2009 Free Agent Class

Kalapse

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
Nothing new or interesting to report today so far...just that the "mystery" team involved with Furcal might very well be either the Indians or Twins, but there's no confirmation of that, and I think both teams will end up being outbid in the end by the Giants, Dodgers or A's, not to mention the Mets or the Cardinals.

When was the last time the Cardinals outbid anybody?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
Well, they re-signed Cris Carpenter to that crazy deal....then watched him miss almost two full seasons. But, in general, I'd agree...the Cardinals free spending ways ended about five years ago. More recently, they've gone the Todd Wellemeyer/Kip Wells route, to mixed results.

If "Mixed results" = a world series within the last 3 years, I think most teams would take those "mixed results".

Their key of course remains the inhuman monster they have manning 1b.

I meant the performances out of some of those "fliers" they took...especially Wellemeyer and Kip Wells, although even the likes of Cal Eldred come to mind.

No doubt, Pujols is one of the top players in the game. Although that 83 win season doesn't scream "success," the strange post-season of 2006, with the Tigers' pitchers developing simultaneous "brain cramps," is hard to argue against.

When St. Louis, Atlanta and Cleveland, teams that had traditionally strong fan support (especially STL, win or lose) in the previous decade started acting like "mid-market" teams, that signalled a new era in modern-day baseball. Then again, teams like KC and Milwaukee are showing with some of their moves that the revenue sharing is having an effect in a positive way. That and the fact that Yankee dollars aren't dominant anymore.

Rosenthal says the Dodgers aren't likely to sign Rafael Furcal and aren't pursuing Orlando Cabrera or Edgar Renteria. He notes that four teams are in on Cabrera. mlbtraderumors.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
Bobby Howry signs with the Giants, 1 year, $2.75 million. Edgar Renteria is closing in on a 2 year deal with the Giants.

Trever Miller

(Formerly of the Rays) signed a 1 year deal with the Cardinals.

Former Brewer Russel Branyan signed a 1 year deal with the Mariners.

The Giants were one of four teams in on Cabrera.

The Dodgers would be the best bet, they don't want to pay Furcal's asking price or years. Or the Twins could factor in, although if they sign Blake, I don't know if they will bring in two pretty high-priced FA's in one offseason. I'll be somewhat shocked if it occurs.

You also never know, the Tigers could also be interested in O-Cab, but they seem to be in cost-cutting mode, even considering dealing Ordonez unless they can figure out what to do with Willis. Carlos Guillen's also getting up there in age (I say that more in terms of wear and tear on his body), Sheffield, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
The Dodgers would be the best bet, they don't want to pay Furcal's asking price or years. Or the Twins could factor in, although if they sign Blake, I don't know if they will bring in two pretty high-priced FA's in one offseason. I'll be somewhat shocked if it occurs.

The Dodgers have that beautiful looking #17 pick in next year's draft that makes me really, really want them to sign Cabrera.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
The Dodgers have that beautiful looking #17 pick in next year's draft that makes me really, really want them to sign Cabrera.

Quick question, confused by the whole compensation thing. So if a team signs your type A free agent, you get their first round draft pick?? So if the Nationals signed Texieria, the Angles would get the #1 overall pick from them? Sounds like a lot to give up for the free agent signing..

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Quick question, confused by the whole compensation thing. So if a team signs your type A free agent, you get their first round draft pick?? So if the Nationals signed Texieria, the Angles would get the #1 overall pick from them? Sounds like a lot to give up for the free agent signing..

No. The first 15 picks are protected. If you're drafting #1 and you sign a type A free agent, you lose your 2nd round pick, not your first round pick. Same thing for any pick between 1-15. If you're drafting #15 and you sign a type A free agent, you lose your 2nd round pick. If you're drafting #16 and you sign a type A FA, you lose your first round pick.

The nerve in Chris Carpenter’s right shoulder has shown enough growth and improvement that he should be able to begin a throwing program before the end of January, GM John Mozeliak said.

Carpenter underwent a test on the shoulder Thursday. "It was a very positive report," Mozeliak said. "The nerve is healing, healing at the normal rate. He has regained his shoulder strength almost to the level of what he had before he had this issue." The Cards hope that Carpenter will be able to be put on the same program as the rest of the team's starters next spring.

So, someone with a medical degree, how does a nerve actually heal itself? Is it merely because it's a local nerve thing or what?

According to Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Cubs offered Jason Marquis and salary relief to the Mets for reliever Aaron Heilman. The Mets declined. It's been suggested the Cubs are willing to eat as much as $4MM of Marquis' $9.875MM.

Graziano seems to believe the Mets are targeting a Marquis-like free agent starter, Jon Garland.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
According to Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Cubs offered Jason Marquis and salary relief to the Mets for reliever Aaron Heilman. The Mets declined. It's been suggested the Cubs are willing to eat as much as $4MM of Marquis' $9.875MM.

Graziano seems to believe the Mets are targeting a Marquis-like free agent starter, Jon Garland.

Garland is much better, but also will be alot more money.

• 3 weeks later...
How hasn't Oliver Perez been signed yet? I know he isn't great but with what is out there, he should be somewhere by now. Come on Milwaukee or St. Louis.

Last time I read he and his agent (Boras) were expecting $14 million a year for 5 years. Derek Lowe will probably sign before him.

Michael Barrett signed with the Blue Jays on a minor league deal (HAW HAW)

CC and Tex both signed with the Yankees

Chan Ho Park signed with the Phillies

Cesar Izturis signed with the O's

Mark Loretta signed with the Dodgers

Casey Blake Re-signed with the Dodgers

Rafael Furcal re-signed with the Dodgers

Juan Rivera re-signed with the Angels

Corey Patterson signed a minor league deal with the Nats

Randy Johnson signed with the Giants

Jorge Sosa signed a minor league deal with the Nats

Kyle Farnsworth signed with the Royals

Astros re-signed Doug Brocail

Reds signed Arthur Rhodes

Indians signed Wood

Mets signed K-rod

Scott Downs was not a free agent as he signed a three year deal last January.