John Edwards Confirms Affair

sox4lifeinPA

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of events that directly led to Obama being the nominee and front runner for President. The Edwards angle is interesting, and it seems like a decent analysis. But I usually ignore all the factors except those that a campaign had/had direct control over. Bottom line, Obama has the best organization and has run the best campaign. He has rolled with some serious punches, both real and political smoke. I am certain some members of the GOP will do their best to taint Obama with this, (Rumors of Edwards being considered for a cabinet position, etc)

Edwards failed as a husband, father, and decent human being. He failed on the biggest stage possible. He obviously had little regard for his wife's feelings. And since he had no regard now the public will have no regard. Despite her pleas for privacy, this will continue to be on the front page for a week or two more. She will be stressed twice. I feel almost as ashamed as John should. So I will post my last post and make my infinitesimally small contribution to her request to stop the chatter.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
If Hillary Clinton didn't run such a sloppy campaign, if she didn't ignore caucus states, and if she had taken the Obama campaign seriously sooner, maybe she is the nominee now.

However, in related news, if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

How about if she hadn't voted for Bush's war?

OK, assume that Edwards drops out before Iowa. If Obama still beats Hil by an even larger margin, do they then start to take Obama seriously and run a better campaign? It could have been a wakeup call for them very early on which apparently they never got until too late. Or if the reverse happened, it was very close or Hil even would have won there, how would Obama have ran afterwards? WOuld the Hillary campaign jumped into ultra-agressive mode early? We need a wayback machine to find out, Mr. Peabody.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
There are hundreds, maybe thousands of events that directly led to Obama being the nominee and front runner for President. The Edwards angle is interesting, and it seems like a decent analysis. But I usually ignore all the factors except those that a campaign had/had direct control over. Bottom line, Obama has the best organization and has run the best campaign. He has rolled with some serious punches, both real and political smoke. I am certain some members of the GOP will do their best to taint Obama with this, (Rumors of Edwards being considered for a cabinet position, etc)

Edwards failed as a husband, father, and decent human being. He failed on the biggest stage possible. He obviously had little regard for his wife's feelings. And since he had no regard now the public will have no regard. Despite her pleas for privacy, this will continue to be on the front page for a week or two more. She will be stressed twice. I feel almost as ashamed as John should. So I will post my last post and make my infinitesimally small contribution to her request to stop the chatter.

I don't think you can say someone failed as a decent human being because of one action. one mistake. i've made my share. i've made some big ones. for example, i cheated on a girlfriend once. it's not something i'm proud of and in fact i truly regret ever having done it. but i dont think - and maybe i'm wrong - but i don't think that ONE mistake means i'm not a decent human being. but i do appreciate the last part of your post. it's an excellent point. and i'm going to join you in that. after all, you all pretty much know how i feel about it. what more needs to be said.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:13 AM)
So do you lose all respect for Martin Luther King, since J. Edgar Hoover thought he was a Communist and caught him cheating on his wife in hotel rooms? Just curious.

Sure, it isn't cool and all, but it's not like people who cheat on their loved ones are violent criminals or anything.

I do lose some respect for him, yes.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
I do lose some respect for him, yes.

Some. But obviously not all. It didn't, nor should it destroy what you think of him when you weigh it next to everything else he's accomplished (this applies to everyone, just using MLK as an example because everybody basically agrees on how great of a person he was).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
So do you lose all respect for Martin Luther King, since J. Edgar Hoover thought he was a Communist and caught him cheating on his wife in hotel rooms? Just curious.

Sure, it isn't cool and all, but it's not like people who cheat on their loved ones are violent criminals or anything.

We are not comparing the accomplishments of MLK and John Edwards are we?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:28 AM)
We are not comparing the accomplishments of MLK and John Edwards are we?

I knew somebody was going to ask that. No. I'm talking strictly about how everybody is ripping how Edwards is a s***bag of a person horrible person because he cheated around on his wife, to point out the fallacy of labeling someone's entire character based off one f***up. MLK just happens to be the easiest example because everybody knows at least most of his story.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
I knew somebody was going to ask that. No. I'm talking strictly about how everybody is ripping how Edwards is a s***bag of a person horrible person because he cheated around on his wife, to point out the fallacy of labeling someone's entire character based off one f***up. MLK just happens to be the easiest example because everybody knows at least most of his story.

For me its not that he cheated on his wife, though it doesn't help. The part that really cheeses me is tha the paraded his dying cancer ridden wife as one of his biggest reasons for everything in his campaign, and all of the policies that he wanted to enact. He wanted the whole rest of the country to make all of these changes because of the life changing experiences he has had, and it turns out that wasn't even enough to keep his pecker in his pants. If he had just cheated on his wife that would be one thing, but he used her to symbolize everything he stood for, and it turns out that wasn't important enough for him to consider as sacred. Screw John Edwards and the two faced horse he rode in on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
For me its not that he cheated on his wife, though it doesn't help. The part that really cheeses me is tha the paraded his dying cancer ridden wife as one of his biggest reasons for everything in his campaign, and all of the policies that he wanted to enact. He wanted the whole rest of the country to make all of these changes because of the life changing experiences he has had, and it turns out that wasn't even enough to keep his pecker in his pants. If he had just cheated on his wife that would be one thing, but he used her to symbolize everything he stood for, and it turns out that wasn't important enough for him to consider as sacred. Screw John Edwards and the two faced horse he rode in on.

Right. And I agreed with most of that earlier in the thread.

Still, I think he's human.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 06:47 AM)

Another point, besides the one that you just made, which is EXACTLY it for me:

How DARE the media run with this! Keep in mind that the Foley scandal broke pretty much right at election time in 2006, and this story was SAT ON for almost a year. The Enquirer just scooped every major news media outlet for a year. Now how does that happen?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)
Another point, besides the one that you just made, which is EXACTLY it for me:

How DARE the media run with this! Keep in mind that the Foley scandal broke pretty much right at election time in 2006, and this story was SAT ON for almost a year. The Enquirer just scooped every major news media outlet for a year. Now how does that happen?

Because nothing was proven until he came out and admitted it himself. Prior to that, it was nothing more than a typical front-page Enquirer story which means nothing, and the only thing that was confirmed was the fact that he went to the hotel. The media (reputable ones anyway) doesn't run with stories until they confirm facts.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
Because nothing was proven until he came out and admitted it himself. Prior to that, it was nothing more than a typical front-page Enquirer story which means nothing, and the only thing that was confirmed was the fact that he went to the hotel. The media (reputable ones anyway) doesn't run with stories until they confirm facts.

Didn't stop the NYT from running the McCain story (on the front page, no less), did it?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
Didn't stop the NYT from running the McCain story, did it?

No, that was just shoddy journalism. Trying to start something where there wasn't. That article was so lame, they never even came out and actually accused him of anything.

here's what bothers me.

I understand the cheating part.. that is between him and his wife and no one else.

How can he honestly think that none of this would have come out during the primary or general. Imagine if he was the nominee as many had hoped he would have been. Race over. All of that money, donations, opportunities, etc are wasted. especially after the Bill Clinton affair.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
here's what bothers me.

I understand the cheating part.. that is between him and his wife and no one else.

How can he honestly think that none of this would have come out during the primary or general. Imagine if he was the nominee as many had hoped he would have been. Race over. All of that money, donations, opportunities, etc are wasted. especially after the Bill Clinton affair.

And I'm glad it didn't turn out that way, Obama, Clinton, or anyone else aside.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
here's what bothers me.

It was until he made her a central part of his campaign. That changes all of the bets. Its the same reason all of the Larry Craig and Elliot Spitzer stuff was such a big deal, they made religion and law the main tenets of their campaigns, while simultaniously pissing all over them out of the public's eyes.

Usually I wouldn't post anything from the Enquirer, but then again, they are the ones who have been right on this story from day one, so here goes...

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/john_edwar...celebrity/65288

The ENQUIRER has uncovered bombshell new details about the John Edwards sex scandal after the former presidential candidate finally admitted he'd cheated on his cancer-stricken wife Elizabeth!

Edwards' headline-making admission confirmed The ENQUIRER's blockbuster world exclusive reports detailing his affair, in articles Edwards brazenly called "completely untrue" and "tabloid trash" while running for president and afterward.

And now The ENQUIRER has uncovered that Edwards' political operatives are still paying his mistress Rielle Hunter - and she was whisked away on a private jet two days before he confessed their extramarital affair on national TV!

The ENQUIRER has also confirmed that Edwards secretly visited Rielle and their love child three separate times at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Los Angeles this year - a fact that proves he is still lying to America and his wife.

ENQUIRER reporters caught Edwards, 55, making a late-night visit to 44-year-old Rielle and their daughter at the hotel on July 21 - which prompted us to release the first-ever photograph of him with his love child last week.

NOW, The ENQUIRER has uncovered more blockbuster information, including:

After Edwards confessed the affair to his wife, he restarted it, and was sexually involved with Rielle when she became pregnant.

Despite his denials, Edwards WAS aware that his former finance committee chairman, Fred Baron, was funneling money to Rielle.

Experts are now calling for a federal investigation into Edwards' use of campaign funds.

In an interview with ABC's Nightline correspondent Bob Woodruff on Aug. 8, the former North Carolina senator admitted for the first time that he engaged in what he called a "short" extramarital affair with campaign worker Rielle Hunter.

Edwards told ABC the affair was limited to 2006, before he confessed "the mistake" to wife Elizabeth, 59, who is battling a recurrence of breast cancer.

But Edwards denied he's the father of Rielle's daughter, who was born on Feb. 27, 2008. The ENQUIRER reported last December that Hunter had told close confidantes that he was the father.

In denying he fathered Rielle's baby, Edwards told ABC that he would "be happy" to take a paternity test to prove he's telling the truth. (He has refused numerous previous requests by The ENQUIRER to take a paternity test.)

Edwards claimed he ended the affair in 2006, but sources say he restarted the illicit romance after confessing to his wife.

Rielle soon became pregnant after the affair was rekindled, say sources.

The ongoing ENQUIRER investigation has also confirmed that he has been with Rielle and the baby three times this year in California.

"John Edwards is still lying!" a close source told The ENQUIRER.

"He lied to his wife Elizabeth, he's lying to Rielle and he lied all the way through his TV interview!"

Maybe I'm just too negative, but this doesn't surprise me at all. It seems like most politicians, regardless of party, are lying scumbags fully capable of doing something like this. I understand that cheating isn't considered a big deal in this country anymore, but also that this happened while his wife did not have cancer, but still, not good. The most bizarre part is Edwards took this risk knowing he would run for president again not long afterwards.

Edited by whitesoxfan101