2009 Free Agent Class

Kalapse

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:15 AM)
Beckham hit 9 homers in the cape cod league last year (which led the league i believe) and they use wood bats. Not saying he's gonna be a huge power guy but i think he will have above average power for whatever position he ends up at.

I actually have a feeling he could be Longoria-lite...which is why I feel he's perfectly acceptable for 3B, given that his arm is adequate.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
My two must gets would be Orlando Hudson and Casey Blake. Both are plus 800-OPS guys who are great people, as well. Slide them into 3rd and second and move Alexei to SS.

Those would be great upgrades to our offense. Somehow resolve the Swish/Konerko thing and find a CF through a trade of Fields + Swisher plus anything else, and try to get a defensive minded CF with speed. But we need to add some speed and natural hitters to the lineup for balance. This homer lineup is great at home, but on the road, we can't manufacture runs.

I've been thinking about this move for a CF with speed, I would really like to see the Sox go after Alex Rios who has had a down year. He can play CF and has speed, plus CF in Chicago is much easier than Toronto. You would have to move Swisher in this deal because Toronto would need someone like that right away (and he is a Riccardi guy because of his OBP). So I would think you could make a move of Swisher + Fields + Poreda for Rios and probably obtain him, not sure if that's enough, but if would give the Blue Jays some ML ready talent. And Swish is the same age as Rios and has a OPS barely below his. You would get your CF/leadoff hitter, though not a high OBP guy, but someone with speed. Plus, he is only 27, so still in the prime of his career. The lineup with the other additions look like this:

1. Alex Rios (CF) R

2. Orlando Hudson (2b) L

3. Carlos Quentin (RF) R

4. Jim Thome (DH) L

5. Jermaine Dye (RF) R

6. A.J. Pierzynski © L

7. Paul Konerko (1b) R

8. Alexei Ramirez (SS) R

9. Casey Blake (3B) R

If you could somehow move Konerko for garbage, but get someone to pick up his salary and get someone a little more mobile at first that would be great, but probably unlikely. This lineup has speed at the top, power the next few guys and then solid hitters at the end. I would love this lineup and I don't think it's too far-fetched. Fathom, please read and respond because I would like your opinion on Rios and possibly obtaining him. (I guess I value your opinion pretty well).

I could see a deal in the offseason that if Tex signs elsewhere, the Sox send Konerko, Anderson and a spect to the Angels for Sarge Jr and Figgins. I think that the Sox will be outbid for the O-Dawg, who would be a perfect fit. Then KW can pursue someone like Blake, McPherson, Grudz, or whomever. Figgins gives a solid lead-off option and base stealing threat and can play 2B or 3B and OF if needed. GMJ is an above average fielder who would solidify the Sox's defense up the middle.

2B Figgins/Durham/?

1B Swisher

LF Quentin

RF Dye

DH Thome

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

3B Fields/Blake/Figgins

CF GMJ

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:35 AM)
I actually have a feeling he could be Longoria-lite...which is why I feel he's perfectly acceptable for 3B, given that his arm is adequate.

But if you can get that type of power from a MI, it is silly to move him to a power position unless you have some stud already there. I think that Beckhams ceiling could be a RH Chase Utley and his floor is probably around Josh Barfield from his rookie season. I think that Field's progress between now and next season will determine if Beckham has a move to the corner IF in his future.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
I could see a deal in the offseason that if Tex signs elsewhere, the Sox send Konerko, Anderson and a spect to the Angels for Sarge Jr and Figgins. I think that the Sox will be outbid for the O-Dawg, who would be a perfect fit. Then KW can pursue someone like Blake, McPherson, Grudz, or whomever. Figgins gives a solid lead-off option and base stealing threat and can play 2B or 3B and OF if needed. GMJ is an above average fielder who would solidify the Sox's defense up the middle.

2B Figgins/Durham/?

1B Swisher

LF Quentin

RF Dye

DH Thome

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

3B Fields/Blake/Figgins

CF GMJ

Ugh, I hate the idea of having that over-paid steroid freak being a starter for us...

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
But if you can get that type of power from a MI, it is silly to move him to a power position unless you have some stud already there. I think that Beckhams ceiling could be a RH Chase Utley and his floor is probably around Josh Barfield from his rookie season. I think that Field's progress between now and next season will determine if Beckham has a move to the corner IF in his future.

unless of course you have players at those positions that are better defensively, good offensively, and Beckham is poor defensively at 2B but good at 3B.

Due to the fact now that Contreras will likely not be back for a while, and we only have 4 starters set in stone for next season, I think the possibility of us going and signing a pitcher have increased by a lot. And the most likely candidate I see us going after is Garland.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
Due to the fact now that Contreras will likely not be back for a while, and we only have 4 starters set in stone for next season, I think the possibility of us going and signing a pitcher have increased by a lot. And the most likely candidate I see us going after is Garland.

Problem is though, Contreras is on the books for $10-plus million, so adding another high priced pitcher with two already at over $10 million is probably not gonna happen. My best guess is that the Sox try to make another Floyd type move.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
Problem is though, Contreras is on the books for $10-plus million, so adding another high priced pitcher with two already at over $10 million is probably not gonna happen. My best guess is that the Sox try to make another Floyd type move.

baseball teams have insurance on players for this type of thing. Therefore if contreras goes on the 60 day insurance kicks in. That stated, nobody will help out the whitesox. your not getting anyone except crap players or garcia types.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)

Contreras' salary will be off the books after 09 though, so basically we'd just be eating his 10 million for one year (and if there is insurance, we might only have to lose 4-5 million). Plus, I don't really see us going after any other big name free agents except the O-Dog (but I think the odds of him not staying with Arizona are slim).

So, we have around 18-20 million likely coming off the books with Cabrera, Crede, and Uribe (and possibly Toby if we buyout his contract). The gives us enough to make one big signing like Garland, and couple minor signings.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)

the White Sox won't sign a pitcher to a 5 year deal and that's what Garland will command.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
the White Sox won't sign a pitcher to a 5 year deal and that's what Garland will command.

I would much rather spend alittle bit more on a guy like Sheets. I know he has a history of getting hurt every year. But this guy would be the ACE we need. I also wouldnt' be surprised to see Vazquez moved this offseason, maybe for a young starter (Floyd type move perhaps?)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)

And Garland has stated that he does not want to come back.

"If they wanted me they would have kept me"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
the White Sox won't sign a pitcher to a 5 year deal

That pretty much nails it. Mark was the exception, and he had to come down to less than his market value for it to happen. And even then, it almost didn't get done. Jerry Reinsdorf & Co. tend to max out at around $35 million for pitchers.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
That pretty much nails it. Mark was the exception, and he had to come down to less than his market value for it to happen. And even then, it almost didn't get done. Jerry Reinsdorf & Co. tend to max out at around $35 million for pitchers.

Mark signed a 4 year deal too with options; if he gets traded it becomes a 5 year deal, but even the best pitcher for the Sox in the past 10 years didn't get a 5 year deal...why would the Sox sign Garland to a 5 year deal? If anything, Garland is lucky he's been pitching in Anaheim this year and not Chicago, because if he were in Chicago, his ERA would probably be in the 4.5-5 range; his H/9 is up, his BB/9 is up, his K/9 is down, his HR/9 is up, and he's actually been a very average pitcher this season (technically, slightly below average...league ERA is 4.25 and his is 4.28).

I think any team that signs Garland is going to regret it 2 years into the deal; they better hope they got him for 3 or maybe even 4 years rather than 5. Same goes for CC Sabathia too.

I would also like to kindly ask people to stop suggesting that the Sox are going to sign a big-name or even semi-big-name starting pitcher via free agency. Those players are looking to make bank and that's something the Sox will not provide them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
Mark signed a 4 year deal too with options; if he gets traded it becomes a 5 year deal, but even the best pitcher for the Sox in the past 10 years didn't get a 5 year deal...why would the Sox sign Garland to a 5 year deal? If anything, Garland is lucky he's been pitching in Anaheim this year and not Chicago, because if he were in Chicago, his ERA would probably be in the 4.5-5 range; his H/9 is up, his BB/9 is up, his K/9 is down, his HR/9 is up, and he's actually been a very average pitcher this season (technically, slightly below average...league ERA is 4.25 and his is 4.28).

I think any team that signs Garland is going to regret it 2 years into the deal; they better hope they got him for 3 or maybe even 4 years rather than 5. Same goes for CC Sabathia too.

I greatly appreciate everything that Jon did for this team. That said, I agree that he's not that great. For some reason, he never developed a good offspeed pitch. And because he can't keep hitters off-balance by changing speed, he's ultra-reliant on command. If he's not locating that sinker or two-seamer and gets behind in the count, hitters will sit on his fastball and pound the crap out of it.

I would also like to kindly ask people to stop suggesting that the Sox are going to sign a big-name or even semi-big-name starting pitcher via free agency. Those players are looking to make bank and that's something the Sox will not provide them.

+1,000,000

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
I greatly appreciate everything that Jon did for this team. That said, I agree that he's not that great. For some reason, he never developed a good offspeed pitch. And because he can't keep hitters off-balance by changing speed, he's ultra-reliant on command. If he's not locating that sinker or two-seamer and gets behind in the count, hitters will sit on his fastball and pound the crap out of it.

+1,000,000

Which is my real "sore point" about 2003, not the Ritchie trade which killed our depth (along with injuries and non-performance), but the single biggest swing in players was us bypassing Kenny Rogers as the 5th starter...a relatively cheap signing which paid off huge for the Twins and left us one pitcher short. I can't remember what his contract was that year, but it wasn't that large, as he had yet to truly resurrect his career at that point.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
I would much rather spend alittle bit more on a guy like Sheets. I know he has a history of getting hurt every year. But this guy would be the ACE we need. I also wouldnt' be surprised to see Vazquez moved this offseason, maybe for a young starter (Floyd type move perhaps?)

:chair I'll pass. IMO, he is having one of those seasons when it's an injury-riddled SPs contract year when he stays healthy for all of/most of the season, gets a huge deal, and then isn't healthy ever again except a few starts here and there.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)

They really hate Renteria in DET, almost as much as they have turned on Leyland, Sheffield and Doug Jones.

It would be ironic if we replaced one Colombian for another, being that they are the only two players from their country, and they basically had a falling out and hate each other now (wonder if that was also over a call to the box reversing an error on Cabrera and taking away a single from Edgar???)

I just read the article. The author reached the obvious conclusion that Ordonez (at 34) is their most marketable/tradeable player at this point...and, also, that if he stays healthy, they will have his $15 million dollar options vest in 2010 and 2011 when his contract takes a turn for the Alphonso Soriano universe (due to Magglio's age and weight/body type/injury issues).

They do have to wait until Porcello and Ryan and some of their other pitchers mature. Luckily, Andrew Miller and J. Jurrgens were traded out of the division, so we can still deal with Robertson, Verlander and Bonderman.

Maybe the White Sox will take a shot at Kenny Rogers? We passed him (a lot of teams did) in 2003 and then again when he came to DET, and he made remarkable comebacks, although this will undoubtedly be his last.

For the Tigers to become competitive again, they really need for Dontrelle Willis to get his head screwed on straight...otherwise, they will have to dump Miguel Cabrera or Ordonez and completely rebuild.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
They really hate Renteria in DET, almost as much as they have turned on Leyland, Sheffield and Doug Jones.

It would be ironic if we replaced one Colombian for another, being that they are the only two players from their country, and they basically had a falling out and hate each other now (wonder if that was also over a call to the box reversing an error on Cabrera and taking away a single from Edgar???)

I just read the article. The author reached the obvious conclusion that Ordonez (at 34) is their most marketable/tradeable player at this point...and, also, that if he stays healthy, they will have his $15 million dollar options vest in 2010 and 2011 when his contract takes a turn for the Alphonso Soriano universe (due to Magglio's age and weight/body type/injury issues).

They do have to wait until Porcello and Ryan and some of their other pitchers mature. Luckily, Andrew Miller and J. Jurrgens were traded out of the division, so we can still deal with Robertson, Verlander and Bonderman.

Maybe the White Sox will take a shot at Kenny Rogers? We passed him (a lot of teams did) in 2003 and then again when he came to DET, and he made remarkable comebacks, although this will undoubtedly be his last.

For the Tigers to become competitive again, they really need for Dontrelle Willis to get his head screwed on straight...otherwise, they will have to dump Miguel Cabrera or Ordonez and completely rebuild.

I don't see Kenny Rogers coming to the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
Which is my real "sore point" about 2003, not the Ritchie trade which killed our depth (along with injuries and non-performance), but the single biggest swing in players was us bypassing Kenny Rogers as the 5th starter...a relatively cheap signing which paid off huge for the Twins and left us one pitcher short. I can't remember what his contract was that year, but it wasn't that large, as he had yet to truly resurrect his career at that point.

I recall the White Sox said they were willing to offer $3 mill but Boras felt he could get more; I'd imagine that when Boras found out he couldn't get that much for Rogers, the Sox felt confident in their rotation and he took the next best offer, which was from Minnesota.

Rogers is a dick anyways.

Apparently Rocco Baldelli is going to be a FA after this season because he had his options declined (this according to MLBtraderumors). He would be an interesting buy low candidate with his injury issues and health concerns. If healthy, he is the perfect player to balance our offense. He is a terrific defensive playe with great speed to be a solid leadoff hitter or an very good 7 or 8 hitter. At 26 years old, if you could sign him to an incentive-laden deal of maybe 2 years guarenteed for $12 million and with enough at-bats it could be a three or four year deal worth much more. If you had a healthy Baldelli with our core of Q, Alexei and then soon Beckham (hopefully) that is a pretty nice core for awhile. Just a thought with Baldelli as he could be a terrific asset.

EDIT: I think 2-years, $12 million might be a little too much with his issues, but you get the idea.

Edited by maggsmaggs