, even if it did get the sensational 24/7 "Hard Copy" treatment. Condit made himself the focus of media and police scrutiny. Even so, good cops shouldn't be swayed by the Enquirer or Connie Chung.

In any event, IIRC from the Post series (I didn't reread it) it sounds like the cops were just plain unlucky in not finding the body sooner, which would have put them in the right direction much faster. If that was due to incompetence, it had nothing to do with the media.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

• 2 years later...

Another follow up... I hadn't heard about the conviction or sentencing until the other day...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41529499/ns/us...ime_and_courts/

WASHINGTON — The man convicted of killing Washington intern Chandra Levy nearly a decade ago was sentenced Friday to 60 years in prison.

In November, a jury convicted Ingmar Guandique of first-degree murder in Levy's 2001 disappearance and death, despite a lack of witnesses and no DNA evidence linking him to the crime.

Most popular

Al-Qaida confirms bin Laden's death

Bin Laden wife: I didn't leave hideout for 5 years

Protesters condemn 'brutal killing' of bin Laden

Analyst: Bin Laden not easily replaceable

US officials: Al-Qaida had trains in its sights

Levy's mother, Susan Levy, asked Guandique directly if he had been responsible for her daughter's death. He shook his head.

"Mr. Guandique, you are lower than a cockroach," Susan Levy told Guandique, before closing her statement by using the F-word.

Guandique, wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, told the judge in Spanish that he was sorry for what happened. But, he added, "I had nothing to do with it. I am innocent."

Levy's disappearance became a national sensation after she was romantically linked to then-California Rep. Gary Condit. Police initially focused on Condit as a suspect. But after Levy's remains were found in Rock Creek Park, police shifted their focus to Guandique, who was already serving a prison sentence for attacking female joggers in the park in the same time frame Levy disappeared.

Image: Chandra Levy

Washington, D.C. police via Reuters

This photo of Chandra Levy was released by police during their search for clues into her murder.

The District of Columbia Superior Court judge also rejected Guandique's request for a new trial. His lawyers had argued Guandique should be granted a new trial because jurors improperly shared notes in reaching a verdict. They also argued prosecutors improperly appealed to the jury's emotions and facts that weren't part of trial evidence in making a graphic closing argument.

In response, prosecutors said the sharing of juror notes, if it happened, was at most a technical violation that did not substantially affect the trial's outcome.

Prosecutors had asked for a life prison sentence, arguing that Guandique showed no remorse and had a history of violence toward women. They said Guandique, an illegal immigrant from El Salvador, fled his village in that country as a teenager because he was suspected of attacking a woman at knifepoint.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:54 PM)
No body, no witnesses, no case.

The dutch kid knew what he was doing. And now he is in college studying to become a judge

I thought they caught him after killing 2 other people in Malaysia or something?

Edit: NM, looks like he's taken it back. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39023617/ns/us...ime_and_courts/

Edited by Jenksismybitch