2009 Free Agent Class

Kalapse

I would love to somehow get Sheets next off-season. Trade Vaz to some NL team for crap prospects. And give Contreras up if you can, if not, pitch him in the pen. But have Mark-Sheets-Danks-Floyd-Richard (or even Contreras). Sheets seems like the type who would come here. But he would be a hell of a sign.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone who might be more reasonable than Sheets is a guy like Brad Penny. Personally I think I have had enough of both Vazquez and Contreras and even though both are under contract next year I definitely wouldnt shed any tears if one or both are gone. Penny would be able to fill in the gap for one of them atleast and be a potential ace.

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
So after this year, who won't be returning to the Sox?

Crede, Thome, Griffey Jr, Cabrera?

Others?

Thome's option vests with about 30 more games.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
I can see either Furcal, Hudson or Ellis being one of KW's main targets this off-season. Solidfy that middle infield with Ramirez being in one of the spots, unless they want to turn it over to Danny.

Not sure if you're joking or not. In case you weren't, Richar was traded for Griffey.

Looks like an excellent group of candidates for a 1-2 yr stopgap at 2nd base until Beckam is ready.

Hudson

Grudz

Durham

Gooch

Ellis too, but I imagine he'll command a longer contract.

Furcal would be great, except I bet someone will offer more years than we do.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
Not sure if you're joking or not. In case you weren't, Richar was traded for Griffey.

Looks like an excellent group of candidates for a 1-2 yr stopgap at 2nd base until Beckam is ready.

Hudson

Grudz

Durham

Gooch

His Richar mention was pre-trade.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)

Hudson

Grudz

Durham

Gooch

The only one I'd really be interested in out of that entire group would be Hudson. Durham would be alright for a 1 year deal. But, I want absolutely no part of Ellis or Grudz, and Gooch won't be brought back. If you want Ellis-like production, I guarantee you Getz could hit .235 with 10 homers and 30 rbi, like Ellis is doing so far this year. Same with Iguchi.

Edited by dasox24

Yeah I don't think I want Getz at 2B next year...I want him in the majors sitting on the bench and playing 3B, SS, and 2B as a backup, but I don't want him starting. I also think people generally underestimate Mark Ellis...he's hitting .235 and has an OPS over .700, thanks to a .090 IsoOBP and a .140 IsoSLG. He gets on base and he gets extra base hits. If he hits even .260, you are looking at probably a .750-.775 OPS, and on top of it, he plays exceptional defense at 2B.

Mentioned or not, the 3 players I'd be interested in are Hudson, Ellis, and Furcal, in that order, assuming Alexei can play a pretty damn good shortstop.

I think KW is already planning on make a run at either Orlando Hudson or try for Brian Roberts again. It appears that they have already made their minds that Alexi is going to be the starting SS and they are looking to pair another speedy lead off hitter type at 2B. They already tried to do this when they almost traded Ocab to the dodgers, moving alexi to SS and using the prospects from LA to get Roberts from the O's. I think its pretty obvious that the sox would love to strengthen their up the middle D for 2009, especially if we are going to live with fields at 3B. Alexi at SS, Roberts/Hudson at 2B, Swisher at 1B, and Anderson/Wise in CF, with Konerko/Thome DHing seems to be the best route here. It would also give us a pure leadoff hitter in Roberts or Hudson and Alexi is maturing into a nice high AVG, placido polanco like, #2 hitter. Then follow that with CQ, Dye, Konerko/Thome, Fields, and AJ and u still have plenty of power in the lineup.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:41 AM)
I think KW is already planning on make a run at either Orlando Hudson or try for Brian Roberts again. It appears that they have already made their minds that Alexi is going to be the starting SS and they are looking to pair another speedy lead off hitter type at 2B. They already tried to do this when they almost traded Ocab to the dodgers, moving alexi to SS and using the prospects from LA to get Roberts from the O's. I think its pretty obvious that the sox would love to strengthen their up the middle D for 2009, especially if we are going to live with fields at 3B. Alexi at SS, Roberts/Hudson at 2B, Swisher at 1B, and Anderson/Wise in CF, with Konerko/Thome DHing seems to be the best route here. It would also give us a pure leadoff hitter in Roberts or Hudson and Alexi is maturing into a nice high AVG, placido polanco like, #2 hitter. Then follow that with CQ, Dye, Konerko/Thome, Fields, and AJ and u still have plenty of power in the lineup.

That's a pretty bad lineup. Swisher's offense is below average for a 1st baseman, and you know that Anderson will never get handed the starting spot in CF.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
That's a pretty bad lineup. Swisher's offense is below average for a 1st baseman, and you know that Anderson will never get handed the starting spot in CF.

I think Konerko could very easily be given the 1B job again next season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)

There is still some room to add power in CF. I dont care if its BA or not. Griffey or someone else can play center who brings in some good pop to the lineup. The point was about the orientation of the infeld.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)

Roberts

Ramirez

Quentin

Dye

Thome

Pierzynski

Swisher

Fields

Anderson

I don't know, man. I wouldn't say that's a "pretty bad" lineup. That's definitely a lineup that could win a division if the pitching pitches like it did the 1st half of the season.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:17 AM)
Roberts

Ramirez

Quentin

Dye

Thome

Pierzynski

Swisher

Fields

Anderson

I don't know, man. I wouldn't say that's a "pretty bad" lineup. That's definitely a lineup that could win a division if the pitching pitches like it did the 1st half of the season.

I don't think you can count on that though.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
The only one I'd really be interested in out of that entire group would be Hudson. Durham would be alright for a 1 year deal. But, I want absolutely no part of Ellis or Grudz, and Gooch won't be brought back. If you want Ellis-like production, I guarantee you Getz could hit .235 with 10 homers and 30 rbi, like Ellis is doing so far this year. Same with Iguchi.

What's with the dislike for Grudzielanek? He mashes LHPs and his AVG alone is always hovering around .300. He'd be a great #2, #8, or #9 hitter.

BTW- what does everyone think of possibly bringing back Garland, at the right price?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)
I don't like it. That bottom third has the potential to be really bad. I am a fan of all 3 of them, but all 3 of them have had 2008's they would like to forget(Anderson is doing a pretty good job in his role I suppose). I still want Ramirez at the bottom of the order. Not because I don't like him, but it balances out the lineup. Also with Roberts, the O's a f***tards, so it's going to cost a few good pieces to acquire him. I'd rather dish out the money(the Sox have it) for Hudson and/or Furcal.

I never said that was the lineup I wanted. Just using the potential lineup joeynach threw out there, and pointing out that it's not a "really bad" lineup like fathom said. Yeah, it may not be great, but if the f***ing Twins can win with the lineup they have, then that team could win a bunch too.

I agree with you that I'd rather keep Ramirez in the 7,8, or 9 spot b/c he really has thrived there, but again, just using what the other post gave. My personal favorite set of moves (which you may have 1st mentioned, Tony) would be signing Furcal and Hudson, and sticking Alexi in CF. The top of our lineup would be great with Furcal and O-Dog setting the table in the 1-2 spots followed by Quentin, Dye, and likely Thome. A bottom of the order consisting of Swisher, Alexi, and Fields has the potential to be really good.

If Swish gets back to his career averages, and there's no reason to believe he won't, then you're going to have a 6 or 7 hitter that's hitting .250-.260 with 25-30 HR's, ~90 RBI, and an OBP of .380. That's pretty damn good. Alexi should go nowhere but up, and anything from Fields hitting 9th is gravy.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:44 AM)
What's with the dislike for Grudzielanek? He mashes LHPs and his AVG alone is always hovering around .300. He'd be a great #2, #8, or #9 hitter.

BTW- what does everyone think of possibly bringing back Garland, at the right price?

He'll be 39 next year, meaning he's only a 1 year stopgap. I'd rather have someone a little more permanent like signing Hudson or Furcal to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Oh, and before anyone says something about only needing a 1 or 2 year stopgap before Beckham comes up, you can't plan ahead for "prospects" that haven't played any minor league ball. Plus, with KW as our GM, you can sure as hell believe he'll be making moves for the team to win now as he always does, which means Beckham will be the last thing on his mind. If Beckham does tear it up, he wouldn't even be in the bigs until 2 years from now at the earliest, and at that point I'm sure Hudson or Furcal would still be very trade-able.

Edited by dasox24

Is it really that unrealistic to think that Beckham could become a 3Bman? That just seems like the logical jump to me, because if he moves from SS due to defense, it's because of his range and not of his throwing arm, and so long as his bat projects pretty well, he should move to 3B. I don't think that was necessarily the plan so much as just adding more athletes to the organization, but potentially being able to move him around anywhere in the infield is nice flexibility to have.

My two must gets would be Orlando Hudson and Casey Blake. Both are plus 800-OPS guys who are great people, as well. Slide them into 3rd and second and move Alexei to SS.

Those would be great upgrades to our offense. Somehow resolve the Swish/Konerko thing and find a CF through a trade of Fields + Swisher plus anything else, and try to get a defensive minded CF with speed. But we need to add some speed and natural hitters to the lineup for balance. This homer lineup is great at home, but on the road, we can't manufacture runs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
Is it really that unrealistic to think that Beckham could become a 3Bman? That just seems like the logical jump to me, because if he moves from SS due to defense, it's because of his range and not of his throwing arm, and so long as his bat projects pretty well, he should move to 3B. I don't think that was necessarily the plan so much as just adding more athletes to the organization, but potentially being able to move him around anywhere in the infield is nice flexibility to have.

I could see Beckham potentially at 3B, but I think his bat fits more into 2B. Beckham put up huge power numbers at Georgia, but I don't see that power translating with wood. If everything goes as planned, I see Beckham as a Michael Young type except with more power and less average.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
My two must gets would be Orlando Hudson and Casey Blake. Both are plus 800-OPS guys who are great people, as well. Slide them into 3rd and second and move Alexei to SS.

Those would be great upgrades to our offense. Somehow resolve the Swish/Konerko thing and find a CF through a trade of Fields + Swisher plus anything else, and try to get a defensive minded CF with speed. But we need to add some speed and natural hitters to the lineup for balance. This homer lineup is great at home, but on the road, we can't manufacture runs.

I think this is a fantastic idea, except for trading Swisher. I know he has had a down year offensively, but if he got back to his normal averages (and there's no reason to believe he won't), he would be a superb player for us. But, back to your idea of Hudson and Blake: I think both would fit in perfectly on this team. Hudson is an ideal #2 hitter and Blake would be very nice in the 6 or 7 spot. My main concern is who would lead off for us next year. Can Hudson lead off? If not, I don't think Alexi would be a good leadoff hitter. Do we want Swish leading off again? I don't think so. I guess we'd have to hope to acquire a CF'er who can lead-off.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
I could see Beckham potentially at 3B, but I think his bat fits more into 2B. Beckham put up huge power numbers at Georgia, but I don't see that power translating with wood. If everything goes as planned, I see Beckham as a Michael Young type except with more power and less average.

so...he's really not Michael Young at all

he's really much more like Mark Ellis